Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil polychromos – pablos dupes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lucille.K

ok do we have this in the art world? In the makeup world people compile extensive lists of colors that are exactly the same (or very close) in different brands and call them ‘dupes’. I have a full set of F-C polychromos and was wanting to get a set of CD Pablos but I was curious if I’m going to have a ton of duplicate colors? Does anyone know which colors in the pablos are identical to colors in the full polychromos set?:crossfingers:

ManedWolf

You might take a look at HarvestMoon‘s excellent website:

http://coloredpencilinfo.com/

Detailed descriptions and colour charts.

I’m sure there are several dupes in two large sets but Caran d’Ache has (in my opinion) more bright colours and better warm browns and grays than Faber-Castell. I have both full 120 sets as well as all 120 Derwent Studios and I like to pick up specific brands for specific purposes: if I feel like summer I choose Caran d’Ache, for soft autumn pictures it’s Derwent and Faber-Castell is for darker shades. Having two large sets isn’t too much – that’s my opinion and my solution, everyone has his/her own.

Heikki

HarvestMoon

Thanks Heikki! I quite agree with you, I always loved CD for the brighter colors. Flower painters, etc. love the CD selection. But I just finished making new, very extensive color charts for each. If you download the full sized ones you can compare them side by side, as well as having a handy reference you can view on your computer or tablet.

Harvest Moon 🐐

Lucille.K

thanks guys!! That was really helpful!

and thanks so much Linda for your awesome website – I spent last night printing out and comparing the two brands – I’ll definitely pick up a full set of CDs when I can since I LOVE warm greys and they do have so many

HarvestMoon

Lucille thank you so much! Greatly appreciate the kind words and your trying out the charts!

Harvest Moon 🐐

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.