Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Printmaking using recycled materials

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bridog

I have been re-purposing a few disposable materials used in my everyday living to create prints. I plan to be working with young artists in intermediate grades in a few weeks time and we will be exploring intaglio. To keep costs affordable and to promote environmental awareness through materials being used cardboard and plastic will be the matrix and printing using non-traditional oil based etching inks (Akua) or Caligo Safewash.

Here are a couple of examples I produced over the past couple of weeks.

Greeting card box clear plastic cover was re-purposed to use as a plate for drypoint engraving. Using a sketch underneath as a guide I scribed line into the surface with a drypoint needle. 10 fairly good printed images were pulled from the plate through the press before the scribed line in the thin plastic surface lightened considerably.

As the plate was very small 5.7 x 9 cm (2.25 x 3.5 inches) colouring it with different colours of ink (wiping a la poupee) isn’t really an option. I may add in colour via brush of light wash of water diluted liquid acrylic ink once they have dried.

The second print originates from cereal box cardboard packaging. I coated it with 3 layers of shellac first. I drew the image in dark graphite pencil and fine line marker on the surface then again scribed into the surface using a drypoint needle. I wiped etching ink into the scribed line and pulled about 4 prints off the plate through the etching press. I am not sure how many more prints the plate might yield though. I have been careful not to get any water on it as it might absorb through the open line and expand the paper pulp. However the oil ink may have acted as a seal.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Just tonight I made a pledge to myself not to waste so much paper – I’m terrible for grabbing a sheet – doodling – then chucking in the recycling.

I do think about the amount of perspex and copper I’ve used in printmaking.

I thought about using recycled perspex when my massive sheet runs out (including recycling the drypoint plates I’ve already used), I wonder if it can be polished up anywhere… the same goes for copper.

Some of the best art comes out of using old materials. A lot of people on this planet would give their right arms just to own some of our rubbish!!! I think about that too – how I just grab a pencil, pen, ruler, paper, a lot of people have no access to basic drawing materials.

magrit

Brian, very nice use of common materials. I especially like the cardboard one.
            I’ve been wanting to try drypoint myself, and had read about using paper/cardboard. It looks like you used the inside, or “uncoated” side of the box? If you used the slick side, would you need to shellac it? Just curious. I think it turned out quite well. The one with the plastic, the lines seem to have a bit of an ink halo, or maybe that’s just the in the posted picture?

When I think about doing drypoint it seems almost contrary: you scribe the lines (and want the delicate burr), but you have to scrape on/push in the ink, and then wipe it all off the plate, while leaving it in the lines and not damaging the burr. And then of course you smash it down in the press.

Well I am inspired by your experiments, and I guess I’ll just have to jump in and try it myself!

Sonia

Both very nice examples Bridog. Just shows you don’t always need expensive materials.

IanBertram

I make drypoints with acrylic plates. I put the ink on by wrapping a soft lint free cloth onto my index finger before dipping it into the ink and applying it gently – almost massaging it into the burr. Wiping off I’m equally gentle. It really seems to make a difference.

See this one for example – https://www.instagram.com/p/BM_s8JKj23A/?taken-by=ianbertramuk

Ian
                    Website - https://ianbertramartist.uk
                    Instagram: - https://www.instagram.com/ianbertramuk/
                    Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/ianbertramartist/

bridog

Hello Ian
                        your name sounded familiar and I realized we are both members in the Collagraph World wide group in FB.
                        Thanks for the tip on wiping ink. I have been using soft felt rolled into a double-ended dabber to apply ink (secured around the mid section with duct tape). However I have found with acrylic plate the burr is fairly short-lived…perhaps maybe 2 or 3 prints with that fuzzy edge before it disappears from subsequent prints.
                        Just curious but how many prints do you usually pull from your acrylic plates?

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

IanBertram

There seems to be a huge variation in the number of prints I can get from drypoint plates. I’ve used acrylic glazing, acrylic sold as drypoint plates, sheets from old picture frames but no pattern emerges. I have come to the conclusion that the variable is me! I find making drypoints physically very demanding. Holding the tool at the acute angle needed is hard on my hand and wrist and I’m guessing sometimes I do better than others.

I’ve never got more than 10 though, including trial pulls and proofs, although others talk of up to 20. Of course what you think is a good pull will itself vary. I can maximise what I get by very gentle treatment of the plate as I described. I’ve also found that if I roll over the inked up and wiped plate the background colour created masks some of the loss of quality of the line. You run the risk however of some of the ink from the lines being lifted out, transferring to the roller and then being laid down again. I think this might be minimised by using a very stiff ink for the lines and a much looser one for the rolling. This makes the first inking harder of course, because I’ve found that a loose ink is easier to get into every last line. The print I linked toearlier is made that way.

I haven’t done it yet, but I’m going to experiment with printing over a wash put down, watercolour fashion, but with acrylics so the paper can be soaked for printing.

Finally I’ve also found that the paper makes a difference. A smooth, fairly dense paper seems to grab more of the ink from the lines, than the softer paper I use for collagraphs.

Hope that’s helped.

Ian
                            Website - https://ianbertramartist.uk
                            Instagram: - https://www.instagram.com/ianbertramuk/
                            Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/ianbertramartist/

bridog

thanks Ian
                                I too have found there appear to be many variables that influence print quality and yield. Type of paper, ink and viscosity, depth of incised line. Also the type of acrylic plate and thickness appear to factor.
                                I generally use plexiglass (known outside of N. America as perspex, styrene, acrylite..). I started on fairly thick acrylic plate (over 4 mm thickness) and of course had to file the plate edges to a 45 degree bevel. I then moved into a thinner acrylic (2 – 3mm) used for framing of art. A few years ago I discovered I could obtain commercial packaging acrylic from a supplier for the Ontario College of Art and Design printmaking program in Toronto. This is very thin and strong material. Not only am I a studio based artist but additionally I teach art as a p/t sub-contracted art educator in schools. The packaging acrylic is used exclusively for drypoint in the classroom as it was affordable and appears to give good results for very small editions of 1 or 2 prints produced by students. The only drawback is that it can have a little bit of a “bow” so we compensate by using small amount of stick tack on the corners underside to secure it over a sketch on a desk surface. It is thin enough that no filing of edges is required. Students use home-made etching needles (stainless steel darning needle inset into a thin wood dowel handle). I also supply small cut strips of nail file board (emery) and pieces of different grade sanding papers that can add interesting effects besides lines produced by needle.

After trial and error using various inks I observed better results with print transfer were produced using a slightly stiffer ink. So we switched from Akua over to Caligo safewash with just a small amount of easy-wipe compound added. As for wiping back the plate surface small bundles of a softer polyester based web-like fabric from a fabric shop does a good job. The plate is then very carefully surface polished using a thin coated tissue (from a doctor’s office…used on examination tables). Highlights can also be achieved with selective spot wiping using pointed tip cotton swabs. I bring a small portable etching press to the schools with a phenolic press bed and 3 felts.

At the moment I am working with several level 5/6 and 7/8 art classes who are using drypoint as the technique to produce small miniature prints from acrylic plates. They have the added opportunity to not only try wiping ink à la poupée but also incorporate collage (chine-collé) and hand-colour should they choose.
                                We are using an inexpensive all media printmaking rag paper that originates from the Netherlands. It is a generic brand name sold by the same retailer I get the acrylic plate product from. It is similar in texture and weight to Stonehenge rag.

And as you have most likely seen as in account and photo in the first post of this thread I have been experimenting myself with this same type of thin acrylic plate.

Brian

Hazartist

These examples are exceptional!

These are wonderful!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                    Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.