Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery The Cove xpost from landscapes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    b’anna

I have been playing with pan pastels and am having a blast. I am realllly liking these things. Most of the time I can get the sharpness I need just from the pans but this time I did a few finishing touches with pastel pencils. I’ve also been playing with any surface I can get my hands on and so far PastelMat is my favorite. It really holds the layers and I have no problem adding pastel pencil at the end. Some of the others I’ve tried, the tooth is just to saturated to let me get the pencil down. Thanks for looking and any Comments, Critiques, thoughts, are gratefully accepted.
        Thanks again!
        Barb

Ruthie57

I really like this. Amazing what can be done with pan pastels in the right hands!

b’anna

Ruthie, Thanks!
                I don’t know about the right hands but I’m having fun! I think my advantage is I have no soft pastle experience and I think in this case it works in my favor. I don’t have any preconceived notions of what pastles should do. But honestly its beginners LUCK!!

Donna T

I agree – you are really good with the Pan Pastels, Barb! You are getting some great textures on the rocks and foliage. My only thought is that maybe you could hold back on some of the lightest lights and save them for wherever you want your main focal area to be. If you can put your painting into a program to look at it in grayscale it might help explain what I mean. At the moment my Photoshop program has crashed but if you don’t mind I’ll give it a try when it recovers. I find it really helpful to take the colors out to see the “bones” of the painting.

Donna
                    C&C Always Welcome

water girl

Wonderful! You have mastered Pans.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Lakshmi2116

oh that is lovely. makes me want to use my pan pastels more.

b’anna

Thanks folks!! And Lakshmi..go grab those pans and forget everything you ever knew about soft pastels. Treat these as the new medium that they are!!

The Angler

Really love this it has everything movement, colour, texture, nice!

I am not competent to judge on different pastels, but this painting shows how dextrous you are with your pastels and those bright lights and dark shades vying with each other to make you achieve your end is magnificient.

Charles

b’anna

Angler, thanks !
                                        Charles, Thanks so much!!
                                        Barb

You managed to create a lot of different textures with the pans.
                                        And there is a lot of movement in it. That is nice.

Esther

b’anna

Thanks Esther!! I am new at pastels so it has been a learning experience. But I am having SO much fun learning!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.