WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 AM

How do I mix the shady side of the snowy mountain?

How to do I get this kind of shade on the side of the mountain using these acrylic paints?

All Apple Barrel Brands:

20404E Black, 20745E Burnt Umber, 20717E Bright Blue, 20403E White, 20401E bright red, 20711E Canary Yellow, 20429E Christmas Green, 20713E Spring Green

If it is not possible to mix, what would be second best in your opinions?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: How do I mix the shady side of the snowy mountain?

You could try this: Lay out a tiny blob of your Bright Blue. To this, add just about one-third as much white to lighten the mix. Restated, 3 parts Blue, one part White. This may work on its own, or be too colourful. If too colourful, then add just a pencil dot of your black to knock down the colourfullness of the mix. This, if it's close, you could "scumble" as a thin layer over a very dry layer of the Rocks/snow layer you have previously painted. Your set is matte - so somewhat opaque/chaulky - this is why the overpainting layer for the shadow should be very thin so the underlayer shows through. Let it dry, evaluate, and possible layer again? Just a thought for a strategy.

It is possible that your blue is green enough in bias that it won't match the photo exactly as well as you would like. I would just think of working with your own mixes, and how they work together for contrasts one mix against another, and not worry too much if it's not an exact match to the photo.So, the end result with the paint set you have could be seen as if the sun were "warmer" casting more of a warm glow onto the mountain, rather than the mid day "cold" blue of the photo. It's a very subtle difference for you painting, though I've added the shift a bit more strongly (just for illustrative purposes) here:

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM

Hi there! Thanks for the advice, this is the best that I got so far. What do you think?

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

Is the background mountains your work and not the reference pic? (sorry it's not clear by your description). The mountains look awesome.

Kinda echoing Kolinsky, a good 'overall color' for the shadow sides of snowy mountains, under a blue sky, is more or less a greyish blue (whether more violet-blue or greenish-blue...is up to you).
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
Is the background mountains your work and not the reference pic? (sorry it's not clear by your description). The mountains look awesome.

Kinda echoing Kolinsky, a good 'overall color' for the shadow sides of snowy mountains, under a blue sky, is more or less a greyish blue (whether more violet-blue or greenish-blue...is up to you).

The last photo I gave, yes it is the painting I am working on. I almost regret doing this with acrylic, I feel like this painting would of been a million times easier if I just went with oil paints. Thanks for your guys input!