WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#436   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Re: The recent painting that you like.

I've never been overly fond of still life painting... but I quite like the work of Eric Wert. His paintings build upon the "vanitas" paintings of the Dutch Baroque... embracing at once the unabashed sensual beauty of fruit, flowers, and vegetables as well as hinting at their ultimate demise... mortality. Wert captures both beauty and its darker underside in his paintings; life and death are shown in their natural cycle.

Stylistically, his work falls close to hyperrealism... but he avoids the usual subdued colors of the tonal approach to painting common among realists. The brilliant saturated colors recall Bonnard, Pop Art, and hyperrealists Audrey Flack and Janet Fish.

#437   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 AM

I absloutley LOVE your work John it is very exciting for the eye the eye is moved all about every which way a real story for the eye your mark making are very unique and you have a keen eye for use of color also ...realy like so I would say this is a painting i have seen recently that i like At moment I am experimenting have no idea how it will turn out but am bored of traditional oils acrylics sprays pencils etc etc and recently got my mojo back with art by simply useing mediums not realy used for the purposes intended and mixing etc but is very interesting hopefull will post one day
  #438   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Charles Emery Ross
  #439   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

A slightly quirky piece by David Hockney:

#440   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Never been the biggest fan of Magritte's, but I rather like this strangely ominous, science fiction-looking thing:

René Magritte - Voice of Space [1931] Oil on canvas, 73 x 54 cm
  #441   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

From right here on WC, in the acrylics forum, francjs, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1470205
  #442   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I've stumbled upon a few works lately that I quite like:

This Japanese ceramic vase with Bosch-like anthropomorphic insects and reptiles is quite stunning.

This Victorian-era Portrait of Marguerite Kelsey by Alan Beeton is also quite lovely. The fabrics are especially wonderful.

I've never been overly fond of landscapes of the American West... but this painting by Brett Allan Johnson that popped up on one of my Art feeds today is surely an exception.

#443   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Immortalized

Those Eric Wert paintings are absolutely lush, stunning stuff

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #444   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I quite like almost all of this fellow's paintings -- Pino Daeni

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #445   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I just stumbled upon the paintings of Karel du Jardin (b.1622-d.1676). Du Jardin was a Dutch painter, born in Amsterdam although his paintings show the influence of Italian, French, and Flemish painting. He painted landscapes and religious narrative paintings... but his strongest work was found among his portraits. When I first stumbled upon this painting on my Instagram feed from the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, I thought for a second that it was a portrait by Frans Hals:

Like Hals... or the Flemish Rubens, Van Dyck, and Jacob Jordaens... Du Jardin employs a masterful ala prima brushwork that makes the paintings look fresh... and almost "just painted".

#446   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2019, 04:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: The recent painting that you like.

Pompeo Batoni (1708-1787) painted one of the most exquisite paintings IMO by a "forgotten artist":

I've posted this painting, Purity of Heart, several times.

Today, I stumbled upon another delicious painting by Batoni on my Instagram feed from the Gemäldegalerie, Berlin:

The painting, The Marriage of Cupid and Psyche, is quite fine... but I was almost more intrigued by the second image... a detail from the painting.
  #447   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:24 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Now and then I run into a painting by an obscure figure, that for some reason really speaks to me. This is an example:

David Vinckboons - Hurdy-Gurdy Player Surrounded by Village Children [1606] oil on panel 43 x 74 cm.

A good resolution reproduction can be seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gandal...67413/sizes/o/

I find it wonderfully atmospheric, and I love the way the bagpipe player has been painted. (The work is strangely titled: that's not a hurdy-gurdy!).