Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts The Wedding Bouquet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lena

So my youngest daughter is planning to get married in September. She asked me to make her a wedding bouquet.
        I am knitting it. Some of it is my own pattern and some of it will be from other peoples designs.

She wants a herbal themed bouquet. She has always been fascinated by herbal lore. Her wedding will be a bit different (No goats!)

Both of them are into scifi and historical recreation so that will be worked into the theme somehow. The groomsmen will have boutonnieres of Power Rangers and the bridesmaids will have corsages based on Sailor Scouts…..

Here are the first photos
        Sage leaves – my own design

Tansy and curly kale

These are based on other designs
        Gingko leaves
        (summer 2012 interweave knits)

Tansy leaves
        used a softer version of holly leaves

Kale
        used the holly leaves cast on for the ginkgo leaves, left out the first row of the leave shaping of the ginkgo, did a few random purl rows on the front.

So fare there is this

I found a wonderful book of knit flowers ”Noni Flowers”
        As soon as I have finised 2 more branches, one of tansy and another of basil, I can start the flowers.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

The sage leaves:
            Sage leaves:
            2 mm needles
            cast on 3 and do an I-cord for 6 cm
            increase 1
            knit 1 round
            split onto circular
            (k1, m1, k1) twice
            knit 1 round

(k1, knit into next below stitch, knit stitch through the back, knit into same stitch below – increase of 2 into same stitch, k1) twice.
            Knit next row knitting the centre increase stitch through the back and every second row.
            (k2, knit into next below stitch, knit stitch through the back, knit into same stitch below – increase of 2 into same stitch, k2) twice.
            Continue until you have 9 stitches on each side.

(K2tog,k2, knit into next below stitch, knit stitch through the back, knit into same stitch below – increase of 2 into same stitch, k2, K2 tog through the back) twice.
            Knit next row knitting the centre increase stitch through the back
            repeat these 2 until leave measures 7 cm.
            every second row do the decreases and twisted stitch only until you have 3 stitches left. Knit the round.
            slip 2 as to knit, knit 1 pass slip stitches over, twice.
            cut yarn and put through the two loops.
            Total leaf size about 8 cm

Dark green (basil) leaves
            wider version of the sage leaves, increase until you have 11 or 13 stitches each side, do a few increase& decrease rows as above, then continue the increase/decrease rows but decrease also on the knit rows in between.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

This is turning out so great.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I started on the flowers.
                    Wood violets.

At the bottom you can just see half of the first oversized one.

Note wires used in the project:
                    30 gauge silver wire (flowers and small leaves)
                    26 gauge green wire
                    22 gauge green florist wire in straight 18 inch lengths for the stems.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

More flowers. I had to get some smaller needles 1.25 mm for these.

I first made a cornflower (though it was called chicory in the book) But the blue clashed with everything else.

Then I made this chamomile/daisy one. After washing it, it looked great. This is the same yarn as the stockings. Washing snugged up the stitches and made the yarn bloom a bit.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Your daughter is going to love this.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Another flower.

I am taking a break on the tiny tight knitting for a few days and doing a big loose shawl. My wrist is already thanking me for doing this.:lol:

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Gotta take care of the wrists and hands or you can’t do the fun stuff. It’s looking fabulous.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena, this is BRILLIANT!!!! Yes, I can see how the washing benefits the leaves – and letting the fiber bloom aka the flowers. Wonderful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

No Goats, eh? With all those lovely herbs :lol: :lol: :lol:
                                    Jen

Jennifer Landau
                                    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

Thanks Jen!

No goats though there will be a 2 year old. His father (the bridegroom) suggested I knit him little F-bombs to throw at the audience….. I said “Speak to my daughter!”

Doll Art by Lena

NerfHerder

LenaB, this is gorgeous!

Lena

Thank you!

I have started back on this since I finished the shawl (actually 3 shawls) :lol:

I have made a few more white flowers and 3 red ones. I am currently working on yellow tansy but it is looking more like dandelions. Oh well. Dandelions were herbs too once. :wink2:

Doll Art by Lena

NerfHerder

Oh, I just saw a photo of shawl #3, I think. :thumbsup: Did it give your hands a good break?

Have you broken any needles yet? I snapped a double-pointed on a pair of socks once :lol: :(

Lena

My needles are all bent like pretzels!:lol:

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

I did some more work on the bouquet

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.