Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Night flight

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    terriks

Okay, so apparently I’m not yet out of my whimsical mindset. :lol: No idea what popped into my little head, but it was freeing and fun to do.

This is Mungyos and Cray-Pas Expressionists, with a few Senns on the top layer. Strathmore 11×15″ cold press watercolor paper. No more hot press WC paper for me, I need some texture.

All comments welcomed and appreciated! Thanks for looking.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

laika

The flyer *and* the sunflower mmight be making the right side a little overweight, but i really like this! Your beautiful sunflower is incandescent against the blues of the night sky. Not in the style of Chagall, but the flying/floating figure puts me in mind of him, and what look like cypress trees near one house plus the sunflower make me think of Van Gogh, who I think you’ve mentioned lately.

By all means, continue to indulge your whimsy, I say!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
            - Otto Rank

terriks

Thanks for the comments, Lamar! You’re exactly right about the painting being off balance. I wish I had thought the composition through before placement of the 2 largest elements, but I didn’t. Just popped that flower in at the last, enjoyed painting it, then saw the mistake. :angel:

And yes, you noticed my fave influences, too. :thumbsup:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Nice Terri!. I like that you’re swooping down like a meteor. Interesting since you just did the perseid meteor painting a little bit ago. Sunflower is awesome! I do agree that it does kind of take over the painting some. Heavy on that corner a little. That red house with the two pointed swaying trees reminds me of van gogh.

Interesting and whimsical. Wrt the flower, it might help to plan your palette into warm or cool tones.

Christel

terriks

Rich, Christel – thank you both for your comments. It always helps me to get your thoughts. :)

Terri

talinka

Sweet painting. Reminds me a bit of Chagall.
                            You can do a very small scale (several cm) sketch before you start painting, just to check out whether your composition works.

Tali

terriks

Thank you, Tali! I usually do try to work out compositions, keep my sketch book handy. That last circus painting I did, for example, had a million busy details and would have been beyond my reach without my sketch.

Here, I just winged it – and goofed. :lol: At least I know what I did wrong, and still enjoyed it.

Thanks again for your comments!

Terri

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.