Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art New Member Intro – Dragons and Faeries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Okay, I know this probably isn’t the forum for new member introductions, but I pretty much joined because I’ve started (restarted) practising drawing in order to create fantasy based art.

I’m mainly into dragons and faeries, so am working on that kind of stuff. Only since the beginning of the year, and I’ve got a way to go, but enjoying the doing so far.

Do you draw dragons or faeries? How do you go about it?

:cat:

WoodyWelch

Among just about everything else, I draw, paint, and sometimes sculpt Dragons, Faeries, Dinosaurs, Fighter Planes, Pneumatic Woman…portraits, everything. Working on Fantasy subjects is hard because you have to use more imagination than reference photos ’cause dragons and faeries are getting real hard to come by. I don’t mean to be facetious, but, after getting a head photo of a human type character and drawing up that, I just make up the rest. I usually have a mental picture and try for that….sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. :wave:

Great images @WoodyWelch

I’m going down the same basic route.

Currently seeking out interesting fey looking models in photos online and sketching those. Once I feel confident with doing that, I’m going to start playing around with skin textures and colours, eye types and other features to accentuate.

I’m also currently looking at leaves, mushrooms and other woodland flora, plus insects etc., for settings; as well as to collate a suitable portfolio of shapes, textures and colours for hair, wings, clothing etc.

For dragons I’m doing similar things. I’ve mainly been sketching predators, and looking at fangs, necks, eyes, scales etc. Plus dabbling with sketching castles and ruins for settings (finding these trickier than anticipated).

There’s so much to explore with just focusing on these two subjects, that I’ve already got a heap tonne of research and practice to do.

Do you sell your work, or create to order? Or is that an ambition?

Yes, finding dragons to model for you is really difficult. I have done a series of digital dragon paintings. I usually start with a basic plan for the head and then make a really simple model with polymer clay. That helps me draw the head from different angle. I spent years looking at pictures and developing my dragon’s anatomy. The nice thing about dragons is you can be really creative with them. I will also sometimes look at people to help with some positioning, though a couple of times I had to remind myself not to make them too human. Human hands on a dragon is creepy.

I also couldn’t decide how I wanted the scales to look so I was just painting them smooth skinned. I finally worked on that not too long ago. I need to make some time to go over all my dragons. My plan is to put them in a book one day.

Here is one of my dragons after I added scales. Mine are peaceful and a little cartoony.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
        Every painting is a new adventure.

Yes, finding dragons to model for you is really difficult. I have done a series of digital dragon paintings.

V cute Lavender Frost :heart:

Are you writing a story for your dragons? I’ve been writing something. Got a way to go yet though.

talisman

For fairies I use a person as the reference then add wings and stuff.
            Dragons there is a good book, Dragonart by J “neonDragon” Peffer.
            It goes at dragons with simple shapes and then how to flesh them out.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
            C and C always welcome.
            My DeviantArt Gallery

WoodyWelch

Great images @WoodyWelch

I’m going down the same basic route.

Currently seeking out interesting fey looking models in photos online and sketching those. Once I feel confident with doing that, I’m going to start playing around with skin textures and colours, eye types and other features to accentuate.

I’m also currently looking at leaves, mushrooms and other woodland flora, plus insects etc., for settings; as well as to collate a suitable portfolio of shapes, textures and colours for hair, wings, clothing etc.

For dragons I’m doing similar things. I’ve mainly been sketching predators, and looking at fangs, necks, eyes, scales etc. Plus dabbling with sketching castles and ruins for settings (finding these trickier than anticipated).

There’s so much to explore with just focusing on these two subjects, that I’ve already got a heap tonne of research and practice to do.

Do you sell your work, or create to order? Or is that an ambition?

I’ve been at this for just over forty years and worked MOSTLY in movies and tv where you can’t put your name on the images (“We’re selling the movie, Woody, NOT you…”) I made a pile of dough and am semi-retired but I still draw, paint, and sculpt all over the place. I will probably die at my easel…..or face first in a stack of pancakes at Denny’s. :D

For fairies I use a person as the reference then add wings and stuff.
                Dragons there is a good book, Dragonart by J “neonDragon” Peffer.
                It goes at dragons with simple shapes and then how to flesh them out.

Ohmagawd, look at that baby dragon with kitten pic! I want one <3
                I'll look up the book, thank you. This is the one I got:

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantastic-Dragons-How-Draw-Them/dp/1782216804/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dragon+drawing&qid=1557997649&s=gateway&sr=8-3[/url]

I’ve been at this for just over forty years and worked MOSTLY in movies and tv where you can’t put your name on the images (“We’re selling the movie, Woody, NOT you…”) I made a pile of dough and am semi-retired but I still draw, paint, and sculpt all over the place. I will probably die at my easel…..or face first in a stack of pancakes at Denny’s. :D

What a fanbleedintastic way to make a living (though no doubt it has it’s challenges like any job). I wish I’d gone down a creative route. Or at least maintained it as a hobby. I have a lot of catching up to in order to get to a competent place. Spent around two hours yesterday evening sketching a nekkid couple in one pose. Result one slightly ropey pen line drawing. Eh oh.

Off to check out your portfolio… :)

I made series of creative dragons and wrote a bit of a story to go with each one, in rhyming verse.

That cute dragon and kitten reside in my living room btw. :D

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                Every painting is a new adventure.

talisman

I have several of the Tom Kidd books, but not that one.

My main inspiration artist is the fantastic Michael Whelan, if I can get 1/10 as good as him I would be so happy!

Michelle I’m glad you are enjoying Lavender and Frost, I loved making them for you!:heart:

C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

I like drawing dragons but I prefer the medieval tapestry style of drawing them. Or Godzilla who is the ultimate dragon. :D

Just keep practicing, it sounds like you’re going down the right paths. If you’d like help, post an image and ask for C&C (comments and critiques). Don’t worry about what level you’re at, we all have been there!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                    Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

I like drawing dragons but I prefer the medieval tapestry style of drawing them. Or Godzilla who is the ultimate dragon. :D

Just keep practicing, it sounds like you’re going down the right paths. If you’d like help, post an image and ask for C&C (comments and critiques). Don’t worry about what level you’re at, we all have been there!

Tapestry style, that sounds interesting – mediaeval tapestry is so engaging. On a somewhat tangential note, I’m also really keen on old woodblock art. Devils and angels and all the horrors of the superstitious world.

Thank you for the suggestions. And what a nice friendly forum :heart:

I love old woodblocks, I’ve been trying out linocutting lately. I’m not really good at it yet but I’m having fun with it.

I really like old maps too and the dragons and beasts they put on them.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                    Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

talisman

Old maps are so cool!

Here there be monsters!

C and C always welcome.
                        My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.