Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Big Daddy – xp swwestern

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ron

16 x 16 inch pastel on masonite with two coats of clear Colorfix primer. Mount Vision and Ludwig pastels used.

Its been forever since I’ve painted wildlife. Since bison portraits are common subjects in my area, I decided to be a bit different and incorporate a more abstract background just for fun.

Thanks for looking and commenting :thumbsup:

franglais

What a majestic beast the bison is! And to think they once roamed the plains in huge numbers! Love your use of the purples and lavenders in the shadows. And a nice creative take on the background!

Mike

Humburger

I love it. Great job.

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

Donna T

Powerful piece, Ron! I like the bold, graphic shapes of the background very much. Your choice of the turquoise color gives it a nice Southwest feel too. Perfect title for this beauty!

Donna
                    C&C Always Welcome

water girl

Everything pulls together quite nicely because of your wonderful background. Well done, Ron!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Dea

Nice, I like the colours and the background is perfect
                            Deanna

Deanna Field

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.

Ron

Mike, Ginny, Donna, Karen, Deanna– thank you, appreciate your comments as always!

Donna– the turquoise was for southwest feel, but also to add some cool color temperature shapes to complement the predominant warm colors

ShaunGamache

I love how the bison works with the background, very successful

Shaun Gamache
                                    Www.shaungamache.com
                                    I Am that I Am
                                    C and c welcome

mercbill

Excellent painting, great use of background colors.

IMaybe

:clap: I love the way the colors sorta “pop” in the fur. good complementary. contrast there.

Mmm_Pasta

This is very vibrant. Those oranges next to the purples and blues are gorgeous!

Ron

Sorry for not getting back sooner….

Shaun, mercbill, Mmm pasta – thank you for your comments, always appreciated!

Ida– wow, great to “see” you! Thanks for the comments. This was just a fun piece to play around and try something different.

PeggyB

Very nice Ron! Your choice of background certainly will set this beauty off in any “Wyoming” setting you may display it. You mentioned the turquoise background is meant to have a southwest feeling, but I immediately saw it as the wide open blue skies of Wyoming/Colorado. Either way its perfect for this painting.

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                                                        www.peggybraeutigam.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.