Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Materials Pan Pastel Box…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Phil Bates

This may be helpful, or interesting… or not…

I knew that if I was going to use Pan Pastels regularly, I would have to figure out storage solution that didn’t involve screwing on each and every one to put them away. Fortunately, I found that all the Pan colors fit into a Medium Heilman Box if I removed the dividers. The Pans are shallow enough (about as thick as a Ludwig pastel stick) so that the covers fit on the box and it can be closed and transported just like you would a collection of pastel sticks. There is even room for applicators and stuff.

It makes putting the Pans away as simple as closing the box. This can make them truly portable and practical to use anywhere. They can even be used plein-air with the tripod mount. Here is my set-up:

The only catch is that 33 pans won’t fit on one side without cutting some grooves on the inside edges of the wood frame (see arrows below). I did this with a Dremel sanding cylinder and it only took 10 minutes. Well worth the hassle. Of course, John Heilman may be willing to make a box 1/4 inch bigger saving you this step.

Link for the Heilman Box: http://www.heilmandesigns.com

Hope this helps someone,
        Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
        Soli Deo Gloria
        http://www.prbates.com

rgb

You can’t tinker properly without a Dremel !!!

Beautiful display and so convenient. Congrats on finding a way to easily transport your pan pastels.

What a great idea! I always wondered how they could be stored…if I bought some. Thanks Phil.

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
            Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
            [/SIZE]

Phil – thanks for posting this, but I have a question. When you close the box, do you have a sheet of foam or whatever to keep them from falling out? I am not familiar with the Heilman to know what else is included to keep pastels from flipping out as the lid closes.

Phil Bates

Phil – thanks for posting this, but I have a question. When you close the box, do you have a sheet of foam or whatever to keep them from falling out? I am not familiar with the Heilman to know what else is included to keep pastels from flipping out as the lid closes.

Hi Kathryn,
                Yes, there are foam backed plywood covers that slip into place and are held by little brass tabs.

Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                Soli Deo Gloria

ahhh!!! …. good photo that answers my question … thank you

This is off topic slightly – but do you use the Pan Pastels for plein air on a regular basis? Use for underpainting? for the full painting? first or second layers?

Phil Bates

ahhh!!! …. good photo that answers my question … thank you

This is off topic slightly – but do you use the Pan Pastels for plein air on a regular basis? Use for underpainting? for the full painting? first or second layers?

Well…I use them sometimes, not regularly. I’ll either use them for adjusting the underpainting, or for water reflections. Sometimes I use the black for darkening masses that need it. I wish they came in more neutral colors.

In the following painting, the water is Pan Pastel:

Liquid Ambience, 12 x 16, mounted Wallis paper

Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                    Soli Deo Gloria

They have such a nice soft effect… perfect for reflections. Beautiful piece!

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
                    Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
                    [/SIZE]

That’s gorgeous Phil – love the water reflections, but beyond that, I truly admire the laciness of the tree foliage.

Interesting that you use black in your painting – that might be an interesting thread topic.

Phil Bates

I agree that it would make an interesting thread. :)

I typically don’t use black for opaque marks(I like violet much better!). But because of the sponge applicator, the Pan Pastel black goes on semi-transparent, allowing me to darken areas of the painting that need a little more separation.

Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                        Soli Deo Gloria

PeggyB

Thanks for the tip, Phil. This is a beautiful example of how the sticks and pans work well together.

Did you know you can create new colors of PanPastels? I learned this from DonnaA (Aldridge) when I went to her workshop last March. Use some of those many unused lids to scrape your chosen colors into. Mix them with some rubbing alcohol (if you can find the higher percentage type use that as it dries faster). Once the mixture is completely dry it works just like the other Pans. This way you can create all the neutrals you want.

Peggy

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                            www.peggybraeutigam.com

Phil Bates

Wow Peggy! Thanks for the tip! :)

Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                                Soli Deo Gloria

robertsloan2

Phil and Peggy, thanks for the tips! I am very tempted now to get a Heilman box, that’s a great way to have them all handy and convenient.

Peggy, I didn’t realize it’d be that easy to make combination colors. The sets come with extra lids and extra containers too that have sponges and things in them, so if I wanted to do a good quantity of a combination color all I’d need to do is get a couple of extra pans to mix it and then use one of the sponge storage holders to keep it in — and give that its own lid of course.

Actually if I got the Heilman box setup I would need to get packs of lids, since my set didn’t come with enough lids to have all the pans lidded at the same time. Currently they live in stacks three or four pans high organized by color, which is a workable arrangement if I’m working in a small area and don’t have space to lay out all of them at once. I shuffle the colors I’m using to the top of the stack and then cover them when I’m done.

But if I was outdoors just having them all in the Heilman box would be great. I’d still be unlidding them because I’d make sure to have lids on each but it’d be easier to see everything I had all at once. It’s cool that the full range fits in something that reasonable sized that I could bring them all out on a trip. Also they might survive travel better than sticks.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                    Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                    blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Phil Bates

Robert, with the Heilman box you wouldn’t have to lid the Pan Pastels to put them away, in fact the thickness of the lids would probably keep the plywood covers from fitting. Just my 2 cents. :)

Phil

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                                        Soli Deo Gloria

jemgold

Phil, Thanks for the tip of using the pans mixed with the regular soft pastels. Great idea. I love the look you got in the water on this painting. Gosh I learn so much on WC – everyone is so giving!
                                            thanks for sharing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.