Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #601 – Sept 2 – Sept 10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #601: Sep 2 – Sep 10

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

http://https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=366347
        Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

Scavenger Hunt #601: Sep 2 – Sep 10
        A vegetable
        A landscape
        Favorite art material
        Something crunchy or crisp
        A flower or plant
        Smaller than your hand
        Larger than you
        Something living
        Something with legs
        Something with wheels
        Something red
        Something clear/transparent
        Made of metal
        Made of fabric
        Made of wood
        Tasty
        Sweet
        Sour
        In a bottle
        In a tube
        In a bag
        Used for cleaning
        Used for cooking
        Used for grooming (for you or your pet)
        Well loved
        Well used

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

eyepaint

Thanks for the new list, Joan :) I’m inspired to do some of these items before I’ve finished working on sketches for my hunt :)

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

EP – Have fun sketching them.

1 – something with wheels – watercolor and ink
                2 – flowers
                3 – made of metal (light posts)
                4 – made of wood (doors) – watercolors and ink
                5 -something living (plants)

eyepaint

Joan – yay look at your street scene, and the church is handsome!

Here are mine, graphite, 5.5 x 8.5″ tanned paper

1. made of wood (pencil)
                    2. made of metal (ruler)
                    3. made of fabric (ribbon around book)
                    4. smaller than hand (eraser)

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:

Joan, thanks for the list. Your two sketches are so nice. I really like the flowers and cars. Don’t know how you do cars so well.

EP, Your graphite sketches are wonderful. I like the eraser and fingers.

I sketched on my iPad with Brushes Redux, Apple pencil and fingers.
                    #1 something red
                    #2 clear/transparent.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                    My website https://jocastilloart.com

eyepaint

Jo – thank you. Oooh look at your gorgeous transparent!!

-- EP Moderator for:

Joan T

EP – Thank you. Love the zipper and the small eraser between your fingers! For a minute I thought you were measuring your pencil. lol

Jo – I have to really concentrate when I sketch cars…sometimes so much that my brain hurts.lol They seem to be much harder than anything else since I avoided drawing them for so long. You got some lovely white highlights in that glass! Woo-hoo!

individuo

Hello everybody

Joan T, thank you very much for the list. Lovely watercolors, and being landscape on the list, I am looking forward to seeing your next one.

EP, great sketches, my favorite the hand with the eraser. The ruler is upside down, you should use the centimeters side :D

Jo, wow! Excellent.

C&C are welcome as well as any corrections on my English.

eyepaint

Joan – thank you :)

individuo – thank you! For some things I think in inches, for other things in centimeters. I guess you’d say I’m bilingual? :)

-- EP Moderator for:

Joan T

Individuo, I am hoping to get out to do a landscape soon. ;)

6 – in a bag (cookies) – brush pen and watercolors
                                        7 – smaller than my hand (tomato) – watercolors and ink

Eye

Fantastic start of this Hunt by the lovely sketching bees: EP, Joan, and Jo.

Joan: Thanks for the list. I plan to do some items soon.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                                            https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Jo – I have to really concentrate when I sketch cars…sometimes so much that my brain hurts.lol They seem to be much harder than anything else since I avoided drawing them for so long. You got some lovely white highlights in that glass! Woo-hoo!

Drat, I was hoping you had a tip for a quick fix. Never want to hear that it takes WORK. Back to the practice …. LOL Joan, those cookies look like some tiny chocolate chips we get at Trader Joe’s. Yummy. The tomato is cute in your hand. I like eating tomatoes better than other fruit. I like veggies better in general.

EP, yep, you are bilingual!

individuo- thanks, and hi there.

Company coming tonight, but maybe I’ll get a sketch in while I watch the oven.

Hi to all the rest….

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                            My website https://jocastilloart.com

eyepaint

Joan – mmm cookies and little tomatoes :)

-- EP Moderator for:

jmfletch

Joan – I am with jo, you do cars great. The church is excellent. Can almost hear the congregation singing. Cookies and tomato look yummy..

EP – I know fibrous and zipper are last hunt but they both are well done. Can feel the tension in the fingers holding the eraser. Nice work on the ribbon.

Jo – love the pastel. The Apple looks ready to bite but love how you capture the light and transparency of the glass. (And for the record tomato is a fruit.)

Ai and all the lurkers :wave: :wave:

I haven’t been doing much in last few hunts as I have been working on a graphite course. I did this flower trying to use the technique from the course. Basically it is using hatching vice blending. Took the course after reading teacher comments that blending made a drawing look cloudy and lifeless. His theory is that using hatching and crosshatching creat a more dynamic drawing. Despite the artist ‘s opinions I think I like blending and realism better.

1 flower – HB, F & 2B in. 5.5×8 in sketchbook.

Keep sketching
                                                    Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Pine Cone

Joan — Thanks for the new list!

Your two paintings had an interesting effect on me. The top one made me feel a slight tension because it was so real, including the electricity draped about. And the second one, also very real, soothed any tension from the electricity of the first with its calm beauty 😊

Also, I agree with JoC about the cars and LOVE the color of the foreground car.

Yum, Tate’s, my fav 😁 Beautifully shaded hand.

EP — Wonderful sketches. You’re the master of complex, repeating patterns, wow! Lovely photo as well 🌟

JoC — Lovely textured drawing, full of life and dimensionality :thumbsup: LOL re: your comment to Joan. Have fun tonight!

individuo and Ai:wave:

Joe — Your flower and crosshatched background are lovely! The contrast between the sense of the background and the sense of the petals is very appealing 😊

It’s inspiring to learn of the courses you take, and to see how you think about, and apply, what you’re learning.

FWIW, I completely agree with you about blending, but also agree a little with the instructor. Here’s what I mean…..

In my opinion, it always comes down to the way a technique is used. But, to me, the technique itself is NEUTRAL, neither good nor bad.

I think YOUR ability to blend is superb and your rich, gorgeous drawings here over the years prove that blending is a viable, life-giving technique — a skill that would add depth to the work of all of us who might choose to learn it.

And, for less skilled people like me, blending can occasionally reduce the quality of my work. The Procreate app I’ve been using for these SH events has three modes:

….. Paint
                                                        ….. Blend
                                                        ….. Erase

I’ve literally never once even tapped on “Blend” mode. I don’t think I have the ability to use it in a positive fashion yet. But I’m sure others do.

I hope this made sense :eek:

Everyone — I’m going to try sketching today, finally. I think my hand is about 80% healed. I guess I’ll find out :lol:

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.