Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art Mini portraits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    hibiscus17

Old friend who passed away many moons ago of cancer. 4″ x 4″ canvas panel. Acrylics. Went with five colours – scarlet, brown, black, pthalo blue and warm white. Doing this for his adult daughter. Christmas gift. Skin tone is scarlet basecoat with additional black or brown and warm white for darkening and highlighting.

Lawrence

Nice work!

www.davidsmithart.com

hibiscus17

Nice work!

Thanks. Enjoyed your site. :thumbsup:

Lawrence

hibiscus17

Another mini done today. Took an hour. Some work needs doing on the forehead and arms and outfit but otherwise the bulk is done. Another Christmas gift, this time for my son of his youngest child. Dimensions are the same: 4″ x 4″. Acrylic on canvas panel. Regards.

Lawrence

Beautiful work!

Christel

Those are so so good. They show such character.

Your friend looks like a fun guy, his daughter will love that, what an incredible gift to give!

Your granddaughter is a such a cutie! :heart:

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

hibiscus17

Thank you Cristel and Virginia. People really do have such interesting faces.

Another done just now. Gaming buddy who is one zany character and very funny guy. Whenever we get together for a game, we always end up laughing over a glass (or two) of port or wine or beer, and sometimes forget the game. This is a surprise gift for him.

Lawrence

hibiscus17

Another piece done today. Friend’s birthday gift in a few weeks.

I have really struggled with this one — seriously. Bit of a challenge but I persisted. Same canvas panel size. Combination pencil sketch and acrylics. Went for minimal colour application (I think but results probably say otherwise).

Used scarlet, burnt sienna, black and warm white. Basecoat of her face, the shading part, was burnt sienna — 50/50 paint and water. Then the lighter tone was more water than acrylic. All highlighting was done with either warm white and scarlet mixes. The few deep dark shades were touched with black. Eyes, I mixed black and burnt sienna to give a hazel tone which softens the eyes (something I picked from my previous piece). The image doesn’t show it at all but I finished the lighter parts of her hair with pink so that it makes her brown hair glow.

Learning the colour palette, i.e., what one can do (and not), can sometimes be fun. I really need to paint more women’s faces. Regards.

Lawrence

hibiscus17

One more to go, a self portrait. It will be one I plan to submit to a local art competition. Regards. :thumbsup:

Lawrence

floblue

I love your mini portraits. I have given some mini paintings to people for their birthdays and they love them but I haven’t given portraits. I’m sure the people who receive them will love them. I certainly do and I don’t even know them.

floblue

Lawrence have you thought about getting into the portrait exchange. They are looking for people.

hibiscus17

I love your mini portraits. I have given some mini paintings to people for their birthdays and they love them but I haven’t given portraits. I’m sure the people who receive them will love them. I certainly do and I don’t even know them.

So much in agreement with you on this. The look of surprise and joy is like ambrosia, and also makes me feel good about life in general.

Lawrence have you thought about getting into the portrait exchange. They are looking for people.

Therein lies a dilemma which your suggestion posed to me today whilst driving. It’s a good problem to have however. My observations, thus far:

[*] The smaller these are, the easier to portrait because you must capture the essential part of the face within such a tiny space.
                                          [*]The larger you go, in size, the greater the demand upon you, the copyist/artist, to approach it slightly different, i.e., be more precise and technically proficient with the detailing.

At least that’s how I see it. The latter point can be a tough ask because you’re asked to modify your approach slightly, as I found in doing the most recent mini portrait shown which has proven to be the hardest to do thus far. I have since done another.

Yet even that doesn’t satisfy me. Wife says it’s not a photo! But every time I look at it, I find myself wanting to start all over again because of my amended mindset. The numerous little changes can be draining emotionally. Wife says step away: go do the neglected chores, enjoy a glass of wine (did I mention the local Australian reds are first-rate?!), read a book, or sit outside with the hens and enjoying watching them eat.

But going back to your original complimentary suggestion, thanks, I will check out their space soon. :thumbsup:

Lawrence

hibiscus17

Selfie, as promised. Coloured pencil on black pearlised card; shadow and lighting feature prominently in this piece to give it dramatic effect. I call this Self Doubt. Image is cropped and is 10 x 7 cm. Regards.

Lawrence

floblue

Lawrence, your wife is right a portrait isn’t a photo. I’m sure you captured a good likeness, personality and the essence of each one of your subjects. I like your self portrait

hibiscus17

Another portrait of another former colleague who passed away last year suddenly of medical complications. Unexpected. He loved being called “Tex” because he had a fascination for anything Americana. Loved riding his Indian motorcycle. Hoping to deliver this to a mutual friend who will, hopefully, relay it on to his partner as an unexpected Christmas gift.

Like the others, this is acrylic on canvas panel, 4″ x 4″. Regards.

Lawrence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.