Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum Anne’s Plaid Bead Tutorial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Ok, for those of you asking about how I do my plaids, I’ve made up a little tutorial for ya!
    #1 Make a base bead (usually white) and add a fairly thick straight stringer of transparent color around the center.

I then use a thin stringer of an opaque colors on top of the fat trasparent and go around the center.

I then place in 4 (or 6 if you put the lines together close) going from hole-to-hole in 4 equal spaces around the bead. I use either opaque or transparent.

I then go around the bead on each side of the 1st large line around the center of the bead with thin stringer in either transparent or opaque.

I usually use 2 opaques and 2 transparents or really whatever would look good! This is an excellent practice for stringer control!! Trust me!! Here’s an example of some recent plaids I did. As you can see there are endless color combos that you can play with!

Hope this helps out!!

editted for photo upload correction

springdream

Your plaid beads are so cool! Thanks for posting this!! I hope to see all the pics soon so that I can tell.

Leah Nelson

Thank you so much for the tutorial, Anne! I think I’ll try your plaids this weekend!

You’re super!

tluvs2create

Anne
                I LOVE your plaids. I’ve tried a few myself — of course they don’t look as good as yours. I think the 3 P’s are definetly a part of the mix. Stringer control of course is key and getting the right thicknesses of stringer in the right locations (not as easy as you make is sound) LOL:p :( Any tips on starting and finishing off the stringers when you go hole to hole? That seems to be my biggest problem.
                Thanks so much for sharing.:)
                Tricia

Tricia
                [FONT="Arial Black"]See my new website at www.beadsbytlc.com

When I do the hole-to-hole lines I heat up the bead at the hole just enough for the stringer to stick and then go across to the other hole and melt off. I use a small carving tool with a flat end to pat down the ends of the stringers but you would use a pick or graphite tool, anything that can tuck down the ends. Does this make sense?

candygrrl

Hey Anne,

Are you melting in the stringer between each step or no? If I missed this or am a doofus for asking, sorry in advance!

My Website!
                    No More Ebay for Me!

Candace

I've been called many names like perfectionist, difficult and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details, for any artist to be good. - Barbra Streisand

The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."
                    - Charles M. Schwab

bizymomy4

I love your plaid beads!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!
                        Beth

tluvs2create

Yes, Anne that does make sense. That is what I’ve been doing but I still need practice to clean it up a bit.
                            Thanks again
                            Trish

Tricia
                            [FONT="Arial Black"]See my new website at www.beadsbytlc.com

JoyceMI

Thanks for the tutorial Ann. I have tried these before without success. Will have to give them another try.

Even though I thought I was using thin stringers they still were not thin enough. Are you melting in the lines after each of the steps? Just wondering if it makes a difference.

Jinx.Garza

Excellent tutorial, Anne! Your plaids are so cool.

Jinx

p.s. Let’s rate this thread everyone.

I’m sorry everyone!! This tutorial had me so flustered!! Yes you melt in the stripes after each step!! Sorry I didn’t say that!! I do that alot!! :rolleyes: David just looks at me like “huh”? He’s supposed to know what I’m saying right?? LOL!!

ValorieCox

Excellent Anne, Thank you for sharing the secrets of your classic plaid bead! 5 stars!

Val

New Frit blends March 2018[/URL]

dread

Thanks for the tutorial – I am going to give it a try tonight and hopefully have something to post for tomorrows show and tell.

These look like fun !

Deborah Read http://www.deborahread.com Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

[FONT=Century Gothic]"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa

donner

thanks for writing up this tutorial, Anne! very nice job…

[font=clarence]donner[/font]
                                                [font=clarence]
                                                blackberrybeads on eBay
                                                [/font]

[font=clarence]My Frit Testing [/font]

[/url]

xoticbead

Oh Anne
                                                    I have drooled over your beads forever. I have bid on a few of your sets ( never sucessfully) now I can give it a try myself. That is if I can ever get away from this computer lol,lol Thank for this helpfull info

Liz :clap: :clap: :clap:

MY E-BAY JUSTBEADS
                                                    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not what you would call unrefined, She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot".( Or two, or three, or more)...Mark Twain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Anne’s Plaid Bead Tutorial’ is closed to new replies.