Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia done at a workshop on the ‘meticulous’ style of painting on rice paper

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vhere

I went to a workshop on Chinese painting in the ‘meticulous style’ today – not the loose strokes of how to do bamboo etc that is maybe better known.

Everything is first outlined very neatly (errmmm I don’t really do neat!) and we learnt how to hold the brush upright and how to grip it, move our wrist etc so the exercise below was working from a book, the image our choice. It’s on tracing paper as the idea was to learn how to do a consistent line and a varied line. I ended up not tracing but working from the image of the bird. It suited me better.

When dry, colour is added, again with a certain way of working – one brush with colour, one with water to spread and thin it. The rice paper used for this isn’t very absorbent, it is mineral coated, so there is time to move it about.

And then I worked from a photo I’d quickly taken of my orchids yesterday. So at this point just line.

Then after lunch we could continue with the same image or use our own. I’d taken some stuff to work from of my own. I’d really rather it was ‘mine’ and learn how to apply the techniques to an workof my own.

a loose watercolour I’d done from life, which Si Yuan said would work well –

and then did it in the ‘meticulous style’ – drawn freehand and interpreted a little to try to make it work with line. It’s really not quite finished and needs a few more layers of colour glazed to achieve the colours I want. I don’t have the proper pigments at home though so will call it finished ….. maybe ….. unless I glaze with acrylics.

Done with a very limited range of colours as colour mixing is done by layering. Just one yellow, red and blue.

I can see the way of using the brush being useful, though I wouldn’t aim to copy a style completely. The colour is a bit looser and freer than it should be traditionally but we didn’t have long to work and I wanted to move it along :)

The whole set up is important and to work you need to be calm and meditative – things around need to be nice, incense, music, pretty pots for water and ink and palette etc …. no plastic but china. It was very calming.

The pigments are water soluble but dry waterproof

and now I’m worn out!

A nice day :)

lalflen

This is absolutely stunning! Great job!

Happy Painting
            Linda

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
            Anonymous

Very nice, vhere! The result of this glazing process is very appealing to me.

Steven Reddy, one of my current “Urban Sketchers” heros, spent a year sketching in the Orient and has pretty well mastered the method of grisaille with line, diluted ink & hatching, then layering, basically with yellow, magenta, cyan and blue watercolors in turn. He illustrates his method in his book, “Everyday Sketching and Drawing,” and also in his Craftsy course, “Dynamic Detail in Pen, Ink and Watercolor.” His quick, loose journalling, and sometimes cartoonish art (in a good way) appeals to me very much, as does your painting. I hope you’ll share more of your art with this technique!

Viv, you had a superb workshop with such remarkable results that you can adapt to your own unique style. These are all so attractive and desirable. I love!!!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

vhere

Thank you so much everyone. I am going to ask her to get me a large sheet of rice paper next time she goes to China on business and I will experiment more, probably using acrylics with flow enhancer as I did try this once and it worked quite well. I now know much more about the technique and took notes so hopefully will play some more.

Hi there Vivien – beautiful work! I don’t think I would have had the patience to try the “Meticulous Style” of Chinese painting. I guess it would take some time to master the technique. But I really love the way you’ve incorporated it into your own style! :thumbsup:

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

vhere

that was the idea of going Vivien :) to find useful things to use in my own way and certainly the way you hold the brush to do the lines does give a lot of control – I showed it to my students today She works very slowly and neatly, without resting her hand on the paper at all. We were allowed to.

Shanec

Marvellous work and something we should all do, attend workshops to broaden our skills.

The whole thing is very appealing, atmosphere, environment, tools, music all carefully selected to make it an “experience”.

I don’t even have a studio or anything at home, just a kitchen bench and a stool.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

vhere

totally agree and I attend workshops on allsorts whenever I can find quality ones :) I don’t want to copy the style of someone else but there are always things to learn that can be used in my own way – as with this – I plan to do some more but will add the colour in my own way, not according to the ‘rules ‘ :)

mgthorvaldsen

Thanks Vhere for sharing this workshop with us. Your choice to use some your own work and apply new things makes so much sense…..your finished work turned out beautifully and it was nice to see the detail of the “sketches”. ;-) R/marianne

Marianne
                                    "The best ships are friendships and may they always be.." anon.

[PHP][/PHP]

vhere
                                        ColdPress

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Happy painting! ... CP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.