Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Whale Rocks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

I live near a city nature preserve, which used to be a regional scout camp. The greenway that winds through my neighborhood follows a small stream that borders the park, and a cluster of large smooth rocks sits in one of the bends in the creek. They are called the Whale Rocks because they look like a small pod of whales.

Anyway, this is my first painting of the rocks. I’ve struggled finding the right viewpoint to paint and photograph them, but I like the way the sunlight was defining the shape of the rocks on this particular day. The effect is rather “striped” but that’s what it looked like. I will paint them again sometime from a different angle and lighting.

RandyP

Lookin’ Good, Tom!!

Randy

CaliAnn

Lovely painting Tom – when you paint the scene again from the different angle, you should post it with this beside it – would be interesting to see

Old Radagast

They do look like whales on some level – tricky to paint – but I like the light and moss all over them. Nice job on the background trees, too, as they fade away into a mix of sky blue and faded winter colors.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                    My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

TomMather

Thanks for the kind remarks. I will paint this scene again from a different vantage point and post the results.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.