WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Elizabeth, Southern California,

Hails from United States
Re: Painting&Drawing from life...Props of the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weile
ah. that is a 'nice' way of telling me that i 'haven't learned the rules' yet. i know I could learn them better - that's what art college will do for me - but i think i have them down well enough to do beyond the very basic sort of thing.. I'm learing those same things being taught here but not in such a ridged way.. but anyway.. why do you say 'influenced by picasso?' the picture you're referring to is pretty much naturalistic except for the colors. I like Picasso, and there probably is some influence there in the line quality, style, colors... but I dont know why you are saying that I'm trying to do some sort of Picasso thing without ever having gained a solid understanding of realism first. ... you say it as if I didn't know I shouldn't just go into semi-abstaction before learning basics. again, I am learning basics, in a predominantly classical way, really - models and observation and such - just not with diagrams. I don't see why they're necessary, is all. but like you said .. certain artists are not meant for certain approaches.

I am 15 and I am enjoying this whole thread. While it is way above my level, I still find it interesting to see how the most experienced artists such as Terry work. Its your opinion that you think these techniques(sp?) are "over the top". For you and me both we cannot make full sense of this thread only because (at least I'll admit) I am not at this level of art education. If you lean more towards Picasso thats fine. You have your own style. I respect that to the fullest. But, this is not a "abstract" artist posting. So her style will be totally different. Thanks Terry, I find this very interesting.

Last edited by NBrockman : 05-14-2004 at 12:33 PM.
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2004, 02:48 AM

Hails from United States

Greetings Nick! you are quite welcome!---And i am very pleased at your interest in this thread, and Art in general.You remind me of MYSELF, when i was a 15 year old, young man that wanted to learn ALL I COULD, about Art!In fact, It was at this very age that I first started private Art lessons w/my Instructor thats mentioned in this thread.and I was like you, because I was wise enough at that age to know that ----i did'nt know it all.I knew that this much older man, possessed powers&secrets.......that I needed!And I grew to like him.And i always respected him.After 3-years of training with him, He said that i was his best student, and offered to teach, and PARTNER with me, in the actual money-making part! (of course i accepted!) what this meant, was that we co-opted, and approached the prospect of getting business together, and He would do the really tough commisions, and i would do the lesser ones.(Babys, pets, teen-agers, etc.) Of course He made the lion's share of the profits, but I got some good experience, in the business side of it.You are ON THE RIGHT TRACK.Keep at it.Never stop.Years fly by Nick, before you know it, you will be 18, and when you look at your Art THEN, and compare it TO NOW, .......you will see DRAMATIC RESULTS!!! Before you know it, you will wake up one day, and realize...." Gee!......I'm a Professional!"
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2004, 04:49 AM

Hails from United States

And By the way, Nick, I saw your R.Lee Ermy portrait, and you have real Talent for someone your age! (I am a fan of his mail call show!)....So thats why i say stick with it.I can look at a young person's work, and know if they are" Diamonds in the rough." I also noticed that you may join the service one day!., This is great.Its good to see young people love their country, and be so responsible, at such a young age.They have combat illustrators in there as well.Keith Birdsong, a well known Illustrator(Most noted for his realistic STAR-TREK, book covers.), served in this capacity, in the service.Of course, alot can happen between now&then, and you may choose other ways for your Art.In whatever your life choices are, if you plan on making art a career,My advice is to IN ADDITION, to your art training, as soon as possible, start studying MARKETING as well. Too many Artists, end up mastering art....only to find that they dont know a thing about marketing!!!(This is the MAJOR reason of the "starving Artist" MYTH.) Always remember, as a artist--you are creating a PRODUCT. what good is it, to create a MASTERPIECE product......only to then not know how to sell it? So then, The Artist that wants to make a living at it, MUST, have their Marketing skills AT THE SAME LEVEL, AS THEIR ART SKILLS.
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2004, 09:05 PM

Hails from United States

Hello everyone, the reason i am writing this is to clarify somethings.People say,....TRUTH, first, it is violently opposed,---then, after awhile,---It is accepted as self-evident.I agree w/this.Artists often wonder why some of their favorite artists, Published Artists, And Art book writers.....seem distant.they see them at conventions, get their autographs, ask for a critique...etc., ....But thats about it.The same is true with Actors.You see them on the big-screen, read interviews, but you can only KNOW THEM, so much.There is a gulf, between them, and you.Certain pastors are trained this in leadership seminary, To always after the sermon, to then go away through the back door.Keep THE INTERACTION to a minimum.Why is this taught? ....because of the first adage. Wc is like a collection of INTERACTIVE ART KNOWLEDGE BOOKS.But unlike your regular art books........these books TALK BACK! If you have a question, you can interact with the author.But there is , sadly, also a danger in this approach.And that is, it violates the adage that Pastors are taught.(The violently opposed truth.) you put yourself at risk of "enemy fire". I thought, that i could overcome this truism, by suggesting a fix in the system, that would help overcome this.ALSO, I thought that people would like seeing a cover treatment one day.(This was the motivating factor.) ---i thought that the Pastor law of separation....could be overcome.But i am thinking now, perhaps i was too ambitious.So i will leave it at this,...... I will return ONE DAY , to see if any changes have taken place (the self-evident part), if so, i will share some covers.Thanks, Very sincerely, ----Terry
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2004, 10:29 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

First, I want to say that this thread is a very valuable one. Let's keep it that way. Take personal snipping, arguments, and other such issues OFFLINE, and out of this thread (and for that matter, the forum in general).

With regard to the stars - it isn't broken, and thus, doesn't need fixing. The stars are a rolling average of all votes. If one person votes a "5", then its a 5. If another person comes along and votes a "1", then the average will drop. Its just an average, folks. Move on... hardly worth discussing.
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM
near Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

Well, sorry about the .. cursing, that was immature. About the rest, I didn't think you'd all get so mad (well, maybe I did, but message boards are deceiving because they seem less real, and it feels as if for once you can say what you think...) I know I don't understand things, but I would still defend what I said. But yes, I should have kept my mouth shut about it. And I'm 17, not 16 or 15, but it doesn't make any difference - still an infant to you, right? there are certain times when i wish i sould skip foreward to age 30. man, i have to get out of here.
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Lake Elizabeth, Southern California,

Hails from United States

Wow Terry thanks for the 2 posts of encouregment (sp). I was surprised to hear that you have looked me up and everything just from my 2 cents I added to this thread that I probably shouldn't have in the first place. :-p
You must have been good w/ your private instructor as partners, apprentice. I would take an offer like that in a heartbeat too. lol

Thnaks again for the kind your kind comments.