Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Experimenting … Finished last night

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jennie

I am thinking of doing a new version of this on pastel paper. This is my ‘cheap’ pastels on recycled paper. Concerned there might be too much white space.

Now my screen is showing my roo from the August challenge. It usually auto corrects. Will check back later and try again.

Jennie
        "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
        @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

Lovely, Jennie! I like the abstract colors to his face.

Christel

terriks

oo, I like this a lot, Jennie! Love your palette – it’s all surreal, including the background. Just really, really good.

More like this, please! :thumbsup: Makes me happy to look at it.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Jennie

Finally got back to this piece. Cray-pas professionals, on pastel paper, A3 size.

Next version/stage – still expperimenting.

Current Version

Still need another layer to tidy up and review the balance. Hair is more vibrant that it appears in the image.

Jennie
                "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe

Rich A

Very interesting Jennie! I’m enjoying the colors. The swashes of blue and green.

laika

I like it! Seems like OPs would be perfect for a bold and looser kind of expressionistic approach. I think your experiment might be considered such.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                        - Otto Rank

terriks

I like your use of the OP’s here, too, Jen. Very bold and free movements and interesting colors. Keep up the good work!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Jennie

Thanks for the lovely comments Christel, Terri, Rich and Lamar. I was really unsure about this style.

Jennie

Jennie

Have experimented some more … another version of my brother.

Pastel paper, grey, Cray-pas, A3.

Jennie

terriks

I like them both! The basic sketch is the same, but there’s a cooler palette at work here compared to the first version.

What about you, Jennie? Do you have a preference?

Terri

Jennie

Yes and No Terri. I quite like the first, but feel I need to do a few more before I get a good balance. The second one took me ages to do. Instinctively I like this style but I’m way off my sketch plan!

This was done with Cray-Pas. I think using some Mungyo next time will give me more options.

Jennie

terriks

Ah, okay – thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to seeing what else you do from this sketch plan! :)

Terri

thevaliantx

Why NOT use the white of the paper for lighting?

Jennie

:eek: Probably just the way I do things, am a painting newbie. Means I need to pre plan a bit more :) : eek)

Jennie

SarahY

Why NOT use the white of the paper for lighting?

In my experience, bare paper gets mucky. Dust clings to it, and if you get one tiny oil pastelled fingerprint on it… I always cover the whole sheet, even if it’s with the same colour as the paper. Plus, if the bare paper was the highlight in this case, we’d miss that delicious, juicy stroke of white oil pastel!

This is a vibrant and expressive portrait, lovely work.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                                            \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                                            Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.