Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Naming paintings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

Apparently many artists put a lot of thought into naming their paintings. I’m one who doesn’t. To me, a painting is a visual statement and usually doesn’t need any verbal interpretation. So I just use simple descriptive titles, such as XYZ Lake in Winter. Ironically, I worked as a writer for many years, but I don’t wax poetic with my titles.

I’m not criticizing those who name their paintings, but I’m curious about the process. Do you come up with a name or theme before you start or complete a painting, or does it come to you afterwards? Do you consider the name an essential part of the painting? Do you feel that it adds to someone’s appreciation or understanding of the work?

Dcam

Hi Tom: I try to get the title down in a brief word or two. I don’t like to get cliche; like “serenity” or “solitude”. I think just adding “untitled” or a number to the work is NOT going to help sell it in the average gallery.
            I guess “Tasteful” is the way I go.
            I think the customer is owed some kind of title when their work is displayed in the home. Just me though.

TWAdair Art

I title mine after they are finished. sometimes it takes a while to come up with a good name. Usually 1 or 2 words. I see the title as being like a bow that ties up a present. Once its finished, you sign it, and give it a name. And at that point it feels completed!

contumacious

Weird, long, BIG or “fancy” titles for me are like gigantic red signatures – They detract from the visual experience. If the title and/or the signature are/is the (two) most attention getting aspect(s) of the painting……….

Something that fits the subject, short and simple is what I prefer. I absolutely would never put the title anywhere on the front of the painting or on the frame, and am put off when I see that on other’s work unless it is just a sketch or a study or in the case of original prints, along the bottom of the image area along with the edition number and signature. I blame the centuries(?) old tradition for my accepting the printmaking deal.

I do find naming paintings very difficult. I dislike the process immensely.

Raffless

Not at all. Call it No.1 No.2 or No.3 if you want. Working as a pro photographer for many years im very used to this. Only people on Flickr etc try to come up with a clever name. I know a lot of pro togs who use the ‘untitled’ name quite a lot. It didnt make any difference to their careers. Many famous painters didnt bother either . Rothko used untitled a lot. Or just Red on Maroon etc. No thinking. It is what it is. Its entirely subjective if you want to but makes no difference in the end.

KEVIN$

I keep it simple and use:

PITA #1, PITA #2, PITA #3, etc…

ks

Kevin Slaby
                            2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                            http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

AllisonR

I keep it simple and use:

PITA #1, PITA #2, PITA #3, etc…

ks

:lol: :lol:

I register all my time, so I have to name a painting in order to register the time on it. However, it’s usually just a working title. Sometimes the name becomes clear while painting, and sometimes by the end I still don’t have a name, so I have to think about it more. I like short, clear names.

But I am not opposed to cheekiness or irony. For example, a recent painting is a portrait of my daughter in a red dress. I originally just titled it “Lea in a Red Dress”. But there is a very popular song here titled “Se min kjole” (See my Dress) which is a song about a girl in a red dress. So I titled it “Se min kjole”. Any english speaking person will only understand the title “See my dress” in a literal way. But any Danish person would immediately think of the song when looking at the painting.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                RogueRipple

Call it No.1 No.2 or No.3 if you want.

Many of mine would fall squarely into the “No.2” category.:lol:
                                    But seriously, songs have names, books have names, movies have names, poems have names; why shouldn’t paintings have names? I prefer simple, descriptive names–but names nonetheless.

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

Cassandra_Fay

I title all of them, my buyers like for their paintings to have interesting names and I enjoy coming up with a name that gives clues to the inspiration of the painting.

^ same as Cassandra.
                                        I need a clear visual idea when I start the painting if I want it to be successful. So I usually find a word or two for the title as I am painting.
                                        Titles for exhibitions are a bit more challenging for me, though as I like to have a play-on-words that grabs attention.

bethany
                                        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                                        website www.bethanyart.com
                                        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

kin3

John, Bob, Eric, etc.
                                            Mary, June, Megan, etc. All good names.

Does gender mean anything?

bhindi

99% of my paintings don’t have names. I’m sure coming up with a name will take longer than actually doing the painting, for me.

contumacious

Many of mine would fall squarely into the “No.2” category.:lol:
                                                    But seriously, songs have names, books have names, movies have names, poems have names; why shouldn’t paintings have names? I prefer simple, descriptive names–but names nonetheless.

I drove through a vacation home development where most of the homes had their names displayed proudly on some kind of sign out front or attached to the house. Some listed the owner’s first names or their full names with or without a title for the house. Often they were done quite elaborately in carved wood, even stone. I would be tempted to name my home “Money Pit” but the HOA Gestapo would likely make me remove it.

Pinguino

I read somewhere (can’t find the link) that Yves Klein once exhibited some of his Anthropometries with random prices. All sold at the specified price.

This suggests titling paintings as $439, $523.86, $1203.44, and so forth.

For those who insist that art should increase in value with time, you might try a title such as 32 Shares of Google, although I expect that the parent corporation would file a lawsuit about that.

steveo2015

I enjoy coming up with creative titles. Sometimes I come up with the idea for a painting and the title before I actually paint it. Here’s an example. The title is “You are what you eat.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.