Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Painting on non-traditional surfaces

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    zeropoint

After some of the awesome art I’ve been looking at that wasn’t painted on typical supports, I want to try painting on nontraditional surfaces. I am totally open as to what that could mean.

What unusual things have you painted on? Would you recommend it?

If there’s anything that would take some work to get, advice for that is welcome too. Thank you!

Dcam

Get a pad of Grafix duralar matt sheets.
            Used to be called frosted mylar.
            Translucent and you can paint on the back, let dry, turn it over and mess with what you painted on the front. It has just a slight tooth and acid free, archival as well.
            Derek

Anything!
            Yupo is a challenge :)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

zeropoint

Anything!
                Yupo is a challenge :)

I LOVE YUPO!

I have done 3 Yupo pieces already today.:)

zeropoint

Also, just to clarify, when I said nontraditional, I was thinking more along the lines of box tops and scrap metal and coffee cups–things that aren’t really art supplies. (But I am glad for any suggestions!)

Dcam
                        Eraethil

Try plastic canvas (the stuff that is used for crafting with yarn)? Or knit or weave your own fabric? Circuit boards make really interesting supports.

And Duralar is really very cool – you can even mold it with very hot water.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                            Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Eraethil

Or paint without a support acrylic on acrylic skin?

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Grimbo

You can paint on whatever you want, whether it flakes off over time is another matter. :-)
                                    I know people, mainly street artists that have painted on almost everything object, especially found ones.
                                    If it’s an unorthodox surface then I would certainly recommend roughing up the surface a little with sandpaper, if possible, to give the primer/gesso something to grip on to.

DMSS

Get a pad of Grafix duralar matt sheets.
                                        Used to be called frosted mylar.
                                        Translucent and you can paint on the back, let dry, turn it over and mess with what you painted on the front. It has just a slight tooth and acid free, archival as well.
                                        Derek

That sounds really cool.

--David

Guide

License plates, concrete based house siding, rain barrels, concrete and wood benches, wood benches.

Let you imagination run wild.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

AprilJoy

Walls, ceilings, clothing, rocks, cans, bottles, picture frames, pillows, vehicle seat covers, wheels (not tires), cinderblock, flower pots, hair accessories, baskets, screen doors (on the screen) branches nailed down close together to create a “surface”…everything around a home- if paint can be accidentally dripped on it, it can also be applied deliberately.

Right now the paint is being applied to plywood panels that hubby cut down to size for me.

Like IdylBrush said- let your imagination run wild :evil:
                                                ….have fun!

[FONT="Impact"]FuzzyNacho
                                                [FONT="Arial"]"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
                                                Oscar Wilde

kevinwueste

Cardboard ( parts of a box);
                                                    Various Craft Papers
                                                    Toned papers – Mi Tientes with matte medium
                                                    Mylar
                                                    plastic

I have never painted acrylics on canvas !

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                                    Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                                    http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                                    "kevinwueste" on instagram

jennifervs

Pallet Skids are fun.
                                                        As it’s been said, you can out acrylics on near anything, its just whether they adhere. Sanding and gesso will help this.

What are thinking of doing?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Painting on non-traditional surfaces’ is closed to new replies.