Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting My lotus painting – wip – how to paint background?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    PhuongMy

Canvas 50×70

Before

After, not finished yet

I have no clue how to paint background with knife. I will learn about it next week.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

123harry

I think it needs to ba as simple as possible. The plain blue toned ground you started with seems ideal to me. The flower is graceful and beautifully painted. The current background detracts from it.

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

PhuongMy

I have the same thought, Harry, tks.

C&C are always welcome.

Humbaba

It is advisable to paint the background before you paint the flower, or before you complete the main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSlTlsUc18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHo-KyNtOnQ

kentiessen

It can be very simple- if you can paint a flower like this, a background is easy. Anything to set the flower off: a suggestion of sky, grass, or just about anything will do. Look at the top of my recent rose sketch thread here in oils- just a bit of color and texture-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

PhuongMy

It is advisable to paint the background before you paint the flower, or before you complete the main theme.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSlTlsUc18[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHo-KyNtOnQ[/url]

Volegov is one of my favorite artists on YouTube. Yes, I know background should be painted first, but I still feel the need to modify it when it is too boring… Thanks very much Humbaba

C&C are always welcome.

PhuongMy

It can be very simple- if you can paint a flower like this, a background is easy. Anything to set the flower off: a suggestion of sky, grass, or just about anything will do. Look at the top of my recent rose sketch thread here in oils- just a bit of color and texture-

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/24-Jun-2018/130333-Tiessen-rose-wc-det.jpeg[/IMG]

I love the sunlights on your petals. I’m always attracted to the light, that may be why I used a lot of yellow in my background. I will darken it next time, when the paints are drier… My instructor will give me some guiding on using painting knife next week… and I must give this technique a try on this painting …

Thank you for your advice, Kentiessen.

C&C are always welcome.

🤟🏻

After seeing a few paintings, I really like your style, and as much as my word is a lot less learned and experienced than that of most others on the forum, I like the explosion of light you were building up behind the flower in the second shot- it just may need a bit of tweaking to get the effect you were looking for, IMO.

If the firey background glow you have in the second picture were shifted a bit lower (almost as low as it reaches in the first one, where it’s more compositionally “balanced”,) and you changed the highest bud to being behind the petal that it’s sneaking in front of right now, that flower would jump right of the canvas with the contrast you’ve laid down. Adding a bit more of the cool blue color to the upper left behind the flower would help the effect.

Whatever you do, keep on painting those flowers, you’ve found something you have quite a knack for.

Paul Moreau
                                    Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                    FB @pmoreaufineart

kentiessen

You are welcome. I’ve been painting a long, long time, and still discover new concepts and techniques at every turn. Enjoy your journey!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

PhuongMy

After seeing a few paintings, I really like your style, and as much as my word is a lot less learned and experienced than that of most others on the forum, I like the explosion of light you were building up behind the flower in the second shot- it just may need a bit of tweaking to get the effect you were looking for, IMO.

If the firey background glow you have in the second picture were shifted a bit lower (almost as low as it reaches in the first one, where it’s more compositionally “balanced”,) and you changed the highest bud to being behind the petal that it’s sneaking in front of right now, that flower would jump right of the canvas with the contrast you’ve laid down. Adding a bit more of the cool blue color to the upper left behind the flower would help the effect.

Whatever you do, keep on painting those flowers, you’ve found something you have quite a knack for.

You give me a lot of help. Thank you very much.

C&C are always welcome.

PhuongMy

With my instructor’s help.

C&C are always welcome.

PhuongMy

To speak the truth I prefer realistic style than this kind of ‘artistic’ one lol

C&C are always welcome.

🤟🏻

To speak the truth I prefer realistic style than this kind of ‘artistic’ one lol

Which aspects of this painting are truest to yourself and your natural inclinations? With the internet and in-person input there’s a lot coming at you. I personally like the colors of the second one most, but prefer the composition and balance of the first one (the background light being strongest lower and to the right, not entirely behind the flower.) I think your feelings are giving you good advice, though- it seems like you might have been made to try too hard on the third update shot. Your natural realism comes out beautifully enough that it needs little more than a gentle nudge from your conscious mind to be at its best :)

Paul Moreau
                                                        Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                                        FB @pmoreaufineart

PhuongMy

Yes, Paul, you’re right. I should follow what I feel satisfied most… I love realistic paintings but people said they are not real art…

C&C are always welcome.

🤟🏻

Yes, Paul, you’re right. I should follow what I feel satisfied most… I love realistic paintings but people said they are not real art…

I can’t speak on the opinions of others because every opinion is inherently valid, but for what it’s worth, I would be thrilled to wake up and see one of your paintings on my wall every morning. That’s not something I say lightly either- you have an amazing ability to make the light dance, realistic or painterly or however else you choose to and feel most at home with. Just do you and it will be beautiful, and it will [em]definitely[/em] be art.

Paul Moreau
                                                                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                                                FB @pmoreaufineart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.