WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 10:59 PM
California

Hails from United States
With a Thorn

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: With a Tho<br>
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor Pencil
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I intended to create something a bit more abstract, but it ended up being only partially so.

The story is the mermaid bringing down something from the terrestrial world and paying with blood.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How are the shadows and lights? I tried to make dark shadows but am not sure if I need to go darker.

Does the twisting body look confusing? You see the unde<br>eath of the tailfin at one end and the back of the head at the other.

Is the separation of hair/face clear enough?

Any c & c is appreciated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: With a Thorn

the image was showing the [yellow] sky on the left edge so i flipped it to be on the top.

so, she's diving/falling back into the water with a rose, right, she's not actually back in the water, correct? i'd be very tempted to add her reflection on the water to help show that. or perhaps she's still too far above the water for a reflection to show? in which case, would she be paying in blood, yet?

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM
California

Hails from United States

Hi la - thanks for flipping it right side up.

I failed with the style. I intended to be abstract - so the water/sky are abstract. She is actually supposed to be underwater already. I don't see how I can salvage that part to make it more realistic.

She's swimming down, escaping, and turning to look back up, where she came from. I'm wondering if I should lighten the sky and keep the deeper yellows right in the spot she's looking at.

I've been looking at this so long and any input will help.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

oh, well then, i think you'll need to let some water streak across her, envelope her - she's too crisp and she's moving, which means the water is moving around her. ... you could also streak some light lines coming down through the water, towards her from the surface ... fill your kitchen sink, move your hand around in the water and watch how it moves as it follows your hand, it's cool.

i found this super minimal, simple, subtle example to give you a glimmer of what i mean, but there's lots of examples if you google it

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 PM
California

Hails from United States
Smile Re: With a Thorn

I totally see what you're saying. I agree - movement in the water and immersion in it would have improved this piece immensely.

Ok - I'm moving on to oil pastels and will do another mermaid keeping these things in mind. Pastels are so much more forgiving than watercolors when it comes to correcting large areas.

I appreciate your input - nothing like an artist's eye to see what you can't see right in front of you.

Thank you!