Home Forums Explore Media Clay What type of polymer to use for sculpting?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JBobaloo

Hi Everyone!

I’m struggling to get to the root of which polymer clay is best for sculpting figures. I’ve perused the Blue Bottle Tree and gathered some helpful info there but could use some suggestions as I don’t want to buy more products and then find out they aren’t fit for my projects. I’d say my pieces will have thin parts and some medium thick sections (think slender fish, thin fins…). I’ve heard Super Sculpeys are too brittle, Premo’s are better, etc. Any advice?

honey hatter

Hey jb I make miniatures and use premo, love premo because it’s not as soft as other clays. That said “sculpey iii” & “soufflé” brand clays are also good, these brands also have interesting sparkly clay. I have seen other artists use super sculpey they seemed to use it for bigger sculptures. I hope this helps🙂

"Oh look a white rabbit!"

Pine Cone

Hi JB,

I haven’t done any polymer clay for several years. And the only carving I did was on Premo. It worked out fine but I wasn’t actually sculpting a figure like you are.

You mentioned Blue Bottle Tree. I remember I saved an article of hers on Sculpey Soufflé. It’s a great article. It’s called “Working with Sculpey Soufflé – A Review.”

I can’t quote the whole article here, but it has tons of info that might be relevant to you. But here is one quote:

“Sculpey Soufflé is a novelty clay, not a workhorse. It is fun, it has a lot of wonderful qualities. And for some techniques, I think we’ll find that it will turn out to be the best clay on the market. It is certainly the first clay that I recommend for people who are makng figurines…”

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

BugFolk

I recently discovered a clay called Bee’s Putty: https://beesputty.squarespace.com/

It’s beeswax based like Pardo but without the annoying crumbliness that I’ve had with Pardo. It also isn’t as squishy as Premo, so it holds details better.

The downside is that it is slightly pricey and quite a haul (long shipping time) to order from Germany and have it mailed to the US.

CinderellaG

I like to use Pro Sculpt polymer clay. It is much stronger than Sculpey. I order mine from Makingfairies.com but I know other places also carry it.. It cost more than Sculpey but it sculpts smoother and stronger

Cindy G.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.