WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
A Cold Day at the Seaside

Five foolhardy souls, including yours truly, decided to brave the cold North-Easterly airflow yesterday and paint on the exposed cliff-tops of Baginbun Head in South Wexford. Despite the cold, it was a beautiful clear, sunny day, although it did cloud over a bit later in the afternoon. I was really drawn to this spectacular "contre jour" view for my first one.

Cliff Shadows, Carnivan Beach
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)

I wanted to see what I could do in a half hour or so for my second one (planning to do some early morning / late evening sketches this summer) - hence the small panel. The Atlantic is usually a dull green colour around the Irish coast, even on the brightest days, but a combination of unusually calm weather and an offshore North Easterly wind made it look more like the Mediterranean in mid-summer.

Turquoise Blue, Carnivan Beach
(8" x 8" Oil on Board)

I went for "the obvious" in the afternoon, with this panoramic view of Carnivan Beach. The sun was coming and going by then, so it was a bit of a painting struggle. Hopefully, I still managed to capture something of the beauty of this magical place.

Sunny Spring Afternoon, Carnivan Beach
(12" x 16" Oil on Board)

I've got some (not very good contre jour) photos of the scenes on my blog, if anyone wants a look.

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
London

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: A Cold Day at the Seaside

All good Michael, I would sort of like to see the coldness of the day come over more, but I know you love this warm palette.
Rob
Blog: http://www.treeshark.com/treeblog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Love all three but particularly like the way you handled the water in the Carnivan Beach painting...

Saint Ragdoll
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshark
All good Michael, I would sort of like to see the coldness of the day come over more, but I know you love this warm palette.
Rob

Thanks Rob. Maybe I have a "warm" tendency, but the light did really look more like mid-summer in the Med than the Irish seaside in April. I think the only one where I deliberately pushed it was the third one, mainly because it had become mostly cloudy after a half hour or so, and I wanted to retain the sunny feel - so I was winging it!

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Ragdoll
Love all three but particularly like the way you handled the water in the Carnivan Beach painting...

Saint Ragdoll

Thanks you.

Michael

C&C welcome