Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting New Painting – Thoughts Wanted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    meganburak

Hi Everyone!

Been a while but I’m back with another painting. I feel like I’m nearing the end and would like some constructive criticism. This is oil on canvas, 20”x30”. Let me know what you think!

Here is a higher quality pic!
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/157894496@N03/42189018694/in/dateposted-public/

Megan Burak Art
        Oil Paintings and Commissions
        www.meganburak.com

Ellis Ammons

I think it’s fantastic the best of your stuff. The subject seems so real.

The only thing that throws me a bit is the blurry background. But it’s a matter of taste I guess. I like everything in focus or completely blurred out but thats just me.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
            oil and acrylic paintings..

CynicalSaint

The only thing that throws me a bit is the blurry background. But it’s a matter of taste I guess. I like everything in focus or completely blurred out but thats just me.

Funny, I was just gunna say the opposite! Definitely a matter of taste. I know that blurring the background and creating depth of field is a really hard technique, and this is quite convincing to me.

I do think that perhaps the rocks (I think they are rocks) at the bottom left, if you give a little detail to the front ones, it will sell your depth of field blurring a bit more.

The figure itself is great, I couldn’t come up with any real criticism of it at all. It is superb!

"Mais que veux tu?" - Vincent van Gogh

Ellis Ammons

Well my thinking is that your eyes can only focus on one thing at a time. So blurring objects takes away from the hyper detail of the piece. Especially when there is so much that is blurred. When I take a reference photo like this I set the camera on the tripod and selective focus as much as I can and then merge them all together in photoshop so that it makes one comprehensive reference. Going with a single reference like this is pretty much all you can do. It’s the limit of photo realism.

Hopefully that doesn’t seem to harsh Megan. I think your good enough to benefit from all the criticism you can get. This is one of the best peices I’ve seen on here in a long time.. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of praise momentarily.:wave:

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                    oil and acrylic paintings..

ptrkgmc

This is very realistic, especially the scarf. For myself, the universal blur of the background could become more crisp as it comes forward.

123harry

Virtuoso use of the paint. Well done!

C&C always welcome.
                            Instagram harry.hamill

AllisonR

The shirt and the scarf are superb, both in terms of unusual colors together for a western eye, and in terms of the gracefulness of the stripes and the paisley pattern.

The skin tones are nice, as well as the accuracy of the features. However the front of the neck looks like a bubble, awkward. Also the flesh highlights look too ashen, as if the person has white powder on them.

The background is fine blurry, I think it helps keep the figure as the main focus. However you took such care with the figure and the background looks like a sloppy afterthought. It isn’t painted with the same amount of grace and skill as your figure. Even if it is blurry it should be done with care – for example the building is crooked, and the path looks way too steep. Both problems add a feeling of stress – imbalance. This could have easily been fixed by thinking about this and fixing the photo reference ahead of time, instead of just slavishly copying it.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/

No crit from me- another great painting from you- well done!

bethany
                                moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                                website www.bethanyart.com
                                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

MDerby

I like it it very much. The one thing I think I would tinker with is the rocks. I agree that a little more detail in the closer rocks would help sell the depth. I think the figure is done and I like what you did with the hut and sky. Are you on instagram?

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

Raffless

Yup its a photograph..Only kidding :). Good to see you back Megan.

I think you need to remove the leaves over the ladies head. As in all photos the less distractions the better. But all in all great technique.

🤟🏻

Absolutely gorgeous! Like a couple of others have mentioned, if those rocks on the left came to a sharper focus it could add to the depth- but also as others have said, this is crazy good so don’t overthink it :p

Paul Moreau
                                            Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                            FB @pmoreaufineart

One of the previous comments hit it right on the head. Adding a little detail to the rocks in the bottom left would definitely put this piece over the top

IG @itssospreadable
                                            Twitter:@TANGODOWN21

sea dangler

Excellent work Megan,to my old eyes those “rocks” look more like raw ginger to me,smiling.
                                                Dave

PhuongMy

She is so lively. Amazing.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

kentiessen

Excellent! Terrific work on the figure, composition, and color, and I think the softness of the background is good just as it is now.

My only comment would be to the character of drawing in the rocks- maybe more angular with distinct planes.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.