Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia A new Neocolor II butterfly – X-post Animal and Wildlife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SnapV

Well, it seems I’m very inspired by butterflies these days. :) Here is a new one I did in Neocolor II over Windsor & Newton gouache on Strathmore Toned Grey Mixed Media 5 x 7 paper. I immensely enjoyed this process and might do my next ones that way too, working Neocolor II wet and dry on a first dried coat of gouache. The reference for the butterfly is from Pixabay.

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

CaliAnn

Absolutely gorgeous Virginie! I’m a colorholic, so I especially appreciate this – I love the bold, bright, confident colors – so beautiful! :)

SnapV

Thank you CaliAnn! :) I definitely consider myself a colorholic too!

Virginie

CaliAnn

I’m going to have to give neocolor a try – I love those bold, inyourface colors you got going! Do you mind me asking – are they colored pencils or watercolor?

SnapV

Actually CaliAnn they are neither! Neocolor II are water-soluble wax crayons. I would say that they feel like a mix of Crayola crayons and oil pastel to use. They are also more opaque than either watercolours or coloured pencils, a bit like gouache. Also, there are Neocolor I that are the water resistant equivalent to Neocolor II that I also use when I want a part of the drawing to stay put when I add water.

At first, I usually work with them just like I would with Crayola crayons but, after, I go over them with a brush and water. After that, I make more and more passes, mixing colours into one another, some I wet again and the few last ones I usually do dry, by applying more and more pressure, until I get the wax shine and saturated colour that I love :) In my opinion, it’s just the best feeling to work with these crayons!

Here is a picture of a few of the set that I leave at work to draw during my lunch hours.

And here is a small and fast demo of my process that I just did with 3 crayons (because it’s Friday afternoon and I just can’t concentrate at work anymore :P )

Virginie

CaliAnn

Thanks Virginie for explaining – and thanks for that quick demo, it is really helpful seeing how you get to those vibrant colors! Have a great weekend! :)

A spectacular butterfly! The gouache plus Neos worked really well. They work great on top of any media I think.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

ColdPress

Very pretty butterfly, Virginie. Thanks for the demo.

Happy painting! ... CP

SnapV

Thank you Kay and CP! And no problem CaliAnn, I really love my Neocolor and am happy to spread knowledge about them :)

Virginie

Your Neocolor II Butterfly is gorgeous!
                                    Neocolors work so well don’t they, and thanks for sharing with us those sample swatches. :thumbsup:

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

SnapV

Thank you Viv and no problem for the swatches :)

Virginie

Sonia

Brilliant! Thanks for the little demo too, very helpful. I have some of these, but must admit I don’t use them often. A friend uses them over ink drawings, using a wet brush on the crayon and then painting subtle colours over her pen work – very effective.

ShellyK01

Hello, I love neocolors II as well. I’m just struggling to find a paper that works well with them and doesn’t crinkle when the water goes on. What do you suggest? Thanks

ShellyK01

Sorry, I didn’t mean to hijeck your thread. I can start a new one, Shelly

SnapV

Thank you Sonia and no worries Shelly!

My favourite papers for Neocolor are the Strathmore 400 Toned Mixed Media or good thick hot press watercolour paper (I usually buy Fabriano Artistico) :)

For it to buckle less I also suggest taping your sheet of paper to a masonite board to draw and paint until it dries.

Virginie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.