Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Vie Nocturne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

I’m generally not a favorite type of artist according to most galleries. The reason is that my work does not seem to “fit” into any specific sort of genre, or even specific style. What they don’t understand is that I would gladly supply a gallery with any sort of genre they prefer, as long as that’s what they would like me to do. I love painting, and it doesn’t make much difference to me what style, or what subject I’m painting.

Whenever I feel the need to work outside my realistic, comfort zone, I just do that, attempting to emulate whatever “style” I have chosen as my goal for that specific painting. It seems that often when I do that, I experience a bit of success, with either awards, or sales.

And, I enjoy painting “outside my box”.

This is one that I painted with a palette knife, on a RayMar acrylic-primed canvas panel, that I call, “Vie Nocturne”. It is a rather impressionistic version of “Night Life” in some “European setting”.

I just had a ball doing this, I don’t really care much if it “fits” into my specific realistic “niche”, or not.:lol: As I recall, I only used about 3 colors for this painting, and offhand, I don’t remember what they were. Probably Ivory Black, Burnt Umber, and Yellow Ocher, plus White, of course. The remaining color would be Orange that I used for the lit cigarette in the lower, right.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Dcam
            WFMartin

Thank you, Derek.

ptrkgmc

WF, I t grabbed me, and I ha to look twice at the name. Does this say anything of spontaneity?

Alan P. in OC

Beautiful Bill, and I must say you gotta lot of range with your subjects and styles. You should work with a knife more often!

midwest

I love this moody style

Kathie :
                            🤟🏻

Spontaneous but a great idea :thumbsup: I really like this, the limited pallette has a nice ambience to it

Paul Moreau
                                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                FB @pmoreaufineart

PhuongMy

I like its color tone. But why do you use the white shadow there?

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

ttest47

Excellent and fresh looking. I can empathize with your comment that you “had a ball” doing this. When i paint I keep several canvases going at once, and i always like to have one that allows the creative spirit to break free when working on other compositions requiring very meticulous, indirect painting.

Lazarus E

this white/grey shade really break the atmosphere.
                                            well done.

Bill this is really nice, you handled the different style very well.
                                            What is the size?

I bet galleries would like those surreal object paintings you sometimes do.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Loretta7

Beautiful – like to see more!

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

Pinguino

Good grief… You can do that too? Wow. :clap:

WFMartin

I guess I forgot to mention, it is a 16″ x 20″ RayMar canvas Panel.

Thank you, everyone for your comments.:) I find it relaxing, and enjoyable to step outside my comfort zone, to paint something in a style that is different for me, once in awhile.

Dcam
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.