WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#421   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Florence

Hails from Italy
Re: Basic 101: Class1 - Drawing Basics

Sorry for the image.

Here is the correct one.

Pierluigi
  #422   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 03:57 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Welcome to the classroom, Pierluigi
You're off to a good start, well done .
Please move on to class 2

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #423   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 PM

Here's my attempt:

Lessons learnt:
had more control with diagonal and vertical lines in underhand grip, similar control for horizontal lines in both grips. overall feel more at ease with writing grip going horizontally.

Struggled with the chair because there was some perspective involved.I started with a big cube for the base and then moved on to the rest to later realized things did not line as the photo (location of the room corner, some of the wooden cross members at the bottom etc). Not sure if there is a better way without using a ruler ?

Shading is also an issues, this picture has so many levels of shading gradations that it was hard to put the well in <1hr time for me. I initially started with 2B pencil, thinking i'll only use 1 pencil, in the end I had to whip out 4H, 2H as well. I also struggle with which method to use for shading. I prefer going horizontally along the longer dimension.

#424   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:57 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, rd5rdm
The main purpose of this class is to get some experience in pencil handling. The exact result of for example the chair is of secondary importance. Acquiring pencil handling skills needs time and dedication. But you are on the right track.
Some points to pay attention:
-- don't push on the pencil, work in soft easy strokes
-- there is a strong interaction between the tooth of the paper and the hardness of the pencil: more tooth makes darker values easier but is prone to leave white specks. That can be corrected by combining several layers of different hardness.
Here you can find a detailed explanation by Ken
-- adapt your technique to the type and style of the work: irregular hatching strokes are OK in sketching. But for "finished" work either the strokes are not discernible (in imitation of photographic work) or in a nice pattern, often "logical" in sustaining the form of the object.
Nice job so far, please move on to class 2

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #425   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoud3272
Well done, rd5rdm
The main purpose of this class is to get some experience in pencil handling. The exact result of for example the chair is of secondary importance. Acquiring pencil handling skills needs time and dedication. But you are on the right track.
Some points to pay attention:
-- don't push on the pencil, work in soft easy strokes
-- there is a strong interaction between the tooth of the paper and the hardness of the pencil: more tooth makes darker values easier but is prone to leave white specks. That can be corrected by combining several layers of different hardness.
Here you can find a detailed explanation by Ken
-- adapt your technique to the type and style of the work: irregular hatching strokes are OK in sketching. But for "finished" work either the strokes are not discernible (in imitation of photographic work) or in a nice pattern, often "logical" in sustaining the form of the object.
Nice job so far, please move on to class 2

Thank you very much for your comments, really appreciate it. I will continue to pay attention as I go along.