Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Faber Castell polychromos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ArtfulJosh

I’m getting a sample of these from dickblick.com, I was wondering about the white though. I really like the way the prismacolor white pops out on say toned paper, or over like marker, but over another colored pencil, it sucks. Does the white polychromos go over the other colors pretty well, or is there any other colored pencil out there where the white lays on top easy?

Batsielicious

It’s decent but not as good as Prismacolor, and nowhere near the quality of Derwent Drawing Chinese White.

Art with wings - batsielicious.com

Crabby2

I’ll second that remark! Derwent chinese white wins hands down.

Diane
                Different Strokes for Different Folks....

Hoofnpaw

We should add white Gouache–don’t know but I have a feeling it will be the most opaque, maybe depending on brand.

Sean

It is not what you look at that matters, it is what you see. --Henry David Thoreau

Batsielicious

Guache and acrylic paint are pretty equal when it comes to highlighting, that’s why I only used one of them in my test swatch (that and the paper was quite small). You can get true white without any transparency with both of them if you use them undiluted with water, though you may need to use a couple of thin layers if you want to avoid ending up with texture from the paint. I think guache usually dries out a bit thinner than acrylic paint.

whitmire

I have used Guache for highlights and whiskers and I like it, however, I am always looking for something I like better. I will try the chinese white.

Batsielicious

Derwent Drawing China White won’t get you as deep a white as guache for whiskers, but it does layer on top of other colors better than other brands of pencils I’ve tried. It’s good for lightening areas in general, and blends well with Polychromos at least.

Fuchur

Polychromos white is pretty useless if you are drawing on white paper. Its only effect over a layer of coloured pencil is dulling the colour, nothing more. You will not get highlights with Polychromos white. As a matter of fact I have yet to find a white pencil that will work as a highlight white. Luminance white is better than Polychromos, but it will still not pop on top of another coloured pencil. I usually leave my highlights paper white.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
                                    That perches in the soul -
                                    And sings the tune without the words -
                                    And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

ArtfulJosh

well i went ahead and used some gouache for the highlights, I like the way it’s coming so far.

brissie

This looks wonderful and I know from a botanical art class I took in coloured pencil they only accept either white pastel pencil or gouache so you’re on track

KLP1480

I didn’t see the CDA Luminance white on there. It pops MORE than the Derwent Chinese white on toned paper. It will even resist layering over it, as if you have embossed the paper!

Kathy in rural North Carolina
                                                www.facebook.com/kpatterson521

Fuchur

Concerning CDA Luminace white; I have it. Don’t know how it does on toned paper, I usually use white paper. However, if you want to use the CDA Luminance white pencil as a highlighter on top of coloured pencils it’s a wee bit better than the Polychromos, but for me it is still not white enough, plus you have to press real hard for it to show. I believe the best strategy is to leave highlights white from the start.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
                                                    That perches in the soul -
                                                    And sings the tune without the words -
                                                    And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Polychromos white is pretty useless if you are drawing on white paper. Its only effect over a layer of coloured pencil is dulling the colour, nothing more. You will not get highlights with Polychromos white. As a matter of fact I have yet to find a white pencil that will work as a highlight white. Luminance white is better than Polychromos, but it will still not pop on top of another coloured pencil. I usually leave my highlights paper white.

I use a hard pastel stick from Faber over a finished CP drawing. They stick quite well. As long as you do not plan on continue drawign over it.. works ok.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

frida

I am planning a botanical drawing on black, and your comments and especially Batsielicious’ tests interested me. I tried something and wish to add my experience, which I did on Arches Black Cover.

First I didn’t get the same result with Derwent Studio white, maybe because it is an old pencil of mine? But I did some layering and the range of values I’ve got reminded me of Batsielicious amazing birds!!!

1. I started with Derwent Studio
                                                        2. used Prisma white on top. DS being a hard/er pencil is a great base for the waxy PC.
                                                        3. then I used General’s Charcoal White for the brightest

The fun part was adding soft edges to the test with Verithin white, which still helps to clean up the edges, as a sharp DS also does. I tried as well Coloursoft and the water soluble Stabilo white (used it dry), but those three above seemed the best combination…

Plus… I needed some dark points, and had no problem picking some pigment up with an embosser over the sticky film used as a mask to airbrush, which is my handy helper to clean up edges and remove CP pigment.

If scanning the test will tell the story I’ll post it later…!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

frida

I looked at the tests at the top and now I see it says Derwent Drawing white. I don’t have that pencil, only D Studio Chinese White…

The blob around the centre is what I tried to do with a Uni-ball Signo “pigment ink” pen.

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.