Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Landscape Thumbnails

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SusF

These are a series of color mixing exercises. The first batch were done on Strathmore 300 paper. Second batch on Arches pad paper.

This first group was done mainly with Ultramarine blue with a different paint in each trio. Each one was done with only 3 primaries. No reference.

This second batch the blue I used was Cerulean. The blue is not very strong, so making darks took a lot of mixing. Different yellow or red in each batch. I’ll have to find my notes to list them. This time I DID use a photo reference, and the result is so much better. I got tired of painting trees by the last one, and liked the paint bloom trees so much, I left out the big tree. Heh.

Each batch of these exercises were done over the course of 1 day. 4 sketches a day, one weekend apart. It sort of amazed me how fast you can improve if you just sit down and paint…

Susan
        Norman, Oklahoma

yahya sryio

Nice sketches.

Painting is jealous, and requires the whole man to herself. Michael Angelo

A good exercise.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

vandogh

One can learn a lot from quick studies or sketches like these. You soon learn the properties of different colors, which ones go well together, which ones are opaque, or transparent and how they mix with other colors. You have also come to a very good basic understanding in your statement:
                “It sort of amazed me how fast you can improve if you just sit down and paint…”

ErnstG

Very nice works!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

wedfabcor

Nice – this gives me some ideas. Great studies in color and value changes

Bill Davis

portalhome

I love working with variations of a theme. I seem to learn more that way. It looks like you are, too. Which do you like best?

SusF

>Which do you like best?

In the first batch, I like the top left one best. It doesn’t show well in the photograph, but that ground color glows. Our winters in Oklahoma (snow is rare) are basically these colors. It is ultramarine blue, raw sienna and burnt sienna.

Second batch the wet on wet trees in the bottom right is a favorite because of the success with wet on wet. Colors were cerulean, trans oxide red, and new gamboge, I think. I think I cheated and snuck in a bit of quin rose for the shadow color though.

Susan
                                Norman, Oklahoma

portalhome

Our New Mexico winters are the same color! Don’t you love how the white paper makes the colors glow like that? That’s why I always come back to watercolors. I like the wet into wet one, too. I hate working wet into wet, but when I do i like the effects I get.

Ryeath

Nice sketches Susan.

Overall I like the upper batch (non referenced) better than the lower. I agree with you on the upper left, but I prefer the tree in the lower left, it has more depth to it, the trunk and branches are mixed in with the foliage, whereas the upper one the trunk appears in front on the leaves.

All very good.

C&C always welcomed.

SusF

Nice sketches Susan.

Overall I like the upper batch (non referenced) better than the lower. I agree with you on the upper left, but I prefer the tree in the lower left, it has more depth to it, the trunk and branches are mixed in with the foliage, whereas the upper one the trunk appears in front on the leaves.

All very good.

Thank you!

In the reference photo the big tree was back-lit, so you could see every branch. It was a very speckled look, with the branches showing and the leaves also being silhouetted. But I deviated and just tried different methods of painting trees.

Susan
                                            Norman, Oklahoma

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.