WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #614: Dec 15 - Dec 23

Joan - like the reflections in the puddle, Somehow I thought you would do the ocean for puddle. The Great Dane is great but I keep looking at the brown spaniel (?) The shading is so perfect to show the both shape and texture

Individuo - I have read a few times about mixing graphite and carbon but this is my first go at it. The radiator is great.Not dizzy yet but there is definitely movement!

Jo - Nice job on the mailbox, wreath, and flagpole but where is the flag? A splash of color always looks good. Local steak house has large black and white photos on the walls and each has some red much like your sketch.

Pine Cone - tips as you get back into art (which moves me greatly). With pencil you use the hart pointy end. With brushes you use the soft end. Hope that helps some. Scales is so cool especially with the star story to go with it.
The scale pun in this line cracked me….

Note:*Not even remotely*close*to scale (so to speak)*

Ai - Thank you once more for a beautiful peek into Thai culture. Your choice for hanging made me laugh. You stopped telling us which ones are direct. A technique which fascinates me. I rely heavily on my erasers.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ai — I used to wish that I could visit your country and regret that it would never happen. But I've realized for a long time now that seeing your sketches is better than a plane ticket and a tour because you take us to many places that matter to you, many that we would never see on a tourist tour, and it seems so much more personal. Thanks for your vivid and fresh sketches of your land and people and friends ☀️

Joe Thanks so much I've been smiling at your comments all day 😂 which is a good thing to be doing on a solstice day 🌞

Everyone — I hope you had, or are having, a great solstice day ☀️ 😃

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

Last edited by Pine Cone : 12-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

5 - feather. This pipe hangs beside the rattle in our guest room. I do not have the skills yet to make this pastel as realistic as with graphite but it is baby steps. CarbOthello pencils on rough side f Mi-Teintes paper. Mistakenly thought rough or textured side would help.

Pine Cone - just read your post on the jar. So here is another NA themed pastel. Think of it this way. I do live in the Southwest. Southwest Florida.

Happy Solstice!

Keep sketching
Joe
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Hails from Spain

Thanks everyone, I am relieved that none of you felt dizzy for seeing the radiator sketch, although Joe was close. I was not speaking figuratively, while I was doing the front face of the radiator I began to feel dizzy. And since then I feel dizzy whenever I look at it. So finishing it was not a cheerful experience, and taking a picture of it was about the same. It was quite annoying.

Joan T, Wow (as dogs bark in Spanish, "guau")! I would have thought they were sketched from real dogs if not for the one on the pedestal. They look alive! Great job!

Pine Cone, very creative choice and sketch! What a joyful sky! You are a star regarding colors, your choices always add a lot to the picture. I like the background too. At first glance I didn't notice the tiny white stars but after a while it began to work beautifully. Your comments about stars made me look a few things up. Interesting, thanks.

Ai, .
- Your food sketches are always a treat.
- The sketch of the sketcher may be my favorite, although it is very difficult to pick just one. Was he sketching you?
- Nice view from the rooftop. I love your sky.
- I didn't see that "hanging" coming . Very creative choice and wonderful sketch!
- In the last one you captured the mood perfectly.
And as Joe and Pine Cone said, thank you for showing us your country.

Joe, there is a pencil- Staedtler Mars Lumograph 7B and 8B- that is a mix of carbon/charcoal and graphite. It behaves pretty much like a graphite pencil but doesn't shine that much. Just as a curiosity not that you need it at all.
Your pipe looks great! Good selection of paper too. I think you are running already, perhaps not obstacle races like with graphite, but running anyway.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Hails from Spain

3- tap - ink (Pentel water brush filled with Pelikan 4001 black ink, which is fountain pen ink) Directly in ink, but I made a previous quick pencil sketch on another paper to get a feeling of the object.

Don't worry, the water wasn't running for too long and it wasn't wasted either, for I had the plug in the sink and used the water for a shave afterwards
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 09:48 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Thanks all for your kind words of my sketches: Pinecone, Joe, Individuo.

Munin: Love your lines. When you put them together; they turn out amazing set.

Joe & Individuo: Yes, the "hanging" object was not quite... buy my sketcher friends sure "hanging out" with me in the scene for sure ... ha ha ha

Individuo: Nice radiator... Yes, my sketcher friend was sketching me and other 3 more lady sketchers...Nice take on the tap and thank you for keeping this Hunt going.

Joan: Lovely ornaments, puddle, and cool doggie statue sketches.

Joe: Amazing feather piece. Nice cane piece.

PineCone: Thank you for your kind sweet words. Beautiful stars.

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 12-22-2019 at 09:54 PM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 01:35 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Lots of sketching since I was here last... fun!

individuo, wow, I love the radiator. It is spectacular! Looks like it might be hot and steamy.... :-) I like your tap. Great way to show the metal and running water. Yes, Ai's "hanging" was original and clever. Thank you for this Hunt. You did well and so did the other sketchers!

Joan, the puppies are so nicely done. I like the Dalmatians, too, they look so grand. Which as I type I think they are Great Danes so maybe that ads the grand look. Ha.

Pine Cone - The stars are amazing and you give us such insight into our outer world. You put a lot of thought into your artwork. Thank you. That is inspiring.

Ai, looks like you had a great painting/sketching trip. Always fun to go out with other artists. The food is so appetizing. Mmmm waffles and ice cream. The artists sketching are full of life and look so absorbed in their work. I love the history you share with us, too. Applause. (I like how Pine Cone said it.)

Joe, it was foggy and sort of wet out and was just clearing up when I went out. We didn't put out the flag. Pitiful, I know. I really like your pipe with feathers. Yes, the rough side of the paper can help with texture but not detail, eh? Still nice pastel work, I like the shadows.
Winston Churchill
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 01:39 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Let's see if the busy people keep busy sketching. The new Hunt is up at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1474814

See all y'all there. You can still finish up here!
Winston Churchill
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - nice work on the faucet. Definitely says metal! Researched the Staedtler Mars Lumograph and it is not the standard 100 line but a special 100B that is part carbon. Thanks! Ordered a set from Amazon. Will let you know how they work out. Definitely cheaper than Wolff’s

Jo - I think that was last time I try the texture side. For me everything looks unfinished without detail.

See you all in the next Hunt
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 12-23-2019 at 11:00 AM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Hails from Spain

Thank you Ai, Jo and Joe for your nice comments.

Thank you very much everybody for your participation with imaginative interpretations, beautiful sketches and nice and interesting comments.

See you all in the next one. It has already started!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ai and Jo — Thanks so much 😄

Joe, "of the Southwest" 😉 — I had the same experience with my one and only try with Mi-Teintes. Never again. However, in your case, please look at this again after the holidays. It's a beautiful portrayal. Though different than what you might have expected, it has a richness of spirit that is undeniable. And it still carries your fine eye for color and texture and line and shadow and detail. Please give this side of your artistic self another chance. And this pastel, a frame.

individuo — Thanks so much 😄 Your faucet sketch is very cool — sort of "noir." Your previous comments to me, along with your expert use of fountain pens, to say nothing of your fluency in more than one language, makes me wonder if it isn't you who is a writer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
I was not speaking figuratively, while I was doing the front face of the radiator I began to feel dizzy.
This worries me a little. I hope you're okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
as dogs bark in Spanish, "guau"
I looked this up on Forvo! Cool sound 🐕 Now I'm curious how you would say whinny (horses) or meow (cats)?

Thanks for a fun event and for encouraging me to keep trying!!! 😊

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces