Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Prevent marker inks bleeding together?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bookat

Hey! I’m doing some colour blocking, where I create a line drawing, and fill in the shapes (using coloured Windsor & Newton Promarkers). Every fineliner I have tried smears once I start colouring in with the promarkers. Should I be using a certain type of paper? I hate how thin marker paper is…so I’ve been using mixed-media paper. But it smudges too much.

Anonymous

This is a suprisingly complex question & finding the definitive answer could be expensive ! but I do know that it is possible – I’ve seen it done.
            I am not sure of the answer to be sure as I don’t use these pens !

However help is at hand however , Go to Jet pens & read this https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-fineliners/pt/423 at the top of the page there is a “guides” button – pointing at that click on markers & felt pens & or multi surface fine liner etc. with a bit digging around you should find your ideal combination of fine liner & paper to suit you.
            If you get stuck – there is a contact us at the bottom left of the page.
            I have used this company for hard to source hard to get stuff in the UK. & can recommend their service personally.
            Mike

contumacious

Hey! I’m doing some colour blocking, where I create a line drawing, and fill in the shapes (using coloured Windsor & Newton Promarkers). Every fineliner I have tried smears once I start colouring in with the promarkers. Should I be using a certain type of paper? I hate how thin marker paper is…so I’ve been using mixed-media paper. But it smudges too much.

What exactly are you using for your line work? The Winsor & Newton ProMarkers are filled with an alcohol based ink, so if you want black lines that won’t bleed you will need an ink that is not impacted by alcohol.

I tested my two favorite black inks with alcohol – Sailor Kiwa Guro carbon black and Dr Ph Martin’s Bombay ink. The Kiwa Guro was not touched by the alcohol on a piece of illustration board. The Bombay did bleed, which was not unexpected. I don’t know how lightfast these are, but the Pilot Precise V7 and V5 blacks were not impacted by the alcohol.

The W&N markers are similar to Copic Markers – alcohol based. This page gives several examples of markers and pens that don’t bleed with the Copic Markers, so they are likely to also work with the W&N ProMarkers.

https://www.copicmarker.com/blogs/copic/what-pens-to-use-with-copic-markers

Anonymous

Yep you are dead right, the fundamental basic problem is that the fine liner will have to to be water based but it is not the only problem.
                    The fine liner will have to lay down a strong & heavily pigmented line & be “happy” (adhere & be opauque) on top of the promarker.
                    Many fine liners lay down rather thin line especially when they are not brand new & most are alcohol based so will bleed.
                    Definitely the solution will be water based but which one ?

Mike
                    PS. have you seen this ? http://blog.pullingers.com/how-to-use-letraset-promarkers/

Easiest way to go around the problem is not use a fineliner but a crowquill with Indian/China ink. After they dry they are resilient enough to polar solvents like water and alcohool.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Triduana

I use Faber Castell Pitt pens with Promarkers on marker paper, and have experienced no smearing.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

I tend to test all my pens and papers before I start each work. I prefer copic fine liners except for the price I keep paying for nibs that disappear. I’ve found inks that are not light fast ‘enough” and so papers that are good with some colors or inks and some that allow bleeding, smearing, and, I don’t have a word for it, it allows the ink to flow off in little lines.

All my works are “different” using different media, colors, overlays, so I test everything each time before I start. I tell myself I’m going to make notes and remember exactly what I like/dislike about each media but either I lose my notes, I decide to experiment, or I get lazy.

My favorite ink to use had initially been that which came with the Art Pen I cannot even remember right now (aha! Rotring!) but then I realized how badly it ran when wet. But then I decided I loved that look when used on WC paper.

I think I have given up on markers…… I have spent a fortune on them and have not found one with colors, nibs, heft, and light/colorfastness. When clients insist on color I’ll pull out the acrylics and make a mess.

Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                        -Helen Keller
                        The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

I tend to test all my pens and papers before I start each work. I prefer copic fine liners except for the price I keep paying for nibs that disappear. I’ve found inks that are not light fast ‘enough” and so papers that are good with some colors or inks and some that allow bleeding, smearing, and, I don’t have a word for it, it allows the ink to flow off in little lines.

All my works are “different” using different media, colors, overlays, so I test everything each time before I start. I tell myself I’m going to make notes and remember exactly what I like/dislike about each media but either I lose my notes, I decide to experiment, or I get lazy.

My favorite ink to use had initially been that which came with the Art Pen I cannot even remember right now (aha! Rotring!) but then I realized how badly it ran when wet. But then I decided I loved that look when used on WC paper.

I think I have given up on markers…… I have spent a fortune on them and have not found one with colors, nibs, heft, and light/colorfastness. When clients insist on color I’ll pull out the acrylics and make a mess.

Sheila

Markers will not be of good lightfast.. that is their nature. The not bleeding with black ink problem I already gave you a solution that works ( I do it myself so I know it works) dip pen with proper indian/china ink. The extra advantage is that those are much more resilient than other black inks (since the coat is THICK so its is physically resistant to sunlight)

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Markers will not be of good lightfast.. that is their nature. The not bleeding with black ink problem I already gave you a solution that works ( I do it myself so I know it works) dip pen with proper indian/china ink. The extra advantage is that those are much more resilient than other black inks (since the coat is THICK so its is physically resistant to sunlight)

Thing is, I use very, very fine lines and thick, light fast inks do not flow well down fine nibs. I have found part of the joy in creating a work is find the way to incorporate new tools, new inks, and some hope that all will come out well.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I have found Zebra pens to be quite good. I find them individually on Amazon but much of the label is in Japanese and it’s been 30 years since I could read that language. I do like the nibs and they come in quite a variety.
                        Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                        -Helen Keller
                        The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.