Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #595: Jul 16 – 24

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Eye

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Art from Life forum:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are our rules for this Hunt:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to
        finish the entire list to participate! Scavenger Hunt #61 will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

———————————-
        Here is the list of Hunt#595
        ———————————-
        Address
        Adjust
        Analog
        Anatomy
        Ancient
        Animal

Tree/plant/bush/shrub
        Trans fat
        Transparent/Translucent
        Traditional
        Transformation

Beat
        Bell
        Beneath
        Benign
        Best

Flag
        Flaw
        Flour or related to flour
        Flower
        Flow

Fabric
        Glass
        Metal
        Plastic
        Wood

Have fun !!! Enjoy !!!

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
        https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

eyepaint

Thanks for the new list, Ai :)

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

jmfletch

Thanks for interesting list.

Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Pine Cone

Thanks for a fun new list Ai!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

item #1 – transformation

[em]Lite Owl[/em] stereoscopic viewer[/color]

This amazing viewer came with a book called [em]Mission Moon 3-D,[/em] by David Eicher and Brian May. I got it awhile back from my local Barnes & Noble. The viewer comes safely cached in a rigid cutout in the inside back cover of the book.

Dr. Brian May is a founder and lead guitarist for the legendary rock group Queen, and is also an astrophysicist. His decades-long interest in 3D photographs ultimately resulted in this book, with its viewer and its unique and mesmerizing images.

The book contains many astonishing images from the moon missions in 3D, thanks to Brian May. With this viewer, I feel like I can put my hand around parts of the lunar module, and run my fingers through the crumbling ridges of dust defining the astronauts’ boot prints there on the Moon.

In other words, the viewer transforms[/color][/size] the normal-looking photographs (which come in special pairs), into gobsmacking 3D scenes. Indescribable. You have to experience them to believe it. Although it’s possible to learn to merge the two images in your mind without the viewer, the impact (at least for me) is significantly greater with the included viewer.

More info below my sketch…..

Here’s my sketch of the viewer:

And here’s a pic of the book itself:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mission-moon-3-d-david-eicher/1128877439?ean=9780262039451#/

For those interested, Brian May also co-authored an enchanting book called [em]A Village Lost and Found.[/em] It’s a beautiful and artful volume that contains an “annotated collection of the original 1850s stereoscopic photograph series Scenes in Our Village by T. R. Williams brought together for the first time in living memory.”

https://www.londonstereo.com/book.html

More info about stereoscopic viewing and the Mission Moon book, etc., can be found at this gorgeous website with an understated vintage (nostalgic) feel.

https://www.londonstereo.com

In my time zone, the 50th anniversary dates for NASA’s Apollo 11 Moon Mission go like this…..

—–> Tuesday, July 16 ………… anniversary of the NASA launch 😂

—–> Saturday, July 20 ……….. anniversary of mankind’s landing on the Moon 😂

—–> Saturday, July 20 ……….. anniversary of Neil Armstong’s first step 😂

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual pastel on virtual sanded panel.

Freehand. No drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

Eye

PineCone: Awesome start of our Hunt with space viewing transformation aid…. Cool…and Wow… I have never know before that Brian May of Queen is astrophysicist …. awesome info. Thanks.

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Pine Cone

Ai — Thanks for your kind words 🙂 Yeah, he’s an amazing person. He’s contributed so much to my life through his various efforts 🌌

Pine Cone

item #2 – ancient

petrified wood[/color]

I’ve been excited about the 50th anniversary of mankind walking on the Moon, and reading about the studies of the rocks the astronauts brought back. I found out that one of the moon rocks the Apollo 14 astronauts brought back probably originated on Earth!

https://earthsky.org/space/is-this-ancient-moon-rock-from-earth

I would have loved to sketch a moon rock, but what can you do? Having no moon rocks, I decided to sketch a bit of petrified wood from a grab basket of various rock chips. Although it’s small enough to sit on a quarter with room to spare, and only cost a buck or so, it’s fun to imagine what it might have been through during its lifetime. It’s most likely millions of years old (though there are some exceptions).

I started out planning to only do a speed sketch. But I kept adding to it. Was listening to Don Henley’s “Goodbye to a River” which may have influenced the background. It all ended up being sort of a hodge podge. Turned into a bit of a “learning experience” but I’m posting it anyway, because it was fun 🙂

Here are some gorgeous pics of petrified wood:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Petrified_Acacia_Wood.JPG

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Petrified_tree_trunk_and_Welwitschia_(Namibia).jpg

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual pastel on virtual sanded panel.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Eye

PineCone: Awesome wood piece …love it and love your background too… It gives the warm feel copper patina , which compliments very well of the wood.

Ai

eyepaint

Sketches first; then I’ll return with comments.

Graphite, 8×11″

1. animal (quilted dog)
                                            2. translucent (plastic ruler)
                                            3. analog (count on your fingers)
                                            4. beneath (the post it pad is beneath the erasers)

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:
                                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Pine Cone

Ai — Thanks for your kind words 😊 Your patina thought means a lot, thank you!

EP — Awww, a quilted dog spotting! Excellent idea for analog, beautifully drawn — and great details and perspective on your cool supplies! :cool:

Pine Cone

item #3 – analog

wall clock[/color]

Time for more blind contours.

This time I did NOT stick to continuous line. And I tried to do circles :eek: :lol:

Eyes closed for each attempt, but opened in between the attempts, to see how far wrong I had gone :lol: And I blocked the screen with cardboard to prevent any possible subliminal view of my screen, just in case, as always.

For each attempt, I started with a center dot, then tried to do a small circle around it, and then another circle beyond that. Then I tried to find my way back to the center to do the clock hands but was never able to get back as close to the center as I wanted. I kept my eyes shut throughout.

I rearranged the three attempts afterwards to fit them on the page, and made a background and borders as a fun experiment.

The blind contours were too thin. Nothing to do about it now. Sorry they don’t show up very well.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch, background, and border.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic and virtual pencil on virtual panel.

Reference located several feet away.[/color]

Pine Cone

item #4 – address

3 astronauts, 50 years ago[/color]

[FONT=”Georgia]

Happy 50th anniversary

NASA’s Apollo 11 Mission

first moon landing and first steps on another world

[/FONT]

This was Neil Armstrong’s and Buzz Aldrin’s address for 21 hours, 50 years ago today (in my time zone):

….. the Sea of Tranquility
                                                        ….. on the Moon
                                                        ….. the Solar System
                                                        ….. the Universe

This was Michael Collins’ address at the same time:

….. in orbit
                                                        ….. above the Moon
                                                        ….. the Solar System
                                                        ….. the Universe

————————–

More blind contours.

This is the headline on my print copy of Sky & Telescope magazine for July, 2019. This was a “Special Issue” that came out at the beginning of June (for July). I bought it at my local Barnes and Noble.

This link might take you to some issues (if it works). This issue shows on my iPad near the bottom at the left.

http://subscriptions.skyandtelescope.com/Sky-and-Telescope/Magazine/#covers

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch, background, and inside border.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize, outside border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic and virtual pencil on virtual panel.

Pine Cone

item #5 – beneath

sole of Merrell traction tread high tops[/color]

There’s an artist I greatly admire named Alan Bean (RIP). He incorporates boot prints, or the suggestion of boot prints, into his artwork in utterly unique ways.

I was thinking about Alan Bean today, as the time of the first step onto the Moon 50 years ago approached. The iconic and startling image of one of the astronaut’s boot prints has always taken my breath away.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/home/F_Apollo_11.html

So I decided to sketch the closest thing I have to moon boots, namely my Merrell traction treads. And I also painted in the slightest ghostly bit of a Moon-like background because I so wish I could someday walk on the Moon.

—————–

Alan Bean, the exceptional artist mentioned above, was also the Lunar Module Pilot for the Apollo 12 Mission. As such, he was the 4th man to walk on the Moon.

https://www.alanbean.com

https://www.alanbean.com/gallery2.cfm?id=2006-Is-Anyone-Out-There

For full disclosure re: minor adjustment for clarity, see the information below the sketch.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch and background.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic and virtual pastel pencil on virtual panel.

Single color adjustment made to attempt to improve visibility of treads after being degraded by the downsize.

Eye

Wow Pine Cone: You have been sketching like a storm. Cool on all, esp. the Apollo address.

EP: Clever thinking .. Love the poochie quilt piece and the analog.

I’d better get on sketching….

Ai

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.