Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Partner: Chroma, Inc. Mediums for plein air

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ic.Art

Hi

Have bought Interactives for plein air after my oil attempt ended up glued onto the back seat of my car.

Have read up on them and have been watching Youtubes and I’m understanding the water sprayer but am still confused as to which medium(s) I might need for outdoor use.

I live in Sydney, Australia so it is a temperate climate and I don’t paint impasto.

Have bought Unlocking Formula. I have 3 bottles of Atelier Painting Medium but it doesn’t say Interactive on it and the art shop just keeps offering me the same thing when I ask. Is the Painting Medium in the videos the same as your traditional version?

Am uncertain if Slow Medium or Thick Slow Medium best suits?

I really like the idea of these paints but the whole mediums thing is very confusing as the Chroma videos obviously want a person to buy products and that can get in the way of a good understanding of the best use of each one.

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

jennifervs

Mediums are designed to alter or enhance the properties of paint. So for you, for plein air work, the 3 mediums I’d suggest to try are:

Unlocking Formula (to spray on your painting to keep blending or palette to reopen dried paint)
            Thick Slow Medium (as this medium will give you the most time to work wet-in-wet without having to spray)
            Clear Painting Medium (this is sort of an in-between medium. It dries fast enough so that you can layer and glaze, but it can still be reopened. It will thin your paint to a more silky consistency and help it flow better)

What mediums will ultimately work for you will depend on your style, your climate (how humid and hot) and your surface, but I’d start by trying these three.

PS Send a picture of what your medium looks like!

Trumper

Be warned ,i bought the unlocking fluid and even though it has been kept in it’s container it seemed to evaporate :(

jennifervs

Be warned ,i bought the unlocking fluid and even though it has been kept in it’s container it seemed to evaporate :(

Please contact [email][email protected][/email] with details. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.