WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How many beads do you make in a week?
less than 10 68 11.30%
11-50 290 48.17%
51-100 119 19.77%
101-150 59 9.80%
151-200 34 5.65%
201-250 13 2.16%
more than 250 19 3.16%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
San Francisco, CA

Re: How many beads do you make in a week?

I love this thread - IMHO, making one bead a week or 500, it really doesn't matter as long as you are enjoying what you are doing! Production vs artistic expression? What does it matter what you call it? We are all CREATING – giving form and color to something from nothing (well, almost nothing . . . just pieces of glass). I have only been torching for three months but have done my share of "artisitc" stuff. . . got my masters in fine arts and drew, painted, did printmaking, photography, ceramics, sculpture, woodworking, jewelry. To me, it's not what you make but the process of (and your joy in) creating that matters in the end.

Hayley

p.s. I make about 20-30 beads a week - my fish beads take 20-30 minutes each and I usually do 4-5 of those a week.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Richmond, VA

Hails from United States

I'm with you too, Jamie. The longer I do this, the slower I get. I used to make a nice little pile of beads in one sitting, but now if I get two beads done in 2 hours, I've had a good night. I guess that puts me at 10 or 12 beads a week...

I've gotten more critical, so I pick and fuss at things. The oxygen bill has gone up, but the glass bill has gone down...

-- Susan
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Somewhere between 100-150 most weeks, which includes a morning torch and sometimes an afternoon torch. Time flies if there is a good program on the radio, or a good song.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Coleman, Texas

Hails from United States

Okay--Okay....I make 11-50 a week....This is done in a couple of evenings and most of Saturday--when I get the chance....My husband keeps saying, "Why don't you sell your jewelry instead of giving it away?" I love to give something I've made to people that I care about--knit--crochet--glass-sewing--ceramics.... I truly love to make things--That's my gift to me. Giving it away is my gift to others. I like my 40 hr./wk job billing for a hospital (but I'd rather be home "playing"-- just can't afford to play without the job! )...but the stress relief of making things is truly a gift for me. If I sold my things, that would make it "WORK"(ie. dirty word) and no longer would give me the stress relief and joy that it does... Like others have mentioned, as I've gotten better at beadmaking, I spend more time on techniques...but again, every minute doing something I really want to do is pure indulgence for me--My problems melt away....... Cathy
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Hawthorn, VIC, AU

Hails from Australia

I'm lucky if I can make two a week. For a noobie, this presents a problem... lack of making beads at a crucial time when learning skills prolongs the agony of not being able to rotate mandrel, apply glass, sneeze and push the cat out of the way at once. I expect to do all that successfully in the near future.

University, study, part time work, study, cook, clean, research, study, study, sleep. Cuts into bead making time.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Coleman, Texas

Hails from United States

Valintine...I hear you on the study thing......I graduated with a B.A. at 42 years old....Sleep, eat, study.....that was my whole routine.... I'm glad I survived, but am even happier that it's over and I can spend a bit more time on the things I WANT to do!!! Hang in there...Things will get better!
Cathy---50 years old and glad of it!
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2007, 01:20 AM
California

Hails from United States

Since I have been using an oxygen tank till my O2 concentrator get here, I have only been able to go about 2 1/2 - 3 hours at a time (since I have a DANG SMALL TANK). I can get about 10 - 15 beads per session. I am getting up and checking the boys (7 months and 2) who are with my mom while I take a break to "make a bead at a bead shop" as my 2 year old says. So that cuts in to the time some....I wish I could do it more! I love seeing what wil come out of the kiln when its done cooling down!
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 PM

Its almost embarassing to say how many dichroic beads a first time fuser can make in a week. As many as famous Amos can make cookies. Its a real loaded issue and has affected the perception of artglass in general imo. I appreciate the incredible patience and creativity that beadmakers have. If you think about it, lampworking is the only hot glass genre where an individual can sit and patiently craft an object, like in other mediums of sculpture. Offhand glassblowing sure isn't like that. Its much more phrenetic and not the lone artist struggling for days or weeks on a piece. That's what also almost lends an aspect of scam to offhand glassblowing in some ways. One could argue.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
New Zealand - Raglan by the Sea

Hails from New Zealand

How many? Hm. Tricky question.

Depends which design I'm making. A medium Cynara (scales, 96 dots pp) takes me, say, 20 minutes. Same for a Starry Night. An average Monet (lots of dots with twisted pulled stringer) about 12, 15. A focal Monet 20, 25. A Rainbow (barrel, unicoloured) 3 if the air bubbles are annoying, if not, maybe 2 minutes. A (as this disgruntled character uttered somewhere here) "piece of glass with a hole in it" takes me 30 to 60 seconds. With dots a few seconds more. I'm using a Nortel Minor and Moretti on 2.4, 4 and 6 mm (selfcut) mandrels, homemade release - and wouldn't you just believe it: they all have holes in it. Bugger...

So it really depends. Sometimes I make 500 a week, sometimes 50. Sometimes zilch. None in summer. Couldn't be bothered. Too hot in the studio, the beach is beckoning. None when I'm hungry, feeling the urgent resp. dire need to cook something exciting. Oh, and none in (our NZ-) Winter. Coz' that's when we travel to Europe. To see glass artists and factories there, of course...

Last edited by gömböc : 08-15-2008 at 08:20 PM.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Ijamsville, MD

Hails from United States

This poll doesn't take into account the time involved. I would love to know how long it takes most beadmakers to make what they are making.
Especially if we could see a pic with their times. If Lori Greenberg can only sit for an hour and a half, I guess her fab beads take her an hour and a half...Yes?
My beads take two hours to make. A week of five, eight hour days at my torch gives me twenty beads, of which ten are saleable.
And I love it! Whee!
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
SE Massachusetts...exit 3 off 95s :D

Hails from United States

OK, I selected 10-50, and I too, am on the lower side of that range.
The more important factor, that the poll listing doesn't bring up is how many of you who are listing up to 250+ beads a week are doing this PROFESSIONALLY??

Even with my 10-50 the more important question for me is how many of those 10-50 of mine are "keepers!" I'm still experimenting when I torch
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I think there should be another category on the chart....it should be NOT ENOUGH!!!! No matter how many I make...I always want to make more...my job is interferring with my torch time!!!! Don't you hate when that happens!!!!???
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 AM

Isn't how many you can sell more important then how many you can make?
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I agree that it's fun to sell them...but it is always a challenge to learn more and new techniques....and remember....Beads of Courage always need more beads too. So TORCH ON!!!
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Thailand

Hails from Thailand

About 140-160 beads. WoW I'm wonder myself