Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Color Theory 101

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • Author

There seems to be alot of confusion about color, so let’s start with the color wheel. Feel free to ask questions regarding color. I will answer to the best of my ability and/or ask other color experts to chime in.

I am strictly relating the color theory to Colored Pencils. Nothing else!

Ok I had mentioned starting with a color wheel a number of times. This should be done with 12 colors. Three primary colors, Three secondary colors, and three tertiary colors. (now not to be mean, but if you don’t even know these terms, I have to say you need to learn some color theory before starting colored pencils, because cp’s are all about color.)

I have labeled on my wheel which are primary’s, secondary’s and tertiary colors…all these colors are prismacolor, although the chart can be done with any pencils

First start by layering the color down all three rings so that it comes to a point in the middle.

For the second layer, take the color that is opposite on the color wheel, and layer it on top. That’s your complement (notice the spelling). So let’s take Orange and blue for example, which are complements.

on the blue side I layer orange on top, and on the orange side of the color wheel I layer blue on top.

What that shows is if i want to use a complement as an underpainting, I just have to look on the opposite side to see how it would work. Again taking a look at blue/orange.

If i want to put the complement of orange (blue) underneath to see how it would layer, I look on the blue side and see the orange on top of the blue. If i want to see how the complement of blue would work under the blue, i look across to the orange side.

Now for the third ring. That is the pure color from up top with white over it…giving it a tint.

Now let’s define some terms. Only I’m going to make you work to define them.

Tint
    Shade
    Value
    Hue
    Analogous Color

Once this is understood we can get into the colors I use for my underpainting. Another thing is to definitely take a look in the hall of fame at the color theory threads. Why? because they’ll help define things for you also.

My Web Site:
    [/URL]
    My Workshops

All my work is copyrighted and may not be downloaded, copied or reproduced without written permission from me.

If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance. - Marcus Aurelius

Ok the colors i used above in no particular order are:

canary yellow
    true blue
    true green
    chartreuse
    orange
    violet
    violet blue
    dahlia purple
    poppy red
    scarlet lake
    aquamarine
    yellowed orange

obviously because of the differences, the colors are not 100% accurate on the screen. I did the best i could.

My Web Site:
    [/URL]
    My Workshops

All my work is copyrighted and may not be downloaded, copied or reproduced without written permission from me.

If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance. - Marcus Aurelius
    wet

THANK YOU so much for going to the trouble to do this. I have a book with this but they had used a gatrillion colors and the samples where so small it just looked like a daunting task. I will make one Monday after the Holiday is over. Need to restudy the things I didn’t pay enought attention to in hs. :o wanda

"I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper." Steve Martin

GenineAnn

Arlene this is great!!! Printed this out, made the wheel. Now will take a look in the color theory forum for more. Thanks for all the detailed work you posted here.

Genine

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Glenspey

Thank you Arlene, for taking the time to do this, I have some spare time tomorrow so doing this colour wheel will be a must.

Gayle

paintkaz

Arlene-
                    Thank you for posting this – the list of colours used is particularly of interest to me. Hope I get the opportunity to play around with this over the w/e. I’ve done colourwheels before but not with pencils so I suppose I could be called a kind of “false beginner” as we used to say in Berlitz.
                    -Carrie

"Let me explain for those of you who don't understand irony, and believe me you don't know who you are..." (Scott Adams/Dilbert)

GenineAnn

Ok, did some diggin around.

Tell me if I’m close:

Tint = light values of color, like if white were added
                        Shade = are dark values of color, like if black were added
                        Value = describes the demension of lightness & darkness of color
                        Hue= describes one demension of color, it is color
                        Analogous color = has one color element in common, like violet, red, orange

Like to hear from some others on these def. as well.

Genine

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

DebSpinks

Arlene, I don’t do CP but I love lurking this forum because of all the wonderful work and especially the good, sound advice you and the other regulars here give on topics such as composition, hard/soft edges, handling backgrounds, etc. that pertain not only to CP, but to all media. I especially like this fundamental color wheel and your succinct, clear explanation of how it is constructed.

Although you mention that this particular discussion relates only to CP, you’ve made me curious about how the layering technique you used can be translated to other media. In the past, I’ve done watercolor and oil/acrylic wheels using complements mixed and laid on in one go. Using your “underlayer/overlayer” technique, I’m going to try the wheel in a transparent watercolor glaze version and in both acrylic and oil versions (using opaque for the underlayer and glaze for the overlayer). Should be an interesting result!

Thank you for this valuable information. I rate this thread 5 stars.

Debra

Debra
                            Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
                            Debra Spinks Art on Facebook & Instagram

Troy Rochford

Arlene you are simply the greatest person who has ever lived :clap: ;)

Well, close anyway…

Thanks!

have a nice day!

pencils4me

Great Idea!

Thanks arelene for the time and effort it took for you to put this together. Ya know you might as well just make it a sicky or make it a candiate for the HOF!

TJ

Tj is .... Dancing with the Colors of the Wind....
                                    "Capturing the spirit of a portrait, the sparkle of a moment in time, or the soft sounds of your memories."
                                    Nikon D80, Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm, Nikkor VR AF-S 70-300mm, Nikkor 50mm prime lens, CS5

siberart

Arlene, thank you. I plan on putting it to good use!

Pat

Pat's Website
                                        "Artists help us to see what is secretly there." John O'Donohue, page 248 of his book - "Eternal Echoes"

Zoo

Thank you, THank you, Thank you Arlene…you have made this SOOO much easier for me to understand.

Let’s see if i remember this right (I have been reading up on color theory a little)

Tint= color + white
                                            Shade= color + black
                                            Value= how light or dark a color is
                                            Hue= color
                                            Analogous Color = any shade, tint or tone of colors that rest beside each other on the color wheel

Thanx again Arlene…this thread is already fantastic :)

~smile~
                                            Zoo

Ok, did some diggin around.

Tell me if I’m close:

Tint = light values of color, like if white were added
                                            Shade = are dark values of color, like if black were added
                                            Value = describes the demension of lightness & darkness of color
                                            Hue= describes one demension of color, it is color
                                            Analogous color = has one color element in common, like violet, red, orange

Like to hear from some others on these def. as well.

Good answers GenineAnn, except there is no if about it! ;)

Tint = Any color with white added

Shade = Any color with black added (or its complement)

Value = The darkness or lightness of a color. The darkest value is black, and the lightest is white.

Hue = Is pure color. Red, Yellow, Blue.
                                            Hue is also another name for color; according to Webster: the attribute of colors that permits them to be classed as red, yellow, green, blue, or an intermediate between any contiguous pair of these colors.

Analogous color = Any colors next to one another on the color wheel and that share a common color. When used together they look as though they belong together.

Zoo: Ya done good! :)

~ Judy

Edited to correct my miserable spelling…..hahaha

Judy - Moderator: Art History Forum and Reference Image Library

ok Judy and Zoo have it. Now I want to see your color wheels. Post them in here.

After that I’m going to make you do a value scale.

My Web Site:
                                            [/URL]
                                            My Workshops

i will have a new assignment to try tomorrow…and then another the next day…all related to this thread.

My Web Site:
                                            [/URL]
                                            My Workshops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Color Theory 101’ is closed to new replies.