Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters sun-thickened on may Glaze with. . .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ribera

I’ve studied for numerous yrs with a few distinguished artists who ad-
        vised the usage of stand oil in one’s medium. That’s worked out quite
        nicely, as stand’s a wonderful oil to work with, and I love to add glazes
        into my work, which stand works beautifully with, as it so full-bodied.
        Lately, though, sun-thickened’s intrigued me, and I’ve gone so far as
        to procure Rublev’s, whom I’m sure produces a fine product.
        An issue with theirs, though: it nowhere near as viscous as stand,
        and if I can’t glaze with it, that makes it unusable to me, it’s virtues
        notwithstandin’.
        With stand, I simply create a “glaze-medium” by mixin’ up my regu-
        lar medium with half the solvent. With the sun-thickened, though,
        essentially it’s already too loose. . .
        What can I do here?!!!
        r

Humbaba

You should just keep using stand oil. It would require a laboratory, and knowledge of chemistry to create artist materials at home, stand oil is made by heating linseed oil for several days at a high temperature using a superheater in the absence of oxygen, or in the presence of an inert gas in order to modify its structure.

Ribera

I certainly appreciate your Humbaba, and what stated
                has, of course, occurred to Yours Truly. I’ve seen in a
                few other places commentary which could contradict
                that.
                For example, I’ve heard one place point out there’s a
                broad range of thicknesses brand-to-brand in sun-thick-
                ened. He moreover suggested I might attempt making
                my own, which he stated “pretty easy”. . . Though, of
                course, the WC Forum a more convenient place to seek
                out knowledge might be out there beforehand. . .
                r

Humbaba

Nobody is stopping you from making your own Sun thickened linseed oil, but as I stated before, unless you have the equipment and the knowledge (which can be obtained by reading the correct sources) you could just get disappointed by the results.

Stand Oil is a flexible, tough, glossy medium created in specially made kettles using industrial lab equipment. I have no doubt that with patience you could make your own sun sickened, but keep in mind that this oil yellows, stand oil does not yellow.

Ribera

Query Re: the usage of sun-dried and stand oil concurrently:
                        As sun-dried does appear to have a few benefits I might not
                        mind accessin’, yet the difficulties which appear inherent in
                        the manufacture of sufficiently viscous sun-thickened for
                        glazin’-purposes frankly appear prohibitive, couldn’t one
                        simply employ ‘em both concurrently?!!
                        I believe sun-dried dries faster ’n stand, so couldn’t I
                        simply glaze atop that with my typical stand/OMS-glaze
                        medium? That way I could preserve the beauty I feel stand
                        oil allows, and possibly utilize some of sun-thickened’s
                        virtues.
                        Wha’ the issue?!!
                        r

Humbaba

Combining two different oils into one blend requires cooking, in a sand bath (controlled heating), or they will simply separate after you mix them. However, you could just go ahead and experiment.

Good luck

Tony11214

Sun thickened oil can be as think as the maker wants it to be. Remember, it’s just almost dried oil, and nothing more.

You may want to try another maker of sun thickened oil. Or make some yourself. Another option is to buy sun thickened oil and then thicken it even more yourself, but that would be very expensive because of waste in the process.

WFMartin

If I were already using Stand Oil effectively for glazing, I believe I’d stick with it, primarily because it is known to be one of the LEAST yellowing of the Linseed Oils, whereas Sun Thickened Linseed is generally considered to be one of the WORST, in terms of yellowing.

Since I glaze quite routinely, I’d seriously like to know how you effectively glaze with an oil as viscous as Stand Oil. I’d have a problem doing that. I suppose that when thinned with enough solvent it would be quite effective, but still, you mentioned that Sun-Thickened Oil was not viscous enough for your work, compared with your Stand Oil recipe. You must appreciate a very viscous glazing medium.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

L

Sun thickened can be made thicker with calcium carbonate but it may not be as sticky as stand oil. I like stand oil but never found a way to keep it from drying so sticky that anything in the air stuck to it, even if it was facing the wall tilted. But yeah, I think you would have to make your own sun thickened if you wanted it thicker.

Too bad stand oil takes so long to dry. But in the end, it is the drawing that will make the painting awesome, this is because when I look far back at a master work in photoshop in black and white, it still looks great. :yahoo:

Deleva

I have been looking for a qualities list of both Stand and Sun Thickened, from usage to finish.

Currently, I use Old Holland Stand oil in my medium, but I have like six bottles of STLO from Holbein that I bought at an art store close out sale. I want to use it mainly because it drys faster then Stand oil.  I thought of adding Graham Walnut Alkyd to the medium but I am not really sure if Caravaggio used it.

Any thoughts on what would be better?  Thank you so much.

Mathieu

As far as I know, sun-bodied oil is made by placing it in the sun spread out in a thin layer, and they blow air through it. And wait. In my understanding, the oil is thickened because it is partially pre-dried by exposure to oxygen, not so much because of the sun-thing? The sun adds heat which makes the process speed up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

With a little aqaurium-pump for a fishtank, you could basically do the same thing, putting the oil in a wide container and blow air through it. You could place it in the sun also. There might be other things they do to the oil, but it will thicken (and dry faster) for sure.

-- 'You just do it till you get it right'.

Tony11214

Deleva, Sun thickened oil is far better than stand oil.  It acts like a resin without the down sides of resin.  It is ideal for gazing, and has been used by master painters for far longer than modern stand oil.  I can’t think of a down side to it.  And I use it all the time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.