Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Legal Corner Signature on Artwork

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    ceceliaml

:wave: Hi all! I’m a newbie and need some advice and opinions on what is the proper way to sign a painting. I recently read an artists blog that said using only your first name is a no-no and infers informality. Great :( ! I’ve exhausted a lot of time perfecting a nice script style writing for my first name only because I think my full name is too long. Is this really not an acceptable method?

keenart

You should go with what you like.

I have used my full three name title and at other times I just use the copyright symbol and first initial with last name.

Some are so sensative about this issue they sign the back. Problem is this is your signature, your advertising. Do you really want your paintings to go unknown? Think about how many other artists are out there with your last name, who’s goning to know who’s who? And, lastly your name could be the reason someone buys your work.

Sign-it until everyone knows who you are by your painterly style.

Jan

DesertDarlene

I used to sign my first and last name and the full date. Now, I just sign my first initial and last name with a month and year because people were saying that the signature was detracting from the painting. You could also do what the other person said and sign the back, but someone told me, once, that they didn’t consider that a real signature. It seems like you can’t please everyone on this issue.

Welcome to the Desert

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
                Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0

You can sign however you like, but keep in mind that some competitions want signed work meaning that they can see some sort of signature on the front.

I signed with my initials, then on the back where the canvas wraps around put copyright, my name in full, title, and signature (initials) again.

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

ceceliaml

Thanks eveyone for your comments and ideas, they are all very helpful! I like the thought of having my painterly style recognized… indeed that is the goal.
                    DesertDarlene, your images are lovely, I enjoyed looking at them.
                    I look forward to chatting with you all again soon.

Mark Sheeky

The reason a first name is not recommended is normally simple; when someone sees a painting they like they look to see who painted it. For me a signature should be at least readable and contain enough information so that someone can track down the artist.

If your name is too long perhaps you could use a different name for yourself? Picasso chose his mother’s name (now his full name was long)!

Mark

Twitter: @marksheeky

RCharleston

I think if you’ve got a distinctive style, it’s okay…possibly even advantageous to sign the back of work. However, Whenever you’ve got, say, 150 oil paintings by different painters at an outdoor art fair that are all done seeking optical reality in lieu of expressive elements, it probably makes good marketing sense to sign it prettily-as-possible…

Dallen

Art snobbery here perhaps, but, you can always tell it is an amateur painting, if it says something like “by Kathy”. First names are for children, servants and Jr. High students. There is no status in buying or hanging a painting “by Kathy”

If your last name is very long, stylize your signature to shorten it, just be consistent.

If your name is common, give yourself an unusual middle initial and signature.

If your last name is very unusual, just use that if you like.

First Initial and last name is often a fine signature.

Never, Never, Never use the word “by”

My persional prefference is to include the year only, and month and year on pencil sketches, and a ©.

Dallen

"It feels like snow" he said, "and it was all there, all the sadness and all silveryness in a single sentence." ~ George Frazier

Merlion

Good advice Dallen. Thanks.

I have been using the format of first initial and last name.

Lettersalad

I’m signing just the way I’d sign a contract.

Salad

C&C always welcomed - no native speaker, so please help me improve
                                        married, single parent
                                        http://www.Portraitfee.de/

Nakiska

Oh great, I didn’t know you shouldn’t sign your work with just your first name… cause my current last name is soo long and no one can say it correctly anyway…and due to a long time ago divorce and now a new marriage my last name is going to be changing in the near future…I’ve chose to sign all my stuff with just my first name only, not knowing back then that I was going to go through a divorce and now I’m getting married again in the near future, so my last name will change….this time, for the last time. :)

Lettersalad

So get a nice alias you can keep even after the next divorce. ;) How about nakiska?

Salad

C&C always welcomed - no native speaker, so please help me improve
                                                married, single parent
                                                http://www.Portraitfee.de/

Robin

I dislike signing the front. I’ve noticed in recent shows I’ve been to that many young professionals are signing in the back, only. So I am, too.

Robin

DarlingArt

I have always signed my signature first and last name, which was ok in graphite or coloured pencil as its easy to write neatly and keep it easy to read for recognition purposes but small and not overwhelming.

Now that I am painting, first and last name is way too long and I just can’t paint it small and neat so I have been debating what to do.

Now remember I have already been thinking of what to do, and was considering just signing first initial and sirname.

Now don’t laugh, but this came up on another forum and while my birthname is lucky, my first and last name is not, whereas my initial and sirname is lucky.

http://www.indiaparenting.com/funtime/naminggame/index.shtml

I investigated it a bit further and found these two sites with further explanations of the numbers and decided that the lucky number ‘1’ has the attributes that I want to display/develop/encourage in my career as an artist (which is changing now that I am pursueing licensing of my work.

http://www.wertzateria.com/monster/numerology.html

My name calculated the same as that first link. ps. put your sunglasses on first;)

Heres another one that explains your name number well (and the importance of your birth name)

http://www.paulsadowski.com/Numbers.asp

Remember, I said don’t laugh! While I am a bit superstitious and do believe in numerology (helps that I am happy to just use my initial and sirname), if nothing else, it is a bit of fun:)

And I still come up on the first page of google on my signature alone, so people can still find me.

Antonia1972

I have been signing all my works with just my first name for about 20years now, sometimes with the last 2 digits of the year. I personally think you can sign it any way you like, as long as it is consistant. On the back of the paintings you can write your full name, title, date and whatever else you want to add.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.