WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Sandblaster Recommendations?

O confusion plus
I was told the CFM is the most important
That the pressure in any of tanks would not last long so you would have to have a compressor attached to maintain a good CFM delivery system.

I think I'll just take our mechanic at work to harbor frieght with me and figure out what to buy.

I'm at the point where I found the shed I need for my backyard to house my sandblasing equipment and propane kiln (costco special 6wx 8L x 7H) so I'm getting down to the nitty gritty (pun intented).

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
(costco special 6wx 8L x 7H)

You got a kiln at Costco?

Do like my DH, if X is good 5X must be better!

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

O no not kiln - a nice size shed so I can do sandblasting and keep my propane kiln in there to use. I just keep growing and growing.......

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M
Hey people, keep in mind you are not sand blasting a train engine here.... Its a little bead and equipment does not have to BE BIG Small compressors and small SB units may worke quite well....

Dale

Exactly the conclusion I came to last night when I played with my Sandblaster-in-a-can from Michaels. IT WORKED PERFECTLY. So today I ordered a setup from Cyclone. Small, tabletop cabinet... Well, here's the specs for it. Even THIS would probably be overkill if I had no intention of blasting slightly larger stuff (perfume bottles, etc.).

PBH2000 Combination Blaster

Overall Dimensions: 21" (h) x 23 1/2" (w) x 18 1/2" (d)
Working Dimensions: 14" (h) x 22 1/2" (w) x 18" (d)
Window: 20 1/4" x 16 1/4"
Construction: Polyethylene plastic construction
Gun Assemblies (2): Pencil: (.060) 1 1/2 CFM @ 80-90 PSI
Trigger-operated: 5 CFM @ 80-90 PSI
Electrical: 110 Volts
Dust Collector: Not included
Weight: 30 lbs. (UPS)

I ordered directly from the manufacturer, and they were very helpful. They had one in their scratch and dent room at a great discount. She said it isn't even scratched or dented, and had never been used. It was $125, which includes both a pencil and trigger nozzle, abrasive canister, foot pedal, cabinet, safety goggles and some other stuff.

They also carry the appropriate abrasive medium. I went with the 220 grit Aluminum Oxide. You have to get it in 50 lb boxes, so if anyone in my area needs some grit, just let me know and I'll share. Shipping is a LOT for this stuff.

Linda, the person who helped me, said that Aluminum Oxide will destroy a standard ceramic tip in no time, so I took her suggestion and ordered a tungsten carbide tip for $17, I think.

I think I've finally found the perfect compressor: 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, it's oilless and it's $80.

You can bet I will keep you guys posted. I can't wait to get started. LOL! LOOK OUT WORLD! TINK IS GETTING ANOTHER TOOL!!!

Last edited by Tink : 02-16-2004 at 11:54 AM. Reason: to add info about compressor...
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Hails from United States

Anyone have any pics of beads that were sandblasted,would like to see what kind of effect it does.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 12:01 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

There's a wide range of effects you can get with sandblasting... From a delicate etched effect, to a deeply carved effect.

I would have posted the pics here, but I don't think that would be nice to do without the permission of the artists.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Well that was fast ---- Hmmmmmm
The compressor is good....hmmm the tungsten nozzzles thats a great price for the cabinet -

One question where does your 220 grit sit and come from ? is it in a container (your list says abrasive canister, a pressurized container or how does that work ? ?

STill shopping

Last edited by dread : 02-16-2004 at 02:17 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 03:03 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
Well that was fast ---- Hmmmmmm
The compressor is good....hmmm the tungsten nozzzles thats a great price for the cabinet -

One question where does your 220 grit sit and come from ? is it in a container (your list says abrasive canister, a pressurized container or how does that work ? ?

STill shopping

It's that little can sitting to the left of the cabinet. Centre DeVerre carries the setup I got, and it looks like this (Cyclone) is the only brand they carry.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 AM

Saw this thread, and thought I'd share. I'm lucky, because I share a pressure pot blast cabinet with my husband (he has one for his auto projects). You'll want to get a decent dust collector (breathing glass dust is no bueno). Aluminum oxide or silicon carbide work well for etching, as they have a hardness that is greater than that of glass.