Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Can I recover this piece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jennie

I painted this in acrylic on board a couple of years ago. Its an image from a local park. Not finshed. I put it away when I realised the focal point was all wrong.

I would like to change the focus if possible. All I can think of is remove the bottom of the trunk and push it back into the image and then cover the path hole and add a focal point in a better position. Or, make it a huge tree that blanks out a lot of the right and top space?

Jennie
        "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
        @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

virgil carter

Well…there’s some attractive light and colors happening here–congratulations!

It’s another painting with a major shape (tree) in the center of the composition. My first step would be to remove it by painting the background over it. I’d also consider painting out the strong diagonal tree shape, unless that is to become your focal point.

Thereafter, I’d restudy my composition using the Rule of Thirds, and create a focal point, using contrast, on one or the other of the third points.

Good luck,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

🤟🏻

What if you put a woodland animal/anything else in front of that broken tree on the left and called that your focus? That spot where the leaves are redder almost looks like it’s begging for something curled up napping

Paul Moreau
                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                FB @pmoreaufineart

~JMW~

It feels like it could use some darks or cool tones , some contrast?
                    The yellow area feels humped or tilted, is that the path or does the path start in middle somewhere and go back to the right?
                    So many trees curving to the left and the one very straight one feels odd, then the one tree branch curving strongly to the right..

I’d think about it and do some sketches/planning ideas before going forward.
                    It’s worth trying , I often learn the most when trying to “fix” things..

~Joy~

bookat

Hey! I think this is a beautiful piece so far, the colours are lovely! If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about it not having the proper focal point. With this piece, I think part of the intrigue is that the viewer’s eye wanders and explores the different patches of colour and swirls of branches—I’ve heard it called a “meander” composition (where there is no obvious focal point). I definitely agree that the diagonal tree could be softened, it creates such a strong line that conflicts a bit with the flow of the surrounding trees. Just some thoughts! :)

Jennie

Thanks Virgil. I was attached to all the trees because they were there. But I’m over that now. Next time I’ll plan more carefully!

Yes JustADude, I like that idea. A large kangaroo could work perfectly.

Thanks JMW, the area is sloped. I have been playing with a digital image to see what would work.

Cheers bookat. Many thanks for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Thanks everyone. Now when I look at it my mind wont’ be blank.

Jennie
                            "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe

Jennie

Looked at this for a long time before editing.

It is still a WIP, but closer to being finished. I think. I have edited the depth by adding more soft colours, added a holding spot for boy on bike – middle left in the space between vertical and horizontal trunks, disguised the problem tree, and altered the right hand side to try and drag the view across the painting.

All comments and suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Jennie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.