Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges September 2018 Oil Pastel Challenge and Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    terriks

[FONT=Verdana]Hello, fellow oil pastelists! :clap: Welcome to the September Oil Pastel Challenge and Chat thread!
        [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]
        In addition to your completed work, feel free to post WIPs or ask for feedback as you go. Work must be completed in oil pastel, but you’re welcome and encouraged to post preliminary sketches, which includes any work-in-progress photos as you wish.
        [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]
        When posting your art work, please tell us your support type, the size, and brands of oil pastels used. Any special touches you use, such as mediums or pencil work, are also of interest. Let’s share techniques and learn from each other![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Here are some photos![/FONT]
        [FONT=Verdana]
        [/FONT]
        [FONT=Verdana]
        [/FONT]
        [FONT=Verdana]
        [/FONT]Bex in a box:

Kayakers:

Lake Huron:

Spirit of St. Louis:

Baby barn swallows:

Pretty in pink:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

terriks

A few more photos:

Odin, God of Wisdom (because of course!):

Michigan lighthouse:

Point aux Barques lighthouse:

Vacationers:

Waterfall:

[FONT=Verdana]All these images are my own, so feel free to use them as you wish. I included some black & white, because that’s what I shoot a lot of (film) and also it’s fun to come up with whatever color palette you wish, with nothing to influence your choices beyond the subject matter.
            [/FONT]
            [FONT=Verdana]
            [/FONT]
            [FONT=Verdana]So, l[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=Verdana]et’s get busy getting our hands dirty, shall we? :thumbsup:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
            [/FONT]

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Thanks for hosting, Terri! Thanks also for a lovely selection of photos to choose from!

Christel

terriks

You are very welcome, Christel! I’m excited to see what everyone comes up with. :)

Terri

Rich A

Terri, I love the photos..especially that waterfall one. It has good lighting, mist, crips colors…all fun elements to paint! I like that you got a B/W in there too

rbhatt

Great reference photos, Terri! Thank you for hosting the September month challenge. I have already started painting the Michigan lighthouse.

Size: 7.5×11 inches (80 lbs strathmore drawing paper)
                        Oil pastels: CrayPas Expressionist and Mungyo

Here is where I am so far.

Comments are welcome.
                        Raj

R-B
                        Williamsburg, VA
                        My Instagram Page

terriks

Thanks, Rich and Raj!

Raj, looks great so far. The drawing of the house is spot on, and I think you’ve already done a good job with the background trees.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Terri

Jennie

Great selection. The swallows and pretty in pink are looking good at the moment. But … I am doing a boat scene at the moment so that is also calling.

Jennie
                                "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                                @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

terriks

Thanks, Jennie! Hopefully you’ll be able to tackle one soon – would love to see what you come up with. :)

Terri

Jennie

Hey Terri, I have started. Layer one one, using mostly student quality OPs. Couldn’t create the wall, just couldn’t create the colour, so that area distracts hugely.

Am waiting for some new professional quality for layer two.

ATM it looks like a cooking pot. Hoping to change that as well.

Jennie
                                        "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe

rbhatt

Another WIP picture of the lighthouse painting from today’s work. I used white oil painting for the highlight on the edge of the building. I also used a brown pencil for creating bricks effect.

Raj

R-B
                                            Williamsburg, VA
                                            My Instagram Page

Jennie

Not again. Even used my computer. I couldn’t get this one to post as a new thread, but did see my nest in this thread. This should be a nest

Jennie

Lamar – great so far!
                                                Jennie – love your swallows! I’ll comment on the faces in your separate thread.
                                                Here is my waterfall using MiTeintes(lemon yellow) and a mix of Treeline and Pentel, A4. I’m getting used to the Treeline now:lol:

Christel

terriks

Raj, this is coming along nicely! Your palette is really perfect so far, and the house is looking great.

Jennie, I see the swallows! I think it looks better than a cooking pot. :lol: The feathers already are starting to look good.

Lovely job on the waterfall, Christel! I think you’ve tamed those Treeline op’s, this is beautiful!

Terri

Thanks Terri!

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.