Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil ‘Saturation’ of color in color pencil paintings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hi. Another question. I guess the word is ‘saturation’ I don’t know the proper term but my question is how ‘rich’, or ‘thick’, or ‘saturated’ are colored pencil paintings? I mean, if you did enough layers could you get it to look more like a painting rather than pencil?

I guess I still have the idea that colored pencils are like kid’s crayons and I’d like to know if this is correct or what the range of looks are in this media. I’ve been impressed with some things I’ve seen in cp and want to learn more.

Any books you all would recommend?

:)

Anna Dee

Any information you could possibly need is in the Hall of Fame – check it out! It is definitely possible to have a painterly look with pencils!

Anna Dee

Katherine T

Tommy showed us this week a website for a woman has been doing coloured pencil for a very long time. I’d guess I’d call the sort of paintings she does pretty saturated in terms of colour – and I don’t think there’s any question that they’re paintings rather than drawings.

Here’s a link to the website of Barbara Edidin[/URL]

The use of the medium is still growing. The styles it can be delivered in are being developed and refined. There is no question that CP pieces can look like ‘real paintings’ although whether that is down to saturation or not I’m not sure.

What do others think?

Katherine

BLOG: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]Making a Mark[/URL]
            SKETCHBOOK BLOG: Travels with my Sketchbook in......
            PORTFOLIO: Pastels and Pencils[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/B]
            BKWYRM

Absolutely! I like the “painterly” look and am loving using solvents to make it happen. It takes layers and layers and the right paper, but it can be done.

If you just surf around in this forum and check out the websites of folks whose work you like, I think you’ll answer the question for yourself.

The cool thing about colored pencil is that you have joy of color, and the control of pencil. A marriage made in heaven!

Kathy

My reply didn’t post so I’ll try again.
                Thank You for the Barbara Edidin link. My chin has hit the floor. I am totally amazed. This person should write a how to book. I’d like to have closer up images of her work. That is exactly what I was talking about. I can’t believe that is colored pencil. Amazing. Gotta write her a fan letter.

Thank You for the link!!

And as for ‘solvents’, would I have to use them or could I just do with a blender pencil or that rolled up paper blender thingy?

Would prismacolor pencils be allright for this effect?

Thank You
                :D

BKWYRM

I use only Prismacolor pencils. I have really bad carpal tunnel, so I don’t bother with the blender pencil. Tedious beyond belief.

I have used turpenoid and odorless mineral spirits to “melt” the wax in the colored pencils. It’s highly toxic and worries me a bit. There’s a product called Zest it, which works a treat and is non-allergenic and non-toxic to use. They are located in England. There’s also a company in Canada which sells a similar product. If you are interested, PM me and I’ll dig up the links to the websites.

Check out the Hall of Fame for recommendations for books. Go to your local big bookstore and look at any colored pencil books they have. “Colored Pencil Explorations” is a terrific book, featuring a number of different artists.

Some artists like the grain of the paper to show through, while others want to completely cover it. Both can be accomplished with color pencil. It’s all a matter of layering and mixing the color. Try it! It’s fun!

Kathy

Robin

I definitely go for the saturated effect. I hate for even one tiny speck of paper to show through. People often ask me if it’s oil paint.

My current technique is a light layer of pastel rubbed into the paper, then some heavy-ish layers of cp, burnishing with either white or a blender pencil or stick, then more cp on top. I think the paper stomp things are worthless. I burnish my dogs as soon as I can. I just never had the nerve to try the turpenoid thing, but Kathy sure does get some nice effects from it. I really should try it.

The thing with cps, there really are no rules, you can do whatever you dream up! Lately, I’ve been working more like Katherine’s style, looser, heavier, bigger. More broken color, trying to steer away from the photo. I think manipulating the photo in photoshop and then slavishly copying that manipulated photo makes my work look stiff and dead. No more teeny tiny little scrumbling of 20 layers for me. And I’ve really been enjoying it. And THAT’S my only rule!

Robin

Thank You.
                        I’ll certainly read the Hall Of Fame and such like but could I ask a question about paper? What sort of paper do you use?

This is so exciting!!

:D

Robin

I like Mi Tientes best. I like the colors. I also like the Wallis, but think I will only use that for “head shots” of dogs, not for ones with backgrounds.

Robin

BKWYRM

Check out the Hall of Fame for a discussion of paper. People seem pretty passionate about paper. Stonehenge is a real favorite, depending on where in the world you live.

My personal preference is Arches 140# hot press. I also love Fabriano Artistico hot press. But I also use Arches 260# rough press with watercolor, and then colored pencil on top.

Glenspey is using suede mat board to draw the most gorgeous dachshund! Lots of people love Canson, like Robin. Nicole (Caulfield) swears by Wallis sanded papers and Colourfix, which is also a sanded pastel paper.

So paper’s fairly personal. Fortunately, it’s (relatively) cheap, so you can try out a bunch of different types.

Kathy

Lucio

I love the Fabriano 6 (tecnico) .It has the same surface of the fabriano artistico
                                    but it is very white and it is almost indestructible.I used that paper to do the cat in my banner.
                                    Lucio

https://www.facebook.com/people/Lucio-Rubira/100008182959347

"I dream, therefore I exist."
                                    August Strindberg

Katherine T

Thank You for the link!!

Thank Tommy (brynmr).

You might also like to check out the web sites of some artists who have all written ‘how to’ books. These are:
                                        Janie Gildow http://www.janiegildow.com/ – you can see the books she’s written on her website
                                        Barbara Benedetti Newton http://www.barbaranewton.net/ try the paintings in progress page – it’s ace! On her site I think the way it works are that the still life is coloured pencil and the landscapes are pastel.
                                        Bet Borgeson http://www.borgesonstudio.com/ This site contains a student gallery and references to the books she has written on CP
                                        Ann Kullberg http://prtraits.com/kullberg/kullberg.htm for her portrait work and references to the books on CP that she has written. This site provides a starting point for a trip around the coloured pencil artists webring http://r.webring.com/hub?ring=colpencil The annkullberg.com site has a lot of resources and provides links to a gallery of paintings by coloured pencil artists a number of whom frequent this site and http://www.annkullberg.com/theme04/ and another set of links to CP artists sites

Please review all the notices on the above sites relating to copyright.

Lucio – I’ve not come across the ‘tecnico’ before – what’s the difference between that and the ‘artistico’?

Katherine

BLOG: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]Making a Mark[/URL]
                                        SKETCHBOOK BLOG: Travels with my Sketchbook in......
                                        PORTFOLIO: Pastels and Pencils[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/B]
                                        JustjoGA

For colored pencil paintings that look like paintings, why has no one told
                                            this person to READ ARLENE’S THREADS AND POSTS… She is THE best colored pencil artist I have ever seen… Her advice also would be READ THE HALL OF FAME THREADS!! Nearly all you want/need to know is there… colors, brands, paper, techniques, how-to’s, demos, WIP’s…

Jo in Georgia

I am an artist; I want to be a better one.
                                            "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."

Lucio

[B]Lucio [/B]– I’ve not come across the ‘tecnico’ before – what’s the difference between that and the ‘artistico’?

Katherine

Hi Katherine!
                                                The Fabriano 6 tecnico is not a watercolor paper It was made for use of grafite
                                                pen, ink and airbrush but it is much more resistant to erasing, to masking tape( even the hardest can´t cause damage to its surface)and you can use a blade on it without problems.
                                                It is very white and the right side is as smooth as a plate ( hot press) surface,
                                                but the reverse( wonderful for colored pencil) side has the same texture of the Fabriano artistico ( but a little
                                                harder than it). I Think you can easily find it in sheets or in pads ( 20 sheets, 240 grms) in your next trip to Italy. :wave:
                                                Lucio

https://www.facebook.com/people/Lucio-Rubira/100008182959347

"I dream, therefore I exist."
                                                August Strindberg

wet

I believe a few have mentioned the HOF. I think sometimes new ppl just want to connect and visit with others. Most of the still life wip in the hof are Arlenes and YES they are amazing. The threads are also invaluble and very instructional. Especialy for underpainting with complements. But it is always wonderful when new artists steer us to new web sites of artists we were not aware of. Wannamakestuff just stick around and and follow some ongoing threads along with the hof and you will be addicted to cps in no time!! ;) :evil: :wave: wanda

"I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper." Steve Martin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘‘Saturation’ of color in color pencil paintings’ is closed to new replies.