WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
A Local Legend
El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Hails from United States
Re: Landscape Composition Rules

yeah, me too... just beginning to think of doing landscapes and would really love to read this article.

geo.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhonegger
I have searched this entire thread and somehow have not been able to find the article that everyone is raving about. Back in 2003 when it was first posted, the link no longer works. Can someone please tell me where I can go to find the article? Or is it no longer available in an article and is now a book, as I've seen referenced?

Diane

okay folks...
every forum has a Channel...and if you look above each Wetcanvas page there is a place to scroll thru the channels.

the landscape "channel" has articles, as does the Composition forum...and this was an article written on the Landscape rules...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/

if you do not bookmark this...again, just look in the channel...
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Fredericksburg TX

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for all of this, I cannot tell you how much it will help me! I have bookmarked it and hope it is never taken off! Edyth in Texas
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

#80   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Whitehouse Station, NJ

Hails from United States

Thank you for doing a very good job of defining the technical aspects of landscape painting, but painters should also be aware that these tech tips should used to help convey the painter's idea (concept). The idea must come first, and composition is a tool used to help convey the idea to the viewer. The quality of a work is determined by the importance of the idea relative to today's social attitudes and how well the artist has brought his idea to the viewer.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by karard
The quality of a work is determined by the importance of the idea relative to today's social attitudes and how well the artist has brought his idea to the viewer.

I'd agree with most of what you said, but...if our relavant social times and mores slips arguably into modes of mediocrity ...I guess I'd argue how important this determinant would be. In which case, I'd rather produce a work that would have found approval from past artists I admired and would prefer as mentors, past ideas of excellence and mores, and so forth.

Whenever an "ought" is suggested...which you have here, I have to ask myself why ought the ought ought to be? What ultimately makes a right right and a wrong wrong?

We have at best an example to better understand your mores...but they wouldn't succeed to define an essential ought for everyone's sense of that which should be ideal composition.

Not to argue...as I said I agree with most of what you have said, but if we're not careful...there is a tone of insistence with the wording as you have it that has not the authority to shackle or bind. Gives us an interesting premise to perhaps study your work and the works of those you might admire.

It may well be we don't believe the vast enculturation of the modern possesses the taste we wish to have our work judged by. Its not always a bad thing to be outdated or passe´...in fact, I'm motivated to imagine I'd have an occasional nod from Edgar Payne or Emile Gruppe...

peace
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 AM

Thank you Johannes. Tremendous help.
Everyone, instead of finding ways to reformat and print it . . how about an old fashioned pencil and paper. You will ponder and retain the information ten fold.
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Landscape Composition Rules

Hi, Folks very exciting discussion, it really "hits home". I also have read and studied Johannes article and have added to my library, thank you Johannes. All I have learned so far about composition and painting of Landscapes has been by studying these books:
1. COMPOSITION OF OUTDOOR PAINTING by Edgar Payne
2. CARLSON'S GUIDE TO LANDSCAPE PAINTING by John Carlson
3. OIL PAINTING SOLUTION BOOK FOR LANDSCAPES by Elizabeth Tooley
4. DISCOVERING OIL PAINTING by George Chevepov
5. LANDSCAPE IN WATERCOLOR by Wendon Blake
6. KEYS TO SUCCESSFUL LANDSCAPE PAINTING by Foster Cadell
7. KEYS TO SUCCESSFUL COLOR by Foster Cadell
8. PAINTING THE IMPRESSIONIST LANDSCAPE by Lois Griffel
9. PAINTING BETTER LANDSCAPES by Margaret Kessler
10. PAINTING LANDSCAPES by Harry R. Ballinger
11. TREES AND LANDSCAPES by Ted Kautzky
I'm sure that they will help the beginner as well as the advanced painter.
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Wonderful, informative article.
Anita
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM

These were wonderful guidelines. I have read so much from famous painters about how nature must be your guide and your constant study, but I can see more clearly now that sometimes nature does not give us the most beautiful thing after all. It tantalizes us, i guess, occassional fabulou composition and many many near misses. God is fortunate to have a huge canvas and light emitting shapes in his landscapes. Sound, wind, all of that that we don't have, so we have to create a beautiful scene everytime, not just some of the time. Thanks so much. A.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
CT

Hails from United States
Wink Re: Landscape Composition Rules

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The time and work you put into this wonderful tutorial are greatly appreciated. I did a copy/paste to a word document of all your 39 points, so I can keep them in my studio.
Again, thank you for sharing .
Happy Painting!
Ciao, Pam
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Arrow Re: Landscape Composition Rules

A very big thank you for sharing your knowledge, all the things I thought I knew and often forgot to apply. Next time I get stuck with the feeling "not quite right", I can go straight to your pages.
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Washington

Hails from United States

I love this article!!! Got it saved for future reference. Thank you
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
SC

Hails from United States

There is an embarrassment of riches here. I also photograph, and was struck by how many of these principles work in photography as well. In painting, one can bend a tree or put a curve in a stream. In photography, one must walk around so that the camera captures a compositionally strong scene.
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 AM

I've finished Page 16, and I could not tear loose before now to post. I've been painting for a long time and have always been dissatisfied with my end result. I already see what my problems have been. My work will improve leaps and bounds now, thank you very much. I'm enthused about reading from Page 17 on.