Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting YouTube interview; A Tischler & V Elliot

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zebreaux

Hi, folks. Inactive longtime member here. Not sure where this should be posted but figured it would land or be moved to the appropriate spot. Just had to share it.

Andrew Tischler interviews Virgil Elliot on a YouTube post on Andrew’s YT channel posted Oct 17, 2018. Just a couple of days ago. It’s a long video but …

Very inspiring. Mr. Elliot chooses his words carefully …… Just blew me away. Don’t get your feelings hurt if you are abstract because these guys are not. Whatever you favor as your style or preferred medium of artistic expression, Mr. Elliot, at about the 9 or 10 minute mark, makes a statement that will make you smile. I have watched several times and am still smiling.

Roughly quoted, Mr. Elliot says,
        “The greatest artists have always understood what, of the elements within their power to control, elicit certain psychological responses in the minds of the viewers. Just as musicians or composers of music need to understand there are certain patterns, intervals, colors and sounds that the human brain responds to favorably.” These are not things that can be quantified verbally and to be able to do so would be to render the art or the music somewhat irrelevant. “We have to recognize there are limits to the spoken language. There are things that cannot be expressed with words. Words have their limitations. This is where art begins.”
        From this point he goes into harmonies of color and shape, theme and opposing themes and values and for a new painter, like me, it was a great eye opening conversation. Maybe the same for some of you not new painters as well.

So I’m thinking I’m going to like this guy and watch the rest of the interview and I was right! If anyone gets a chance, watch the interview.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Mr. Elliot is actually a member of WC and he used to post now and then, years ago, you can search them with that link. He is a really a top notch and well respected expert on oil painting.

Raffless

“Things cannot be expressed with words yet he expresses in words all his feelings and thoughts on what painting is all about??? He describes the undescribable apparently :lol:

Sometimes painters just need to stop being homespun philosophers. Rant over again :)

Anonymous

No, he did not do that and you have missed it and do not understand what he is talking about.

I didn’t want to bring this up but this is exactly why Virgil is not participating here, and it is precisely why we have lost so many valuable and knowledgeable contributors, and that has lessened the value of this community drastically.

When Virgil used to post here, he was met with our fellow members constantly ranting, putting down, arguing with, and being unfriendly to him.
                    So like any party where you are not welcome, you simply choose to leave.
                    I know this to be the case, having directly spoken with Virgil and others about this unfortunate fact.

bhamhawker

Tischler also did the first episode with Cesar Santos, which was excellent. He says he has multiple episodes pre-recorded now, so hopefully they become more frequent. I find him endlessly fascinating and easy to listen to.

I really love the Virgil one too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.