Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Salsa with wip photos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rich A

Hi ! This is one of my latest ones. 16×20 inches on panel with coarse grit texture. Started off with charcoal sketch, then first layers are mungyo and neopastel blended in. Senneliers for highlights and to pop colors. Most important part of this was getting the sketch correct. I used a black and red charcoal for that. I sprayed a fix on that and then layers of OP… Also really wanted to emphasize movement and energy from dance. Thanks for looking C&C is appreciated!

Rich A

wip shots

Rich A

more

Great work on the dancers! Lovely palette!

Christel

terriks

Wow! Have no fear about whether or not you accomplished showing movement and action in this painting. :eek: Energy plus! The palette is lovely.

I like your decision to go for a coarse board here; it really helps keep the need for sharp details down. The background is so cool, and fits the scene perfectly – I’m guessing you had a lot of fun with it. ;)

The postures of the dancers is amazing. I only have one nit, and it may be just the way it’s hitting me on my smaller screen: I can’t decide if the extended woman’s hand is overly large, or if the arm itself is a bit too long…it seems to have swelled a bit from the original sketch.

But overall, an exciting painting – hope you’re proud of it, you should be! :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Thanks Christel and Terri!

Terri – Yes! her arm is not totally anatomically correct. I messed up on where her elbow starts. It should be closer to top of her head, and instead I extended the elbow too far so her upper arm looks longer. But…It’s not really bothering me. Strange as that is. So I just left as is.

Her hand is also large. Part of that has to do with the ref pic and angle her hand was at and also, The ref pic was also blurry as these two were in full dance. Again, I’m not bothered enough by it to change.

Rich A

Here are some close ups so you can really see the texture. You can see how much grit this surface has. The surfaces really does enhance the vibrancy of color. Feels like it’s bouncing off the surface. Helps with overall goal of movement, energy, dance and the connection between the two dancers.

terriks

Ooo! Thanks for the additional pics here – love seeing this texture up close. Yes, I want to emphasize that my comment about the arm is a minor nitpick, it doesn’t distract from the overall energy and fun of the painting. It’s pretty much got the Wow factor going from top to bottom.

You’re really getting good with people in your paintings. :thumbsup:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

SarahY

Fantastic energy in this piece and terrific values.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                    \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                    Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

E-J

Love the texture, colour and liveliness of this, Rich! Had no idea how much of an impasto technique you’d used till I saw the close-ups. Really nice. My only nitpick was that hand, which appears slightly thickened and elongated. What kind of panel do you use? Do you prime it yourself?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.