Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio February 2013 Watercolor Challenge – Hibiscus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)
  • Author

Another change of subject this month, a Hibiscus which I photographed at Toledo Zoo. This image works well as a Macro, and I have chosen a crop for the basic image. You may want to follow the convetion of letting the flower touch 3 sides of the painting but I suppose this could be done when matting. Here’s the crop, the full image is available in the RIL HERE.

Enjoy! I look forward to seeing your paintings. Post them in this thread,

Here’s a link to last month’s challenge.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

peteralv

Beautiful this challenge…..thanks Doug.

I have some difficulties for acceding by de link to the full image in the RIL.

Pedro

Sorry Pedro, I corrected the link. Click on the RIL picture to get a larger version.

Doug

Gorgeous photo, Doug!

I’ve hardly ever painted flowers, but I’ll give it a go…:)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Verdana]Elaine

Here’s one I painted in class. 1×11 on Saunders Waterford 200lb rough.

My class painted this last week, I’ll get a photo.

Doug

catjoe

I love hibiscus flowers. Your painting is lovely Doug. Thanks for the inspiration. Kathy

Kathy
            I love friends to visit my blog: My Blog: Minding My P's with Q

Margareth56

Thank for the new challenge Doug, again I find it really challenging
                You have made a wonderful painting

Margareth
                Lets not forget that we are the ones that create beauty, each in our own special and unique way
                Our creations touch people, so by doing what we do, we help creating a better world

kayakartist

One of my favorite flowers…can’t wait to try this one!

Maribeth

mkillough

You have done justice to a lovely challenge, Doug! :clap:

It brings back good memories for me. My Dad had a hibiscus just this color growing at the corner of our house and it had blooms on it almost the size of dinner plates.

Have a great day!
                        Maryq

It is light that gives mystery to shadow, vibration to atmosphere, and makes all the color notes sing together in harmony. ~Theodore Clement Steele

Happy February Doug and thanks for posting such a lovely flower, will try.

LIL

WthrLady

Funny ! I JUST started another Hibiscus from the RIL last night!

That’s lovely, Doug! Can I ask what colour you used as the base for the petals? I went with permanent rose which is, of course, a bit too pink for this to be close to the photo, but it’s what I had sitting in my palette at the time, lol!

This is mine:

It’s 6in x 6in, so just a tiddler. I wished I’d bothered to mask the stamen and anthers (is that what they’re called? school biology was a long time ago!) then I wouldn’t have had to use a spot or two of white gouache to recover them at the end :rolleyes: I lost the tonal variation through the petals a bit too, so they’ve ended up a bit flatter-looking than I hoped.

But I’m not unhappy with it, and I certainly enjoyed doing it – in fact, I’ll probably have another go! :D

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Verdana]Elaine

Wonderful shadows Elaine. Congratulations on being #1 to post.

I at first used permanent rose but then put a wash of Napthol Red over the whole of the petals to make it redder.

Doug

catjoe

Elaine, that is very pretty. I am still thinking about painting…hopefully I will soon stop thinking and just paint. I like your style! :)

Kathy
                                I love friends to visit my blog: My Blog: Minding My P's with Q

Michele Clamp

I think it’s wonderful Elaine. I prefer it to the original photo.

Michele http://micheleclamp.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.