WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

You can use Da Vinci watercolors without having to thin them with water. They are quite opaque right out of the tube, just don't lay it down too thick, which you shouldn't do with gouache either. Their watercolor range is much more broad with fewer hues or tints.
My Blog
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

Seems like this thread could go on forever (and maybe it should, because if I'm wrong and there really is something better, I truly want to know about it, honestly!).

I have but one personal observation. I don't remember the brands (two or three of them) I *was* using but, a professional artist college of mine told me that there was only one gouache, Winsor & Newton. So I bought the six color set, which has served me very well, with the "kid safe" AP mark on it and a little line stating it was "Made in England by Winsor & Newton London HA3 5RH", not China, as someone has said. Let me tell you, it was a Bi*ch to learn to work with. Because I had never seen such intense pigmentation, I ended up using the small end of a small tooth pick to add the darker hues due to the intense pigmentation. Yes, it is expensive, quite so - no doubt about it. Even at discount (Cheap Joe's) it's like $7.00 a 14ml tube but, there really is nothing like it. It is the most pigmented, consistent gouache I have ever laid a brush to. Tube to tube, the results are gorgeous! So yes, if you are a part-time artist, it might be difficult justify the expense but, if you make your living with color, as I do, THIS IS THE ONE. It will dry out quickly in an air conditioned environment but, it takes additional water very well if you keep an eye on it before it starts to get thick. Once it's dry, it's dry and I've yet to have it flake off on me. So to sum it up, W&N gouache is like Prismacolor pencils and markers (again, my personal favorites, maybe just because I know what to expect); quality at a premium price for the person who pays their rent and buys their food with color. I know we all have our favorites and some may disagree but, as I said in the beginning, this is a personal observation from someone who depends on quality and consistency from tube to tube, marker to marker and pencil to pencil. I would honestly like to hear destining opitions, coz I know I don't know it all.

Peace -

- Sharon

Last edited by Carolinagirl38D : 09-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.