Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Your favorite paper and why you like it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Flame Lily

Art Spectrum Colourfix Coated Pastel Paper
        Bristol Board
        Canson Mi-Teintes Drawing Papers
        Colored Paper (What kind and why?)
        Illustration Board (Cold press/Hot press?)
        Mat Board
        Museum Board
        Stonehenge Paper
        Strathmore Artagain Paper
        Strathmore 400 Series Drawing Paper
        Wallis Sanded Pastel Paper
        Watercolor paper (Cold press/Hot press?) (Arches/Fabriano Artistico/Other?)

Any other’s?

Have you used any of these and didn’t like them? Which do you like the most and use often? I’m about to make yet another paper order and am always game for trying something different, I’ve searched and searched to find a thread somewhere where several papers were discussed in the same place, maybe I’m just not looking in the right place. So help me out if you can please? :D

———–

Could have done this with using a poll, but I don’t think there is any one “best” paper out there – I think it’s good to try as many as possible.

At the moment I have a fascination with Fabriano Artistico Cold Press Watercolor paper because I’m trying Watercolor pencils. I’ve seen folks here talk about papers listed above and yet I don’t know about so many of them. What exactly is Wallis paper and how is it different from Art Spectrum Colorfix paper?

I really like Stonehenge very much, it’s beautifully smooth and great for portraits. It is a little bit on the soft side and (correct me if I’m wrong) probably wouldn’t take a beating (lots of hard erasing) as well as something like Canson Mi-Teintes, which I’ve tried and really like. I am going to order some gray, cream and more black and more white Stonehenge to try in the future [lots of idea’s floating around :)]
        I’ve been experimenting with ink and wc pencils and found that Stonehenge buckled slightly with the added liquid, so a heavier weight watercolor paper was my next choice, I’ve tried hot press wc paper, but prefer the cold press because of the effect/look and because the smoother watercolor paper seems to get little teeny bubbles on it (from either ink or water).

Anyone know the difference between rough press and cold press? I’m guessing the rough is just a bit more textured than the cold?

[Added Museum Board]

Anita Orsini

My favorite is not on your list. Museum board (not to be confused with museum mat) is soft, resiliant, will take layers forever, and archival.
            Anita

Flame Lily

Thank you, that is very interesting, I’ll edit my post while I still can to include this. Oh boy, I can see my wish list growing very long :)

Robin

After trying a bunch, I prefer the smooth side of Mi-Tientes. I like using colors, but the best thing about it is that I can erase all the way through to the paper, no matter how many layers many times, and it doesn’t damage. I’ve been almost done and something was not right and I realized I’d let an eye migrate off course, and had erase it all the way down and start again.

I use a white plastic eraser. With a lot of layers, the “crumbs” kind of mold together with the cp and stick to the paper. So I just use progressively lighter eraser pressure, along with a brush, to get rid of all the stuck crumbs.

I also like that I can get to the burnishing faster on MT than on any other paper, which I like. I hate even one little speck to show through…in places. In complex backgrounds, I do like the color showing through. But you do have to plan layers more, you get to the end of the tooth pretty quick, so someone who wants to do more than 5 or so….not the paper for you!

I also like Wallis for a close-up where I’m not really laying much, but want each fur stroke to stand alone. It can be watercolored first, which I also like, without changing the surface texture of the paper, which I found watercolor papers did.

Stonehenge REQUIRES too many layers for my taste, and doesn’t stand up to erasing as well as Mi Tientes. I have also done very dry watercolor washes on Stonehenge, and it did buckle a bit, so I just turned it over, misted the back with plain water, and weighed it down with a board and it reflattened overnight. But the texture changed and made the cp unpredictable.

I’ve given up experimenting because I like the predictability of MT, the color selection and the availability. But as much as I love it, others hate it! I’m using only MT and Wallis for the headshots with no background.

Robin

BKWYRM

Anita, I never knew that about museum board–good to know!

Well, I’m boring and conservative. For 100% cp, my favorite paper is Arches Hot Press 140#. It’s my absolute favorite paper in the world.

For mixed media, such as watercolor with cp on top, my favorite is Fabriano Artistico Traditional Watercolor Paper. 140# (300 gsm) hot press, which is available in a block. No need for stretching, and the block keeps it from buckling.

For mixed media, I also enjoy Arches 260# Rough Press Natural White Watercolor Paper. The rough texture chews up the colored pencils, but its heavy weight prevents buckling. It takes many layers of solvent or water, and the texture holds tons of colored pencil. It’s an interesting support to work with, and the thick layers of colored pencil give creamy, rich results.

I have used the Canson Mi-Teintes papers with mixed results. I love the colored ground, but hate the “chicken-wire” texture. It seems that I may have purchased a batch which has more texture than normal, so I may give it another try in the future.

Kathy

NancyPH

I’ve been using Bienfang 140 lb CP watercolor paper and I like it very much. I used the rough side of Mi-tientes and did not like that at all! I have yet to use the smooth side though. I also just bought some Bristol vellum that I’m liking so far. I haven’t tried to add lots of layers on it yet though, so we’ll see if it stands up to the test.

I have also used suede board, which I love! and I will be buying velour paper soon. It’s kind of the more affordable version of suede board, except it’s actually paper …. and real hard to find.

I have used some mats with mixed results. I hate it if I run out of tooth before I’m finished and that has tended to happen to me with mat.

BTW, from what I’ve read, the difference between rough paper and CP paper is that the rough paper is even more texture that cp and for us cp’ers, it does a job on the pencils!

[FONT="Georgia"]Nancy

Reflections From Life Fine Art[/url][/font][/size]

catchlight

I’m another Arches Hotpress fan. I love using that for portraits and most things really. I also love Figueras oil and acrylic paper (by Canson I think) which is much more textured, it has a light canvassy feel to it. I love that for things that don’t require too many layers but I want really deep rich colour on, the tooth in it grabs the colour beautifully but it won’t hold loads of layers. I use Arches for most things and the Figueras for my automotive things since paintwork and chrome only require a limited amount of layers in them.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Wen Baragrey[/B]
                                MY WEBSITE

Katherine T

The paper I like best depends on how I want to work.

If I’m working in quite a precise way, then Fabriano Hot Press watercolour paper is a favourite – and I really like the 300lb paper which is completely stiff and very robust.

The smooth side of Canson Mi Teintes is great for working in the field. I particularly like the warm apricot / terracotta / warm earth shades for when I’m working in the Mediterranean – they just give you a head start in terms of picking the right colours.

For working in a looser, sketchier way – I like Art Spectrum Colourfix. This grasps the pencil but doesn’t eat it. The individual marks show up well, especially when working with the darker colours. I’m tending to favour the bluer shades but that might just be the current subject matter.

Wallis paper is great for being able to work “as if” in pastels. I reckon most pastellists wouldn’t be able to tell that a work is actually in CP. Absolutely marvellous for when you want all the individual hairs to stand out – as Alphonso demonstrated rather well.

Katherine

BLOG: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]Making a Mark[/URL]
                                    SKETCHBOOK BLOG: Travels with my Sketchbook in......
                                    PORTFOLIO: Pastels and Pencils[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/B]
                                    Rosa Weitzel

I like stonehenge, it just gets the job done. Sometimes I use something else but go right back.

Rosa

Lucio

I like the almost indestructible Fabriano 4 ( liscio) smooth 220grms (100 lbs).
                                            You can do a very detailed work( graphite ,pen, ink, Cp and airbrush) on this surface , it is ultra resistant to any kind of eraser or masking tape and you can scrap and rework it without problems.
                                            The reverse side has a very good texture ( similar to that you find in the Artistico).
                                            I remember that another member , Iron horse used to work with cp in Fabriano 4
                                            too.
                                            Lucio

https://www.facebook.com/people/Lucio-Rubira/100008182959347

"I dream, therefore I exist."
                                            August Strindberg

Glenspey

If I want to add pastel to the CP I use the art spectrum colourfix. If I want to work more layers then I use Arches Hot Press Watercolour paper and if I want a very soft, less detailed look I work on velour, usually in a blue/grey colour.

I would love to try Stonehenge, but it is not available in the UK.
                                                Gayle

BKWYRM

This is very useful information. I’m rating this thread so we’ll remember to put it into our library.

Kathy

brynmr

Strathmore medium 4 ply though I usually can’t find 4 ply and have to settle for 3 ply. I love the tooth and it’s tough. It has a hard feel to it and can take a lot of abuse. I wrote to Strathmore and suggested they produce a colored version of that paper. I would luuuuuuve that!

tommyhunt.com

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris

Flame Lily

Good information to keep. Thanks all :)

See, now there are even more I’ve not heard of before like the “Bienfang 140 lb CP watercolor paper” that Nancy mentioned.

Robin, have you tried cold/rough press watercolor paper? After experimenting with it a bit I can’t tell that the surface is changed at all by water (after being added ontop of WC pencils). I don’t know how different that would be from watercolor paints. Or do you just not like the texture and that’s why you like Wallis? Thanks so much for your comments, I’m definitely going to use MT more and more because I think that I am a “less layering” type person :D

Kathy, Wendy and Gayle, if any of you lived closer to me, I’d gladly give you the Arches Hot Press Watercolor paper I have, it’s 140lb. Maybe I should give it another try? My Prismacolors kept ‘hooking’ on the paper, what was I doing wrong? I tried coloring while the pencil was kind of flat and other times straight up and I just didn’t like it that much, my pencil would either hook or glide and I just stopped because I was afraid of not getting more than just a couple of layers on. Anyway, I’ve seen the amazing work that all of you have done, so the paper MUST be good! (It’s me with the problem… :D )
                                                            I’ve just been using the cold press and although I am sure that it would chew up regular colored pencils, the Watercolor pencils seem perfect for this, because you just don’t need much pigment before the water is added, I think my WC pencils are going to last much longer than regular cpencils.
                                                            Katherine, you did your “Perrot” on Canson Mi Teintes right? I remember thinking it looked so smooth and was surprised to see it was on MT!

Nancy, I forgot to add the Suede Board and Velour that I’ve seen you mention before, normally I write down new things that I’ve seen on the forum. I’m trying to picture what Suede Board would look and feel like texture wise… sure would love to find some. Thanks for the explanation of cold vs. rough, I might just be crazy one day and get some rough to try with the wc pencils to see if I like it.

Rosa, Stonehenge is great paper, I really feel for the folks overseas who can’t get it. Maybe one day it will be available there. I’m sure after all my experimenting is over, Stonehenge will still rank as one of my favorites.

Lucio! Everytime I see you talk about the “Fabriano 4 (liscio)” it makes me WANT some. It just sounds so awesome! I tried to do a search for it here but couldn’t find any. Maybe I need to look harder or maybe it’s called something else here. (Anyone know?)

Tommy, I hope that Stathmore listens and gets to working on making some colored paper for you! :D

Robin

Yes, I used watercolor paper recommended on this forum. Just felt like my pencils laid down darker than if I hadn’t wet it first. The basset hound on my website is done on coldpress, I tried hot press also. Just not for me. :)

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Your favorite paper and why you like it?’ is closed to new replies.