WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain
A Tourist Attraction

This is the Bell Tower perched high on the hill 23 kilometres inland from Benidorm. Guadalest, a beautiful village, is Costa Blanca's most visited with over 2million tourists per year. Painted on canvas 40 x 80cm.

Sorry for the poor quality photo.
As you can see, this type of subject is not my strong point, so C&C's welcome but please be gentle .
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Karen70 : 02-29-2012 at 12:30 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast
LA County, California

Hails from United States
Re: A Tourist Attraction

Hi Karen - I think the individual components are painted excellently. The colors and formation of the foliage and rocks is very believable. However - the painting looks cropped together in the stair & wall area. It could be the photo or my monitor but to me it almost looks like a collage of cut out pieces right there. Maybe this looks different when viewing the full size painting. The lines just appear too sharp to me.

This is the area I'm describing.

-John
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Thanks John for your comments. Yes, you're right it does look a bit odd, see the close up here (- no collage though ) maybe I should have used my artistic license and changed it.

And here's our original photo (a photo of a photo - it was taken before we had our digital camera!)

Regards,
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

The "face" in the middle is distracting me a lot. It's present in the original reference, but in a much more subtle way.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
LA County, California

Hails from United States

WOW - You've done an excellent job painting what you are seeing and I see it too in the original photo but my brain (or what's left of it) just isn't making sense of it. I do have to commend you on the great work you've done and the ability to hold my attention for such a long time (that's quite a feat!) ... After all isn't that what it's all about?
-John
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Immortalized

Karen, I have seen that before (on line) and thought your painting was a photograph! Wow!! I think it's perfect (:

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Thanks for your comment Shirl, and John for your reply.
And thanks Karen, you're too kind 'cos it's not that good
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Immortalized

Looked like a reference photo posted, I thought. I actually posted a similar type photo on the funny pics board on facebook. thought it was something you were 'considering'

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
Looked like a reference photo posted, I thought. I actually posted a similar type photo on the funny pics board on facebook. thought it was something you were 'considering'

Oh no - we took the photograph ourselves in 2006 .... we took a trip out to Guadalest, which is about an hour and half away from home. It was taken before we bought our digital camera, so it is shown here with a couple of others as a photo of a photo! The photos on the left and at the bottom are on the way up to the castle (the steps are actually the entrance to the upper village via a tunnel) and the photo on the right of the bell tower is taken once at the castle, which is perched at the top. There are also views to the beautiful reservoir below. In the village there are little shops selling 'nik-naks' and touristy stuff like local craft, honeys, wines etc, and little museums such as dollhouses, and miniatures. It's all very interesting and a 'must' if you ever visit this part of Spain.

Ok, Guadalest lesson over with ...

I haven't got round to successfully uploading photos on the reference library - always do something wrong and an error comes up. Will have to try again because I have quite a few stunning pictures to share (from the digital camera though ).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Immortalized

great photos Karen! No I just meant, another building perched strangely up on a rock, at another location... another 'similar' photo I once posted to the funny pics board... but I actually did think your painting was a photo so you fooled me.