Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting A simple, safe way to prevent beading up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Alan P. in OC

Hello everyone,
        I just wanted to pass on a tip I recently learned that really helps me with the problem of beading up. For those that don’t know what this is, it’s when you go to apply paint onto a surface and the paint (or medium or oil, if you’re painting into a couch) ‘beads up’, like water on a freshly-waxed car. This often occurs when there’s a shiny, glossy surface, often due to using stand oil or a resin in your medium mix.

Anyway, the tip is to lightly rub/brush on a little Windex over the area in which you’re going to paint. This works wonderfully, and does NOT remove any paint… you just put it on, wipe off or gently blot off what didn’t already evaporate, and paint (or put your couch in, then paint).

I didn’t come up with this; I learned it reading a blog post from a great, well-respected artist, Sadie J. Valeri.
        Here’s her take on it, for those interested:

http://www.sadievaleri.com/blog/2013/12/6/windex-for-removing-lint-from-a-oil-painting.html

She uses it to clean paintings, which works well too, and also to prevent beading.

I used to use a little OMS to perform the same function, but there was always a danger of taking off paint, even a little; and for those of us who paint thinly and in layers, this is not a good thing:).

I used the Windex on paint 2 days dry, a slow-drying paint actually, and it took nothing off. The paint sticks well, the couch, if used, goes on with no beading, and it seems to be totally safe.

I keep a specific brush to apply it and don’t put it in my turp jar, just to make sure there’s no contamination. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on, it will also work right before you varnish to clean the painting and prevent the varnish from beading up.

Cheers!

snoball

This is good to know, thanks!

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

Dcam

Cool Beans Alan: There’s a lot of ammonia in Windex. I wonder if straight ammonia might be too strong?

Derek

Alan P. in OC

Cool Beans Alan: There’s a lot of ammonia in Windex. I wonder if straight ammonia might be too strong?

Derek

Don’t know, Derek, before I learned this I was going to try a weaker rubbing alcohol, but the windex just works, and doesn’t have nearly the same strong smell as pure (or even very diluted) ammonia. Really, it works so well and safely, not removing even 2 day old paint, that for once, I’m done with experimenting:).

Ron Francis

Thank Alan.

Ron
                        www.RonaldFrancis.com

ianuk

Yes thanks, I find this sometimes happens if I’m using just linseed oil as a medium.

troutbum

Is this anything like “oiling up” or “oiling down” a painting, but using Windex instead of an oil?
                                troutbum

[FONT=Times New Roman]troutbum

Ron Francis

Is this anything like “oiling up” or “oiling down” a painting, but using Windex instead of an oil?
                                    troutbum

Nothing like it. Oiling out, or applying a couch of oil, puts a thin layer of oil on the surface to make it appear wet and bring back the original colours. This can be useful for matching colours when continuing on an area. It also makes the surface more slippery which can help with some techniques in applying more paint.

Windex is used for an entirely different purpose and would have the opposite effect of oiling out. It etches the surface of the paint making it rougher and giving it more tooth so that the next layer will stick better.
                                    You could use Windex to etch the surface and then oil out afterwards.

Ron
                                    www.RonaldFrancis.com

Alan P. in OC

You could use Windex to etch the surface and then oil out afterwards.

That is Exactly the purpose for the windex, and as I mentioned it’s perfect for it.

Forestgrass

This is so helpful. Thank you very much! :-)

oCDs01-711

Thanks for the tip!

Shirley:wave:

There are three classes of people: Those who see. Those who see when shown. Those who do not see. --Leonardo da Vinci

Anonymous

very good, first time I heard of this.

You can also use an onion. Cut it in half and lightly rub on the surface of the painting. :D

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

tuzigoot

Cool. Thanks.
                                                        Gotta wonder who thought- Hey – maybe an onion will solve my problem here…………

[FONT=Garamond]- Linda .......... [FONT=Garamond]C/C always welcome!
                                                        [FONT=Garamond]I started with nothing - I still have most of it left.
                                                        My website - www.flanaganstudio.com

Bradicus

Great tip, thanks,
                                                            Brad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘A simple, safe way to prevent beading up!’ is closed to new replies.