WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada
Re: Elements and Principles - LINE

Huh. I really did keep exploring shape for some time...

Not always successfully...

Why does the garlic look like shrimp? They are not the same. This was actually a crayon, possibly water soluble. A broad, chunky red crayon seemed a good way to ignore distractions and just try to block in shape.

But it did take 19 tries before I felt like I actually captured the shape of that individual clove. Something to remember for the future

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarn
It helps that I love her style, but I really think that her background as an architect means she approaches sketching in a way that is clearly explainable. There is nothing she does that is without a clearly stated reason, and she doesn't forget to explain things that she does intuitively.

She's also excellent at breaking down complex subjects into easily manageable pieces, so that sometimes it's not even obvious how much you absorbed until later.

If your aim is to improve your sketching and understand better how to translate images onto your page in your own unique way, her classes are the best I have come across, and the only ones I have decided are worth paying for.

Thanks for the recommendation. They're a bit more expensive than other classes I've seen and so I was wondering if it'd be worth it for me. I'm not a total beginner but not very good either so I think it's a good match for me.

Her sketches are what got me interested in "urban sketching" in the first place. I used to paint Acrylic. I live outside of Paris and want to sketch famous sites in Paris. I took my acrylic kit into Paris a few times but it's not easy to haul it all around. The ink & watercolor wash approach seems to be perfect for what I want to do.

My biggest issue is looking at something incredibly complex, a famous monument, and freezing up. I try to put too much detail and my skills are not up to it so it ends up not good at all and I get lost in the process. I've seen some artists convey with just a few lines a famous landmark that is recognizeable or be able to suggest a brick wall without drawing every brick. So I realize simplification is really important.

I like your garlic sketches, at first I didn't know it was garlic until I read the note (on one of the first pages) and at the end it really looked like garlic. And I didn't know you could plant that in the garden. I love garlic. Anyway, you did great work keeping at it until you got what you liked. I need to do the same with some household objects.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Yay! These are so good! Thank you for sharing! And thank you for the endorsement for Liz Steel classes. It seems there are not enough hours in a day/week/month/year for the things I want to work on and learn and practice ...
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

I know right? So many fun things to cram into every moment!

Including finishing posting this darn old project so I can get in gear for new projects!

Some of this was literally just filling pages...this is ink and wash, probably some of the very first real explorations into water soluble ink in my fountain pens...looks like I hadn't discovered my favourite ink mix yet...

Clearly not accomplishing much to the left, but the right hand page is the start of something interesting.

That was an orange, but using coloured pencil as the first layer and a white china pencil for a resist. Hmm...Should play with that again.

This was definitely copied from an exercise somewhere...maybe a botanical sketching book? Exploring how reflections create shape.

This takes a hard left in a second, trying to figure out the essence of the shape through abstraction. It looks like this tree is from imagination, but it's not. It's a really cool, very lopsided tree growing out of a hill at a very strange angle. I just didn't do it justice :P

This is when I started trying out Citizen Sketcher's Tea, Milk, Honey technique with watercolour washes. Not great paper to try this out, but, with coloured pencil, it taught me a lot, and looks better than I remembered.

Ah, here's the abstraction. This, weirdly, captures the precarious shape of the tree far better than the original sketch. It's just such an oddly weighted tree!

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Still working with Tea, Milk, Honey...why did I stop using that?

This was super boring to do though, it's from a picture.

Now THIS was fun. Ink and wash is the best, and using shade to create form. (Take that, LINE sketchbook!). This must have been when my Noodler's Ahab was brand new...it's still my standard sketching pen, can't manage without it.

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Every once in a while, I remember that soft pencil is really fun, and surprise myself by taking my time. Hmm. I should do that again.

More playing with materials in an attempt fo fill pages...

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Okay, this is painful. It's like I regressed to the very beginning of watercolour and..stayed there. I clearly have no idea what I'm doing with flowers. Or leaves or the colour green. And the paper fought me every step of the way.

So painful. But I'm showing you anyway.

Playing with different techniques and resists, but no. Just no.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Whew. Glad that regression is over.

I actually really love this clover. I remember doing it at work from something I pulled up online, and being so surprised that the glaze/resists did what I wanted it to do.

No idea what's happening to the right hand side.

And same here. Strange failure to the left, and something I really loved on the right. That little weed/flower was drawn from life at a bus stop, and was first time I managed some sort of washy background. Was also sketched extremely fast under pressure from the bus arriving directly on top of it!

There's no way these pages are in order...I must have completed this book later in the spring. There would have been snow on the ground in February.

But oranges are a winter thing!

And the final page... and we are DONE with this terrible paper for a bit!

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

March! Texture!

There are specific detailed memories of this sketchbook in my brain...and I think it's because I carried at around for months trying to finish it while I also was working int he other books. In an attempt to start capturing texture, there was a lot fo watercolour work instead, trying to figure out complements on the colour wheel...

Aha! That's what this was, this is my new Noodler's Conrad pen, also flexible nib, with new ink! (Black swan in Australian Roses). It's still part of the sketching duo that I carry daily (and don't use, sadly), along with the Ahab, but is now my non water soluble ink pen. Which means I've been carrying the same art materials around for six years and barely using them. Good grief.

And this is when I started sketching from the bus, trying to capture things that flashed by in seconds. Good practice, that.

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Well, it's Textur-y.

Heh, there's a note on one of these that's from May....yep, very behind on this...

I believe this was inside a movie theatre before the lights went down...

Yep! Iron Man 3!

And here's where the watercolour begins. Let me translate the notes.

"Wet on Wet. Works well, but not on this paper" and "Wet on Dry. Works well, takes too long."

The paper in this book was I think...Step Forward Eco Printer Paper made from sugarcane? It did better than expected. Would be excellent for dry media. Doubt it will age well.

Also..I'm hopeless with flowers. Which doesn't bode well for the fact that I want to learn to paint the garden.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Also, Cunparis, before I forget...are you joining us for Edges? The runthrough just started.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarn
Also, Cunparis, before I forget...are you joining us for Edges? The runthrough just started.

I didn't know about the runthrough. I just googled it and found her blog entry. I'm very tempted. I was considering doing her foundations class. But I wasn't sure if that would be too basic for me. However I felt if I skipped foundations I might be missing something useful for her other classes. I've already done drawing on the right side of the brain and I've done plein air painting in acrylic, so maybe I could start with edges?

I was also debating just working out of some of the urban sketchers books and not doing Liz's classes, or at least see what I can do with the books.

How is the runthrough going so far?
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I love line. It's a very important part of my work and years ago I had to work out how to integrate my love of line with my love of lost edges and subtle colour changes.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I haven't done any of Liz's online classes but I did take a workshop with her at the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Chicago a few years ago...and also one with Marc Taro Holmes. Both of them are great!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 AM
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

So nice to see a healthy attitude to learning and observation. I seem to find the tentative fumbling to be one of the most rewarding aspects of art. Looking good!

Sketch-Blog